An Abundance Of American Acrylics

TeaHive

... I think I may have a fetish for chatoyance.

Left to right:

Conklin All American Yellowstone

Rosetta Napoleon II Tortoiseshell

Rosetta Napoleon II Lemon Ice

Edison Nouveau Premiere Spring 2015 Lilac

Think Nebula Glactic Fudge

Think Nebula Irish Spring

Noodler's Konrad Coral Sea

Noodler's Neponset John Mung

Noodler's Neponset Bengal Tiger

The Think pens are of questionable origin. No one seems to know anything about them. But they sure do look nice!

a7c74c88bfa04c850ce103303f8d4b71.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TeaHive

• Frank C

• Uncial

• amberleadavis

Top Posters In This Topic

The Conklin looks really nice in that picture. I was turned off it because I didn't like how it looked in the original adverts for it, but it looks very striking here

That's a very nice collection. Are they willing to be shown "topless"?

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

The Conklin looks really nice in that picture. I was turned off it because I didn't like how it looked in the original adverts for it, but it looks very striking here

When it first came out, I thought it looked like a banana cow.. yes, a banana cow. Don't ask. But THIS picture changed my mind: http://www.hisnibs.com/images/Conklin/All%20American/ConklinAllAmericanYellowstonePenCap.jpg

That's a very nice collection. Are they willing to be shown "topless"?

Very willing! I'll take some individual shots and add them to the thread. :D

Is the Conklin really so massive, or is it just the angle of the picture?

It's just the angle. It's about a centimeter shorter than the Noodler's Neponset, but to the eye, it looks like it has a bit more girth. I don't have calipers to measure them. Hmm, I'll have to track down the technical specifications on Goulet.

Turns out the Conklin and Neponset have the same width on their sections. The Conklin's barrel is wider by 1 mm. The cap is quite chunky, though.

And now to barrage the thread with pearly eye candy! First up is the Conklin All American Yellowstone with a fine nib. It writes more like a very smooth extra-fine, which makes for a very happy me. I was hoping to get the "HOIO" imprint, but I may have been late to pick one up. Ah well. Still love it. :)

55e10f8a6f82c254a6a038ddb7527e08.jpg

2a90d280088a755de25a82b9121a11ee.jpg

The cap looks like it has a hooded figure holding a golden platter or package. o_O

a2f0e5dd3b614252476063fe39f0ab49.jpg

Now for all the Noodler's!!

Konrad in Coral Sea. This one came to me with an easily flexible nib, and writes more like an extra-fine than the normal wet fine Ahabs tend to have.

40dcffde98118bab841dbc3a5cc0b75d.jpg

683d17be6e167ffc9e116a0896ade687.jpg

Noodler's Neponset in John Mung with the music nib.

14bd96a46f71978f6aac3c14ba909644.jpg

7658f5667315505a44cd8645d1e313bb.jpg

Noodler's Neponset in Bengal Tiger with a Goulet #6 two-tone 1.1mm nib. Really striking combo!

0901c949b8bed853fd0e417ff26c2dac.jpg

e7413253fd01665d2fd3b12edee6d6f2.jpg

Sorry, I seem to be asking a lot of questions, but are the threads sharp? I'm really coming round to this pen.

Think Nebula Irish Spring. I ground the medium nib it came with down to a needlepoint.

6d8ec55fd3785a58b34074b56cc2325b.jpg

d1ea341e46942cc624edf233ffb6bf0c.jpg

Think Nebula in Galactic Fudge. I replaced the stock nib, which slid out too easily, with a Noodler's flex nib. The feed can't actually keep up for flexing, but it writes a juicy bold line.

39062f7c98542809e68c1aa4aa9cca86.jpg

f5cc59828cb81ce88efc4908cf1353c2.jpg

Sorry, I seem to be asking a lot of questions, but are the threads sharp? I'm really coming round to this pen.

On the Conklin? They don't feel like it to me when I hold it to write, and the step is rather small with a rounded edge. I suppose the threads feel a bit sharp when I purposely rub my finger tip on them and test for sharpness. But this pen is really comfortable to hold, and writing with it unposted feels effortless. You can post it, as well, but it feels really back heavy.

Edison Nouveau Premiere Spring 2015 Lilac. Really lovely pen! Rather transparent, especially held up to the light. Mine doesn't have much of the white swirling.

bf71c07f1a6b924517a576def4347733.jpg

ed6b2e3acc0990c918c62d391d004708.jpg

f4d417b9e8a36f538398a5589b4d0324.jpg

And finally, the Rosetta Napoleon II's. Both of mine have been frankenpenned with vintage gold nibs.

The Tortoiseshell has a flexible extra-fine E. Faber nib.

00380240160a6a4872dbec40c477694b.jpg

181710b57d728c809f713df75cfd2323.jpg

The Lemon Ice has been fitted with a 1947 Parker Vacumatic semi-flex fine.

8360fad61ef25f97cb0800ba3e60cb12.jpg

6bc32b5de7f81ddf0010f83da1c6188b.jpg

Whew! Lots of photos there.. Hope you all enjoyed them!

Thanks for all the photos. You have a very nice collection there. Did you do the nib grinding yourself? I have always been hesitant to do that to one of my beloved nibs—even the inexpensive ones.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

Thanks for all the photos. You have a very nice collection there. Did you do the nib grinding yourself? I have always been hesitant to do that to one of my beloved nibs—even the inexpensive ones.

Thanks! Indeed, I do my own nib grinding. I started out with Noodler's nibs, because they're readily available and cheap. And on a few Chinese pens I found on eBay that were also really cheap. Eventually I worked my way up to grinding the JoWo nibs. I've only done two gold nibs, where one coming to me with twisted and broken tines dictated I turn it into a stub, and the other I dropped and broke the tipping off, so I had to smooth it to a stub as well. ;)

Thanks! Indeed, I do my own nib grinding. I started out with Noodler's nibs, because they're readily available and cheap. And on a few Chinese pens I found on eBay that were also really cheap. Eventually I worked my way up to grinding the JoWo nibs. I've only done two gold nibs, where one coming to me with twisted and broken tines dictated I turn it into a stub, and the other I dropped and broke the tipping off, so I had to smooth it to a stub as well. ;)

Do you use Micro-Mesh? Or another method? I should probably buy a few inexpensive nibs and give it a try myself. Thanks for the inspiration.

Thanks.

The Think Nebula one is lovely; as is the tortoiseshell one.

I rather like the Think pens, now I've got the nibs situated the way I want them. And the Rosetta Napoleons make for really sturdy pocket pens! The Tortoiseshell reminds me more of chocolate, though. Mmm, chocolate.

Do you use Micro-Mesh? Or another method? I should probably buy a few inexpensive nibs and give it a try myself. Thanks for the inspiration.

I start out with a nail file if I'm making a large change, then work with finer and finer grits of sandpaper, then something like Mylar paper or micro-mesh, for which I have three grades, the last being so fine it more or less just polishes the nib as a final step. I go the extra mile and finish by writing on a piece of glass, for a last bit of polishing.

I rather like the Think pens, now I've got the nibs situated the way I want them. And the Rosetta Napoleons make for really sturdy pocket pens! The Tortoiseshell reminds me more of chocolate, though. Mmm, chocolate.

I start out with a nail file if I'm making a large change, then work with finer and finer grits of sandpaper, then something like Mylar paper or micro-mesh, for which I have three grades, the last being so fine it more or less just polishes the nib as a final step. I go the extra mile and finish by writing on a piece of glass, for a last bit of polishing.

Thanks for the information. Now I have to stock up on nibs, sandpaper, etc. I love new projects.

On the thread title: actually none of the acrylic rods used for your pens is american. Even the pens are mostly from Taiwan or India (the Edison being the possible exception...). Beautiful acrylics: yes! American,,,,no.

http://s26.postimg.org/fp30mhy6x/signature.jpg

In punta di penna.....

On the thread title: actually none of the acrylic rods used for your pens is american. Even the pens are mostly from Taiwan or India (the Edison being the possible exception...). Beautiful acrylics: yes! American,,,,no.

American here is in relation to the pen maker or company, not the origin of the base materials.