Midori Md Notebook Review (A5)

This is a short review of a A5 sized MD notebook.

I have also replicated the content with some additional pictures in my blog, as the images are/will be reduced to a small thumbnail after a short-while by the image hosting service. Below is a link to the same:

Midori MD Notebook Review

After falling in love with my MTN and the entire ecosystem part of it (Some of the ecosystem elements and their use are most eloquently covered by Pavoni in this post.), I wanted to have the same fountain pen friendly paper, sans the panache of an MTN. And it’s closest cousin seemed to be an MD notebook. I went for a A5 sized one, as it was quite readily available.

PRESENTATION (6/6)

The entire package rests within a polyethylene plastic wrap, and a tracing paper enclosure keeps you happy with the very process of unravelling. There is a bottom band of blue branding wrapped over the notebook, which covers essential product specifications/branding in English and certain things in Japanese.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/MD%20Notebook/md%20004-pres_zpsimpj0jp5.jpg

MD ELEMENTS (6/6)

The notebook is thread-stitched and a weaved cloth is glued along the outer-spine, perhaps as an embellishment for a classical literary look. You would feel at ease, to write on a MD Notebook, as it remains completely open, thanks to the stitching. Clever! A ribbon/bookmark can be found in the middle, and I feel it is quite well-thought of, in case you choose to mark something essential.

The cover is made up of card stock usually meant for business cards, post cards or catalogue covers. On the front, it carries the branding of ‘MD PAPER, Made in Japan’, in a subtly embossed format.

As an ecosystem refill, a clear PVC cover is also available for each of the notebook sizes, in case you are planning to use a particular size regularly.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/MD%20Notebook/md%20007_zpspcyizqpy.jpg

There are four stickers to label your notebook.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/MD%20Notebook/md%20008_zpsg1cxy2bt.jpg

The inside cover has a box of particulars with a bit of MD branding.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/MD%20Notebook/md%20010_zpsqixbbaqv.jpg

PHYSICS OF IT (6/6) – RELATIVELY SPEAKING

Quite a compact one with dimensions - L(21 cm) X W (14.8 cm) X H (1.1 cm), it does get a bit wider and shorter, than a standard parker A5 notebook or even an MTN. It has 88 leaves with square grids (of 0.5 cm) on both sides.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/MD%20Notebook/md%20012%20dimension_zpsjuv4kq7z.jpg

ECONOMIC VALUE (6/6)

It cost me a pretty decent USD 9 with some combined shipping from Japan. I ordered it online on Rakuten global.

OVERALL PERFORMANCE (5/6)

I love the understated looks of the notebook. A Pelikan fine nib glides along the paper with a wet line although it takes around half a minute to dry. I did observe a minute amount of feathering and a decent show-through after writing on the first page.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/MD%20Notebook/md%20015_zps94mvpqqw.jpg

Unlike the MTN refill paper, these pages are quite thin and the show-through is visible on the other side of the page. Although from a personal context I feel that you can write on the other side too, but YMMV.

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/MD%20Notebook/md%20016_zpsawmj9km7.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this short review and it helps with your next notebook purchase.

Best,

Sonik

Edited by HDoug
Member requested edits

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sannidh

• Polanova

• gylyf

• rafapa

Nice review, Soniknitr :)

These are my favorite Notebooks, after having tried out a number of different brands & I`m using them for 2 years now.

There`s just one point to which I disagree: In your review you state that there is some bleed-through.

Could you have meant Ghosting/See-Through?

In my extensive experience with the MD Notebooks, using all kinds of inks & mostly juicy nibs I have never ever experienced any bleed-through!! It`s absolutely fantastic paper and the books lie perfectly flat.

In my opinion it is somewhat better than the Life/Japan- and a million times better than the CD/Japan paper, where you get bleed-through indeed.

A very good review, Sonik

It's one of my favourite notebooks too. It is very typical of Japanese understated style. I think I've probably filled about 9 of the ex-large size Midori MDs.

I always use the plain paper notebooks, rather than the grid ruled, and have never experienced bleed-through at all, even with wet-writing broader nibs.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Nice review, Soniknitr :)

These are my favorite Notebooks, after having tried out a number of different brands & I`m using them for 2 years now.

There`s just one point to which I disagree: In your review you state that there is some bleed-through.

Could you have meant Ghosting/See-Through?

In my extensive experience with the MD Notebooks, using all kinds of inks & mostly juicy nibs I have never ever experienced any bleed-through!! It`s absolutely fantastic paper and the books lie perfectly flat.

In my opinion it is somewhat better than the Life/Japan- and a million times better than the CD/Japan paper, where you get bleed-through indeed.

My favourite notebook too, Polanova.

On the bleed-through thing, I stand corrected. Many thanks :thumbup: . It's indeed ghosting/show-through. I had written review of a parker sonnet on the other side to test the first page. And as you can see, it's merely ghosting :)

I enjoy the MTN paper too, it's a bit thicker that the notebook paper.

Meanwhile, I am ordering for another notebook and a cover for the same, after reading your extensive experience with MD paper. Thank you :D

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag127/soniknitr/Sonnet/DSC_3740_zpsr0w8imju.jpg

A very good review, Sonik

It's one of my favourite notebooks too. It is very typical of Japanese understated style. I think I've probably filled about 9 of the ex-large size Midori MDs.

I always use the plain paper notebooks, rather than the grid ruled, and have never experienced bleed-through at all, even with wet-writing broader nibs.

Thank you migo. Are those A4 sized MD notebooks.

Thank you for the confirmation, I do agree with you, it's merely a bleed-through. I wrote a review on the other side of the same page and I do stand corrected :D

I`d just like to add that I use without exception blank paper, which means my extensive experience with MD-notebooks is limited to the blank paper notebooks :rolleyes: (I can`t imagine, though, that the ruled or grid paper would be any different)

… just for the record !

I also have a MD Cotton Notebook, which I haven`t testet yet. I might use it as a sketchbook.

For my active journal I use the Midori Plastic Sleeve which protects the white cardboard cover.

PS: I`m playing with the possibility of getting a Franklin-Christoph Leather Notebook Cover (alas, I haven`t found a review yet & there are only a few photos available)

I`d just like to add that I use without exception blank paper, which means my extensive experience with MD-notebooks is limited to the blank paper notebooks :rolleyes: (I can`t imagine, though, that the ruled or grid paper would be any different)

… just for the record !

I also have a MD Cotton Notebook, which I haven`t testet yet. I might use it as a sketchbook.

For my active journal I use the Midori Plastic Sleeve which protects the white cardboard cover.

PS: I`m playing with the possibility of getting a Franklin-Christoph Leather Notebook Cover (alas, I haven`t found a review yet & there are only a few photos available)

I shall await your feedback on the MD cotton notebook :). I have ordered a plastic cover for the A5 one.

Btw, FPNer jimhughes shared two excellent links with me for notebooks/covers :

Zenok: https://www.etsy.com/shop/zenokleather

Koch: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KochLeather

Do have a look :)

I shall await your feedback on the MD cotton notebook . I have ordered a plastic cover for the A5 one.

Do have a look, might interest you :)

I shall await your feedback on the MD cotton notebook :). I have ordered a plastic cover for the A5 one.

Do have a look :)

It`ll take awhile as I`m having a few too many notebooks right now :)

As to the Notebook covers, I haven`t seen anything on etsy which I like more than the F-C-ones …. only which color shall I go for :rolleyes:

I believe that penhabit has a review of the FC cover. Just search at his youtube channel.

… only the Command Centre Folio

Yep!

_http://www.franklin-christoph.com/saddleboot-notebook-covers.html

They seem to be quite nice & I haven`t seen anything else which comes close to it.

PS: Too lazy now to start a new thread - sorry, soniknitr!

ha ha :D. By the way, laziness kind of helps. Open the post and you have all the links for notebook covers :)

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

The bound MD journals are what I use now too (though I still also use LIFE as it is so much cheaper. By far the cheapest quality paper here and I like the surface of that paper quite a bit). The MD paper is excellent. Indeed lots of show through but I experience little to no bleed or feathering and while the dry times are long, the upside is that the ink shades and sheens better than just about anything not named Tomoe River (which is not available here).

And here is why I used them other than the fantastic paper: THE BOOK LAYS FLAT. The only other books I have see that lay flat like this had inferior paper or were more expensive. For comfort (layflatability call it) there are so far only 2 bound books I have found: the softcover leuchtturm1917 and these wonderful MD books. Otherwise you are looking at stapled or ring bound notebooks or an elaborate system of industrial powered C claps. ha!

I hate fighting and wrestling with books. I want my hands free to write or draw. The MD, if you press it. Lays flat almost as nice as pad yet the binding is sturdy. No small feat. I have yet to have one fall apart on me, though manhandling the 1917 regular size journals and Rhodia Webs has caused some of those to rip or drop pages.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

The bound MD journals are what I use now too (though I still also use LIFE as it is so much cheaper. By far the cheapest quality paper here and I like the surface of that paper quite a bit). The MD paper is excellent. Indeed lots of show through but I experience little to no bleed or feathering and while the dry times are long, the upside is that the ink shades and sheens better than just about anything not named Tomoe River (which is not available here).

And here is why I used them other than the fantastic paper: THE BOOK LAYS FLAT. The only other books I have see that lay flat like this had inferior paper or were more expensive. For comfort (layflatability call it) there are so far only 2 bound books I have found: the softcover leuchtturm1917 and these wonderful MD books. Otherwise you are looking at stapled or ring bound notebooks or an elaborate system of industrial powered C claps. ha!

I hate fighting and wrestling with books. I want my hands free to write or draw. The MD, if you press it. Lays flat almost as nice as pad yet the binding is sturdy. No small feat. I have yet to have one fall apart on me, though manhandling the 1917 regular size journals and Rhodia Webs has caused some of those to rip or drop pages.

Thanks for sharing. Can you share a writing sample on the LIFE notebook ?

Spiral notebooks ofcourse lay flat but are a pain to carry!

What letterpad do you prefer?

Thanks for sharing. Can you share a writing sample on the LIFE notebook ?

Spiral notebooks ofcourse lay flat but are a pain to carry!

What letterpad do you prefer?

Here's a writing sample on Life paper:

19641749279_8349ee0c39_c.jpg

19640337420_9db4a8c840_c.jpg

Edited by gylyf