Noodler's Ink - Black Swan In Australian Roses

AgentVenom

* originally posted on my Instagram.

Ink Review: Noodler's Ink, Black Swan in Australian Roses(BS). Grade: 60%.

BS is my first Noodler's ink in the purple spectrum. It's an amazing shader that I would say is either a Tyrian or Byzantium purple that fades into black.

From what I understand, this ink is considered semi-bulletproof with most of those permanent qualities belonging to the black aspects of this ink.

I should also point out that the ink I am reviewing is the old BS ink. Due to resource limitations, the shade of the ink in new bottles of BS is now more of a purpureus color (think the color of a Purple Heart).

This ink is very wet and takes a long time to dry. It's a very smooth writer, but due to its wetness, it feathers quite a lot and will bleed through the page rendering cheap paper almost useless on the other side.

If you can get your hands on this discontinued shade, I would highly recommend it.

post-116959-0-65353200-1430708319_thumb.jpg

Freedom lies in being bold - Robert Frost

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AgentVenom

• inkstainedruth

• FayeV

• A144

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The original formula is back. It's mentioned on the Goulet website (http://www.gouletpens.com/n19065/p/N19065): "The original formulation is BACK! (as of 2/27/15) "

I have a bottle of the original and it is one of my favorites. I like using it in wider nibs.

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

Although I have a bottle of the original formula, I find the more purple version far more interesting and I regret not having bought a bottle when it was available.

I'm not actually sure why this ink is as popular as it is, but I guess that my tastes differ.

I would have liked to have gotten the reformulated BSiAR as well (although if it had been too much like Purple Heart -- an ink I really like, BTW -- I might have been disappointed).

I first tried it (the original version) in my first Konrad and learned the meaning of "wet" ink. And the meaning of "bleedthrough".... Watched big fat droplets (nearly half an inch across) roll down the nib, and leak through *two* pages of the Piccadilly sketchbook I was using as an ink journal.... :headsmack:

That being said, I still really like the ink a lot. It got put aside as I tried a bunch of other inks, but I should pull it back out at some point.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The original formula is back. It's mentioned on the Goulet website (http://www.gouletpens.com/n19065/p/N19065): "The original formulation is BACK! (as of 2/27/15) "

I have a bottle of the original and it is one of my favorites. I like using it in wider nibs.

Although I have a bottle of the original formula, I find the more purple version far more interesting and I regret not having bought a bottle when it was available.

I'm not actually sure why this ink is as popular as it is, but I guess that my tastes differ.

Very cool. I had no idea it was back.

It's funny how the "new" version will now become the more rare of the two.

I would have liked to have gotten the reformulated BSiAR as well (although if it had been too much like Purple Heart -- an ink I really like, BTW -- I might have been disappointed).

I first tried it (the original version) in my first Konrad and learned the meaning of "wet" ink. And the meaning of "bleedthrough".... Watched big fat droplets (nearly half an inch across) roll down the nib, and leak through *two* pages of the Piccadilly sketchbook I was using as an ink journal.... :headsmack:

That being said, I still really like the ink a lot. It got put aside as I tried a bunch of other inks, but I should pull it back out at some point.

I still would have liked a bottle of the new. I think a Purple Heart that shaded to black would be awesome.

I have four bottles of BSiAR:

1 Original formula

2 BSiAR mkII, the purple one

1 BSiAR mkIII, the one that was supposed to look more like the original

I have to say while the original was my favorite of the bunch, the middle purple is really nice. That's why a bought my second bottle from someone on another forum when he decided he didn't care for it. Glad to see the original formulation is back, because it was definitely better than BSiAR mkIII. I wish Nathan would re-release the purple mkII version under a different name though.

So many inks, so little time...

1 Original formula

I have to say while the original was my favorite of the bunch, the middle purple is really nice. That's why a bought my second bottle from someone on another forum when he decided he didn't care for it. Glad to see the original formulation is back, because it was definitely better than BSiAR mkIII. I wish Nathan would re-release the purple mkII version under a different name though.

I felt the same way about the reformulated Army Green. I was apparently in the minority, but I preferred that over the original, and would love to see it re-released under a different name.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

1 Original formula

I felt the same way about the reformulated Army Green. I was apparently in the minority, but I preferred that over the original, and would love to see it re-released under a different name.

I agree. I'd love to see both reissued with a different name. Haha. We're gonna keep him busy!

I think I am one of the few who prefers Black Swan in English Roses over it's Australian cousin.

Unfortunately, I can't abide the smell. My sample remains.

I think I am one of the few who prefers Black Swan in English Roses over it's Australian cousin.

I am usually never grateful that my sense of smell doesn't work well. But your comment makes me very glad I can't smell this ink...I really love BSiAR.

I got a pen pal letter yesterday written in BSiAR. I don't know which formulation he used, but the shading was really cool. I have a bottle in my Goulet cart :D

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

I got a pen pal letter yesterday written in BSiAR. I don't know which formulation he used, but the shading was really cool. I have a bottle in my Goulet cart :D

BSiAR usually lives in my Neponset. I love the color purple and can't get enough of this ink.

I've never noticed any strong odor from any of my Noodler's ink. The only ink I own that has a very strong smell is my Waterman South Seas Blue. It's not an unpleasant smell, but it is definitely noticeable whatever it is.

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

• 5 months later...

This or the grape, decisions...

"Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others." - H. Jackson Brown, Jr