Lubricating The Piston On A Meisterstück 149

meiers

I have not yet but I'm glad for the pics here. Thank you meiers.

I do have a question about tools though. In an earlier thread I saw mention of a couple that cost more than $60. Or, build it yourself variations that all require a Dremel. sigh... But I have also seen on the bay from a seller in China a couple of fairly reasonably priced versions. The question is, has anyone purchased and used these? Are they real usable tools, or cheap pot-metal pen killers?

Any recommends on where to purchase a good piston and a good nib tool?

I purchased the tool on eBay from the aforementioned China seller yesterday (Monday). Once it arrives, I will do my best to post photos and the process herein. I live in California so I am not sure how long it will take for the piston removal tool to arrive. I plan on using two different lubricants to test: The liquid grease that was included with my TWSBI and the silicone paste purchased from Goulet.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• Erik Dalton

• niksch

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll also be looking forward to the pics and to knowing if the tool is worthwhile (and how long it takes to arrive). The pens I have now do not need it but I seem to have won a gamble bid on a 146 last week and no telling what condition it will actually be in. I have a small container of silicone grease that I have used to good effect on some of my older Pelikans... I plan to use it on MB as well if I need to (vaseline just seems so wrong :unsure: ).

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

What I find to be best for me, is I don't turn the tool. Once I've got the two little lugs in place and screw the cap down to secure it, then I rest the cap end on my chest (with the cap on) and turn the entire pen keeping the tool stationery. I found that when I was turning the tool to loosen or tighten, then it would occasionally slip.

I use the same method. Screw down the cap holding everything secure, turn the barrel. I do the same procedure with M-800 and 1000's

A cleverly bent paperclip does in fact work just as well as a bespoke (and expensive) piston removal tool. I've always used the silicone grease that came with my TWSBI pens - it's a little on the runny side and needs to be replaced relatively often (once every few months) but otherwise makes for a very smooth filling process.

I use a tool from the Chinese seller as well. Worked like a charm, though the edges of it were a bit rough, and worried I might possibly scratch the pen (it wasn't mine) I rounded them off. Nice tool, works well.

"Oh deer."

I use a tool from the Chinese seller as well. Worked like a charm, though the edges of it were a bit rough, and worried I might possibly scratch the pen (it wasn't mine) I rounded them off. Nice tool, works well.

What did you use to smooth out the edges before using it on your pen?

• 2 weeks later...

Varying Grades of Micromesh, mostly on the course end of the scale.

"Oh deer."

I remember when I bought my tools for MB nibs and pistons for several year and models, they were painfully expensive. I've got my money's worth as I use them all the time, but they were more expensive than necessary. This is one time I applaud the Chinese practice of copying other people's work.

Now, somebody please come up with an alternative to the pink bubblegum sealant for the two part bodies and nibs.

I purchased the tool on eBay from the aforementioned China seller yesterday (Monday). Once it arrives, I will do my best to post photos and the process herein. I live in California so I am not sure how long it will take for the piston removal tool to arrive. I plan on using two different lubricants to test: The liquid grease that was included with my TWSBI and the silicone paste purchased from Goulet.

The "liquid" silicone grease that came with your TWISBI will work well for lubricating the piston head, and the inside of the barrel. Be careful not to get any near the ink channels to the nib.

I use the thicker stuff from goulet for the piston worm gear and anywhere I want to create a seal in a threaded joint, such as screwing the piston housing back into the barrel. Be careful not to overtighten.

I've also used the thicker grease successfully, as a replacement for the MB pink bubblegum sealant used on the nib assembly.

Good luck. Send pics.

I use a tool from the Chinese seller as well. Worked like a charm

The wait for me was 32 days.

Nice little tool and works well but I'll be ordering from Max next time.

• 5 months later...

What I find to be best for me, is I don't turn the tool. Once I've got the two little lugs in place and screw the cap down to secure it, then I rest the cap end on my chest (with the cap on) and turn the entire pen keeping the tool stationery. I found that when I was turning the tool to loosen or tighten, then it would occasionally slip.

I believe the action of unscrewing the piston can "screw up" the spindle. Working carefully and gently makes sense.

I do that as well. The temptation to over torque is harder to do when turning the barrel rather than the handle of a wrench.

There is a lot more feel of the pen this way...*shruggs* it works for me, and I find that I make fewer mistakes.

Does the TWSBI spanner work or is that a myth?

Metal TWISBI. Spanner works on a Pelikan M800 & 1000. Not on Montblanc.

I also got my piston removal tool on eBay and have now used it on many of my MB pens. Very much worth the purchase. I only use the liquid silicon grease that came with my TWSBI pens as lubricant and it has worked like a charm each and every time. Now my pistons glide effortlessly.

I would like to post photos but I can't figure out how to include photos using my iPhone anymore. Need to upgrade this phone soon. Sorry guys

Edited by 888007888

I used some Teflon grease (since I had it handy for my mechanical keyboard) to lube the piston of a 149 I just picked up on ebay. The piston was really hard to turn at the start but is buttery smooth after the lube.

You can find it here https://www.amazon.com/Finish-Line-Extreme-Fluoro-Syringe/dp/B002L5UL92/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1506022841&sr=8-9&keywords=krytox

Edited by SpecTP