Eboya Pens?

Namo

Anyone with first hand experience? Seems a decent Danitrio alternative, at least for some models and if you are not looking for urushi.

Edited by Namo

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tinjapan

• rpsyed

• shuuemura

• Namo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw them at a pen show, and they looked terrific. Nice people, too. I don't have any writing experience, but I sure was tempted!

I tried some at the Mitsukoshi pen show. Wide variety of ebonite eye droppers and converters. The brown ones caught my eye but they were occupied by quite a few other buyers. Nib feel was similar to their Pilot equivalents.

Inquisitive Quill on Instagram and YouTube 

Agree that they are a good Dani alternative. I like the option for an eye dropper with shut off, but that really raises the price. For now I plan to stick to hunting used Danis for the same price.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Thanks for the infos! I am looking forward to a review...

The ED configuration is what interest me the most. And now that Mr Cheng is not activly commercialy implicated with Danitrio, decent prices are hard to find. And I for one prefer the feeling of ebonite over urushi's.

amonjak.com

Thanks for the infos! I am looking forward to a review...

The ED configuration is what interest me the most. And now that Mr Cheng is not activly commercialy implicated with Danitrio, decent prices are hard to find. And I for one prefer the feeling of ebonite over urushi's.

Well then take the plunge (and write a review!!!!)!

Too many pens; too little writing.

Well then take the plunge (and write a review!!!!)!

Sadly not in 2015. Unless the year get better, and if the Canadian dollar stops going down...

amonjak.com

I have an eyedropper Tanshin Red Kyouka on order from nibs.com but it'll be a few months before delivery. I ordered it at the end of March and was told 4 - 6 months. It'll be my first Japanese eyedropper. If I like the system (and I think I will) I'm planning to get Danitrio Mikado down the line. I'll definitely write a review when it gets here!

Edited by rpsyed

I am interested the physical nibs sizes on these pens? Are they #5 and #6 nibs? Is it a #8 nib on the large pens?

I plan to stop by the shop next week if my schedule allows. I can check the nib sizes then if I can't find out via their website.

Yes, the finish is ebonite, polished but otherwise untreated. This means they will fade over time and more quickly if exposed to direct sunlight.

From the not-so-great pics of the site, the ebonite looks great! I esp. love the green one, from the the Houdjou model.

amonjak.com

I believe they use the smaller #6 on the medium (Bock 220) and the large #6 on the large (Bock 250). And the #5 on the small. It would be awesome to have the #8 (Bock 380) on the large. I ordered the medium size for my Kyouka but would have gone for large had it been the #8 nib.

I believe they use the smaller #6 on the medium (Bock 220) and the large #6 on the large (Bock 250). And the #5 on the small. It would be awesome to have the #8 (Bock 380) on the large. I ordered the medium size for my Kyouka but would have gone for large had it been the #8 nib.

Thanks. I might go with the Medium. I wonder if I can get one from Eboya directly without a nib and put in a titanium nib afterwards.

• 1 month later...

My trip to Eboya had to be put off until today. These are the nib sizes they have. The numbers are the manufacturer's (Bock) numbers. From smallest to largest; 076, 180, 220, 250 and 380.

Hope this helps.

Ooh, very cool. I thought the largest they used was the 250. After the medium size Kyouka arrives, I'll probably look into getting one with the 380 nib.

What was your trip to Eboya like? Did you get to play with or purchase any pens?

Thanks for the info!

Ooh, very cool. I thought the largest they used was the 250. After the medium size Kyouka arrives, I'll probably look into getting one with the 380 nib.

What was your trip to Eboya like? Did you get to play with or purchase any pens?

Thanks for the info!

The large nib is for their oversized pen.

Yesterday's visit was very short, no time to play with the toys. It was just to check on the progress of the repair of a pen I dropped off a while ago and to drop off three others I did not have time to my last visit because I was playing with the pens.

The shop is small, tidy and very nice. They have a large number of their pens laid out on a large wooden table in the center. They also sell pen rests and trays made of ebonite. I bought a pen rest my first visit.

I have not bought one of their pens but they are on my wish list. I am especially interested in their ink shut off eye dropper.

I like the look but the stock Bock nib is a killer for me :( is that wrong?

I had the same question and asked about Bock nibs in another forum. While not special, there seems to be almost an universal opinion of their quality being very high. All the ones used by Eboya are solid gold, 14 k for all but the largest which is 21 k. It also seems that Bock makes some nibs for other big name brands that are thought to be produced in house.

For myself, I have fallen for vintage Conklin nibs. Although I have a lot of modern pens with nibs I also love, none of my modern nibs compare with these vintage nibs. So on that point, the Bock nib doesn't bother me. Still, I remain a bit reluctant to pay full price for these pens with a Bock nib but I am begining to lean that way. I feel that I probably would have bought one if they had a Japanese made nib but I think that is only due to the fact that the rest of the pen is made by a Japanese craftsman. If I were to run across a hand made German pen with a Sailor nib, I think I would pass on it in favor for one with a German made nib.