neotobeo

tumblr_no09ypp7UT1uran3io1_540.jpgtumblr_no09ypp7UT1uran3io2_540.jpg

1. Appearance & Design (10)Large, simple, and elegant. Beautiful contrast between mirror finish on the ebonite and the rhodium plating on the simple section ring, nib, and clip.
  2. Construction & Quality (10) Well constructed. Wonderfully smooth threading between section and barrel. O-ring on section gives a confident tight connection when threading in section to barrel. Flawless polished finish on the ebonite that looks to be at least a mile deep. The ebonite has excellent hand feel - warm to the touch - begs to be used (this is even before one considers the nib).
  3. Weight & Dimensions (8) Large pen (See comparison to Mont Blanc 149, Pelikan M1000). Surprisingly light for the size. Excellent dimensions for those enjoying larger pens (length and girth).
  4. Nib & Performance (10)This #9 21k Sailor Nib is ridiculous. Same size nib as the 149 though the 21k vs. 18k, tine length, and adjustments to the nib make for the most amazing writing experience on fountain pen friendly paper and cheap paper alike. The nib glides across the paper while also seemingly grabbing the paper just enough to let you know you are using a fountain pen. The description of feedback similar to writing with an old-school #2 pencil is apt. The nib does allow for line variation with regular writing without stressing the nib to any significant degree. Works with all inks trialled thus far: Sailor, Noodler's BBKF, Iroshizuku, J. Herbin. This is an amazing nib - worth the price of admission.
  5. Filling System & Maintenance (5) - For the price one expects to have some technology and effort put into the filling system - not so much with this pen. The converter holds an acceptable amount of ink for routine business or school work x a few days. For travel one would need to bring additional ink. Upside is the easy of cleaning and maintenance. If adjusts could be made to make this an eyedropper - that would be most excellent.
  6. Cost & Value (8) Expensive pen ~$550.00. As stated above, the nib is worth the price of admission.
  7. Conclusion (Final score, 8.5) - I truly enjoy using this pen - daily. I would buy it again and plan to get one with the Naginata Togi nib (another amazing Sailor nib that I enjoy on the 1911).

tumblr_no09cfa39H1uran3io9_540.jpg

Sailor KOP Ebonite, Visconti HS Bronze, Pelikan M1000, MB 149, Sailor 1911, Platinum 3776, ASA Porus

tumblr_no09cfa39H1uran3io5_540.jpg

Sailor KOP Ebonite, Visconti HS Bronze, Pelikan M1000, MB 149, Sailor 1911, Platinum 3776, ASA Porus

tumblr_no09cfa39H1uran3io4_540.jpg

Sailor KOP Ebonite, MB 149, Pelikan M1000

tumblr_no09cfa39H1uran3io3_540.jpg

tumblr_no09cfa39H1uran3io2_540.jpg

Brothers from another mother - Sailor KOP Ebonite and MB 149

tumblr_no09cfa39H1uran3io1_540.jpg

#9 Nibs

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ArchiMark

• neotobeo

• mehandiratta

• J85909266

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That Porus is enormous. I hadn't realized how much so.

Great review. That's a gorgeous looking pen, I'd love to own one some day. What nib did you get with it?

Thanks for the review. The Ebonite KoP is my favorite prospect for my first high end pen.

Does the Asa Porous have a nib big enough to fit that huge body?

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

Ah, very nice! I didn't realize the Porus had a #9 nib. Thanks!

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

Excellent review....and agree with your assessment....the KOP is a super pen with a wonderful nib....

I have the black urushi version with the Naginata Togi nib.......fabulous.......

Mark

PS. That Porus looks like quite the monster pen.......wow!................

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

• 5 months later...

I just purchased the Ebonite Sailor KOP with the Naginata Toga medium fine nib, I received it yesterday and after a day of using the Sailor KOP I must say I'm very disappointed. I compared it to my Pelikan M1000 extra fine and the KOP seems too dry for the line width. I understand and except that it won't be as fine as the my Pelikan but instead of a dark crisp line like the Pelikan M1000 it's broad and subdued, almost like it's a little blurry. I'm using Montblanc permanent blue ink and Rhodia paper. See image below comparing the two pens, both pens are using the same ink. It isn't as noticeable in the pic below but the Sailor KOP line is much lighter in color that the Pelikan.

post-125573-0-82015200-1446012953_thumb.jpg

It would be a damn shame to have the nib reworked since I paid a lot more for the Naginata Toga nib, but as it is, I just don't like it. Any suggestions? Any recommendations on a nib meister? I'm planning on attending the Los Angeles pen show in February, will there be a good nib meister there? Also is the nib on the Sailor user removable?

Thanks,

Bill Kiel

Porus is fitted with #8 Ambitious nib (40 mm) gold tone.

I have already done review of the same.

ASA Porus

img_20150403_1649082.jpg?w=768

Looks like this in the Hand

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

tumblr_no09cfa39H1uran3io5_540.jpg

tumblr_no09cfa39H1uran3io4_540.jpg

tumblr_no09cfa39H1uran3io3_540.jpg

I will buy this one when i have enough money. Thank you for the amazing review

Edited by mehandiratta

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

I just purchased the Ebonite Sailor KOP with the Naginata Toga medium fine nib, I received it yesterday and after a day of using the Sailor KOP I must say I'm very disappointed. I compared it to my Pelikan M1000 extra fine and the KOP seems too dry for the line width. I understand and except that it won't be as fine as the my Pelikan but instead of a dark crisp line like the Pelikan M1000 it's broad and subdued, almost like it's a little blurry. I'm using Montblanc permanent blue ink and Rhodia paper. See image below comparing the two pens, both pens are using the same ink. It isn't as noticeable in the pic below but the Sailor KOP line is much lighter in color that the Pelikan.

attachicon.gifIMG_3508A.JPG

It would be a damn shame to have the nib reworked since I paid a lot more for the Naginata Toga nib, but as it is, I just don't like it. Any suggestions? Any recommendations on a nib meister? I'm planning on attending the Los Angeles pen show in February, will there be a good nib meister there? Also is the nib on the Sailor user removable?

Thanks,

Bill Kiel

Bill,

The nibmeister you want to see at the show is Michael Masuyama. He's the master....and a great guy too...

Pelikans and Sailors are quite different pens.....but Michael can adjust for you....

See his website for more info on him and his services....

http://mikeitwork.com/NibRepair.html

Best,

Mark

The Porus comes fitted with am Ambitious 40mm nib. Incidentally both the MB 149 and KOP have nibs that are exactly 40mm long. The exposed length of the nibs vary based on feed and section design.

Regards,

Prithwijit

Click here to check out my reviews

Fosfor Rajendran | ASA Santulan | Ranga Sugarcane | ASA Sniper | Fosfor Heather | ASA I-Will | Hero Glorious | ASA Azaadi | Fosfor Islander | ASA Halwa | ASA Macaw | ASA Namenlos | ASA Bheeshma

• 1 month later...

Excellent review....and agree with your assessment....the KOP is a super pen with a wonderful nib....

I have the black urushi version with the Naginata Togi nib.......fabulous.......

Mark

PS. That Porus looks like quite the monster pen.......wow!................

Hi Mark!

Can you please help with a picture of the Black KOP in Urushi with NM. This particular combination has been on my mind for sometime now!!

Thanks,

Prads

When I grow up, I want to be a great lawyer. Until then, I practice. - A.Davis

Thanks for the review. It's a great pen and I enjoy using it. My only regret is that uncapped it's about one centimetre shorter than what would have been perfect for my hand.

Hi Mark!

Can you please help with a picture of the Black KOP in Urushi with NM. This particular combination has been on my mind for sometime now!!

Thanks,

Prads

Hi Prads,

Just sent you message regarding photos.....

Best,

Mark

Hi Prads,

Just sent you message regarding photos.....

Best,

Mark

Thank you Mark!!!!

When I grow up, I want to be a great lawyer. Until then, I practice. - A.Davis

• 9 months later...

I know it's not the same, but the 21K nib on my PG II is REDONCULOUSLY good. The reason I'm selling mine is due to the size of the pen, not the nib. The nib is GLORIOUS. For a M nib or Western F, it is superb. Smooth, just enough feedback, and when you mix it all on good paper, wow!

That was my first "expensive," pen and despite it not "fitting me," in all ways, it opened my eyes pretty wide!

“My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill

Bill

I am sorry to learn your KOP is not living up to your expectations. I am going to try and offer some suggestions, without actually knowing whether you know any of this. So apologies in advance if you're already fully aware and the nib is truly not as well tuned.

First the Naginata Togi nibs are designed for Japanese/ Chinese calligraphy, where the writing strokes are lot shorter, and the nibs are tuned for less wetness. Otherwise the details of the characters will be lost with a very wet nib. Most times the nib is held at a South East 45 degree angle for maximum stroke widths. This does not mean the nibs are not suitable for Western style writing. But you have to manage your expectations with regard to crispness of the line as it will be like writing with a fairly broad architects point. If you're used to fine nibs up to this point, the Naginata nib will take some getting used to.

However if your nib is truly as dry as you have said, perhaps lifting the wings of the nibs will increase the wetness a little? Here's how to do it. Place the pen end down on a flat surface, perhaps in a cup, with the nib up, feed facing you. Using the the nail of your thumb under each wing, gently bend/push the wings away from the feed while your other fingers hold the pen down. Of course do this SLOWLY. I have found this method works well with some of the drier Sailor nibs I own. This technique is demonstrated in some Youtube videos of the more well known pen reviewers.

I have 4 KOPs and love them all. When I got my first KOP, I had a skipping issue and was too terrified to adjust the nib myself and had to send it off to Mike. However, after owning numerous pens after, I am a lot more comfortable making minor adjustments. I had to adjust my latest KOP in the same way.

Hope this helps?!

attachicon.gifIMG_3508A.JPG

Thanks,

Bill Kiel

Edited by gerigo