Eboya Pens?

Namo

They have a huge back log. There are just two people making the pens and the only mass produced, interchangeable parts are the metal parts. So each part for each pen is handmade to match that pen. Very similar to me older vintage Conklins. It is very hard to find parts that fit even when two pens seem to be exactly the same. They have such a backlog that they have put a hold on their service of making replacement parts for vintage pens until they can get caught up, which makes me sad.

Ink shut off or Japanese eye drop filled pens are a lot more complex than a regular eye dropper pen. They have a shaft that penetrates the barrel and thus requires a seal. Further, a valve disc and seat must be fashioned if it is to shut off flow. I have not used one so I can not speak on the burping issue someone asked about.

Incidentally, I purchased my very first Eboya Monday at the Maruzen pen fair.

I heard the same thing from a staff in Eboya at the Maruzen pen fair. Now in real terms only one craftman is making Eboya pens.

He is so busy that he cannot take a holiday. Only 3 pens can be made per a day. Raw ebonite added by coloring matter is hard to secure intensity. So the yield rate is not high. A long period of trial and error has been continued even now.

rokurinpapa

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tinjapan

• rpsyed

• shuuemura

• Namo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congrats! The Kyouka is such an awesome model.

Thanks. I am really liking it. Well worth the wait.

I heard the same thing from a staff in Eboya at the Maruzen pen fair. Now in real terms only one craftman is making Eboya pens.

He is so busy that he cannot take a holiday. Only 3 pens can be made per a day. Raw ebonite added by coloring matter is hard to secure intensity. So the yield rate is not high. A long period of trial and error has been continued even now.

rokurinpapa

So just the one guy is actually making them. I have met two who are working with the pens and thought both were actually working on them. And at only three pens a day it is easy the see why they have such a back log. Wonder if perhaps they became even more popular than they had hoped.

The closest station is 荒川一中前, Arakawa ichumae, or it may be ichomae on the Arakawa denser. On the Hibiya line, Minowa station is about a ten minute walk from the shop, which between these two stations.

Is this the correct address for the shop:

〒116-0002東京都荒川区荒川1-38-4

And this means they are open Wednesdays and Fridays from 1pm to 6pm?

営業日:水、金 13時~18時

Planning my itinerary for summer trip to Tokyo and think it would be nice to visit their shop!

Edited by sugna

Would you share what you have on order? :)

Large Kyouka, red, eyedropper...

Too many pens; too little writing.

Is this the correct address for the shop:

〒116-0002東京都荒川区荒川1-38-4

And this means they are open Wednesdays and Fridays from 1pm to 6pm?

営業日:水、金 13時~18時

Planning my itinerary for summer trip to Tokyo and think it would be nice to visit their shop!

Yes, that looks to be correct. You'll want to call before going out there though. Don't know if you have spent a lot of time in Japan or not, but if you have not you may not think that you are in the right area. The shop and factory are in a residential area. Google maps directed me right there though.

When are you planning on coming?

Yes, that looks to be correct. You'll want to call before going out there though. Don't know if you have spent a lot of time in Japan or not, but if you have not you may not think that you are in the right area. The shop and factory are in a residential area. Google maps directed me right there though.

When are you planning on coming?

I will definitely call! Planning for July sometime.

An open question to Eboya pen owners: how do the nib widths match up to Japanese standards? i.e. does an Eboya Fine nib put down the same narrow line width as a typical Japanese fine nib? Or do they tend to run broader, similar to their Western brethren? Thanks.

The M size nib feels like a very well flowing European M nib while the MF and F nib have this exact touch of a Japanese nib. It is a Bock nib but very well tuned by a Japanese hand and that is what you experience. I find the MF and F leaning more to a Japanese nib. It is very difficult to explain the sensation but they are amazing.

Catherine Van Hove

www.sakurafountainpengallery.com

Koning Albertstraat 72b - 3290 DIest - Belgium

another request: can someone pls post a pic of the feeder on their C/C Eboya pen?

Hari,

Here is a pic of the feed on my C/C KYOUKA.post-92404-0-00058100-1457404234_thumb.jpeg

Hari,

Here is a pic of the feed on my C/C KYOUKA.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Thank you so much. This is clearly a plastic feed. So Eboya C/C pens have the stock feeder(Bock) and their Eyedropper pens seem to have the Japanese Ebonite feeder.

Best

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thank you so much. This is clearly a plastic feed. So Eboya C/C pens have the stock feeder(Bock) and their Eyedropper pens seem to have the Japanese Ebonite feeder.

Best

Hari

Yeah, definitely. My medium-size Kyouka's feed looks very different and is definitely ebonite. My nib point is a medium and the line it puts down seems comparable to what you'd get with a JoWo medium.

http://i.imgur.com/St1cu50.jpg

I got my Namiki Emperor vermillion a day back from Tokyo shop, had it shipped to me in Kyoto. Really didn't have any interest in going to Tokyo since I couldn't attend the pen fair anyway.

The filling system is great and the nib is quite smooth with generous flow. I have written around 8-9 pages with it and there seems to be no problems so far.

The eyedropper shut-off valve doesn't protrude outside the barrel like in the case of eboya pens, at least when the shut-off valve is closed.

Extremely comfortable for long writing sessions despite it's size. I'm tempted by the ED pens now so I have been considering adding an Eboya if the wait is only 3-4 months.

post-127041-0-12882400-1457431760_thumb.jpeg

post-127041-0-31004800-1457431846_thumb.jpeg

Very nice Emperor! I have been in correspondence with Eboya and they tell me the current waiting time for an eyedropper pen is 5-6 months. Of course the wait might be shorter if you are in Japan itself.

Gorgeous! I'm usually one for flat-tops but the Emperor is stunning and the nib is so elegant.

I'm not sure if the shut-off seal protrudes from the barrel in all Eboya ED pens or just the Kyouka, but it definitely does in mine. In my Danitrio Mikado, the shut-off seal is completely contained in the barrel when the section is unscrewed.

Eboya was also at the Mitsukoshi pen fair, so I asked about the feeds. The feeds for all the Japanese eye droppers are ebonite hand crafted by themselves. The feeds for the small KYOUKA are all plastic Bock feeds. For the remaining models, either can be found. I asked if the size or style of the pen determined the material for the feed and he answered "No". They are still working out which is best to use for each size and model.

As someone else wrote, there is still a lot of trial and error on the production line.