Quadrupod: Origins And Theories

AgentVenom

Try pulling your thumb back about 1cm from your fingers.

Hold your hand open in front of you, then pivont/close the thumb toward the fingers without pushing the thumb forward or curling your fingers back.

I found that position relaxes my hand. Pushing my thumb forward to match the fingers increased the stress in my hand.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AgentVenom

• Aeleth

• carlos.q

• Uncle Dwight

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Someone linked me this video series recently, and what caught my attention the most is that the presenter also uses a quadrugrip. Thought anyone looking into this grip may find it interesting. He details his grip in Video 2, around the 6:40 mark.

/r/Handwritingrepair

Video 2: Grip Details

He does state, "the tripod method is the 'correct' way", but it's just the way he does it and many do.

Edited by Aeleth

I agree. I must admit I've never seen anyone use the grip she's using.

I guess this is an aside to the main thread, but when I used to use ballpoints regularly, writing for a long time often got tiring. When that happened but I had to keep writing, sometimes I'd change my grip to try to ease the fatigue, and I would use something like that grip. I'm not sure exactly what I did, but it would involve holding the pen between the first and second finger instead of the thumb and first finger. I probably moved the pen there with the fingers of my writing hand and then adjusted my grip to whatever felt right. I'm pretty sure that nowadays I always use some version of a tripod grip. I never really paid that much attention. But I write so little with ballpoints that I don't really need to change from my usual grip anymore.

Someone linked me this video series recently, and what caught my attention the most is that the presenter also uses a quadrugrip. Thought anyone looking into this grip may find it interesting. He details his grip in Video 2, around the 6:40 mark.

/r/Handwritingrepair

He does state, "the tripod method is the 'correct' way", but it's just the way he does it and many do.

Did the pens ever arrive?

Freedom lies in being bold - Robert Frost

They should arrive Friday! I also purchased a Jinhao x750 to go alongside the LAMY Al-Star and Pilot Metro. My adventure should begin soon.

If there are any issues with shipping, perhaps Monday at the latest.

Edited by Aeleth

They should arrive Friday! I also purchased a Jinhao x750 to go alongside the LAMY Al-Star and Pilot Metro. My adventure should begin soon.

If there are any issues with shipping, perhaps Monday at the latest.

Sounds good. Let us know!

Got everything in. I'm off tomorrow so I should get a chance to try them out. Have been toying with just the disposable Pilot Varsities at work. Even they feel like night and day between regular ballpoints for me due to the little amount of pressure required.

I still don't find the quadrogrip more comfortable even on them, though. I just hold then pen too hard, even if not applying much pressure.

Once I get the metro, al star, and x750 going Ill have to test again.

At first glance, I may be making a full grip conversion. Overcoming the alien feel will be better than continued fatigue, perhaps.

Edited by Aeleth

Got everything in. I'm off tomorrow so I should get a chance to try them out. Have been toying with just the disposable Pilot Varsities at work. Even they feel like night and day between regular ballpoints for me due to the little amount of pressure required.

I still don't find the quadrogrip more comfortable even on them, though. I just hold then pen too hard, even if not applying much pressure.

Once I get the metro, al star, and x750 going Ill have to test again.

At first glance, I may be making a full grip conversion. Overcoming the alien feel will be better than continued fatigue, perhaps.

Try copying the alphabet or something you like from a book and just take your time. It took my girlfriend a while to get used to her pen.

And here.. we.. go..

http://i.imgur.com/8yA1lfxh.jpg

So far I think the Metro felt the smoothest, but all three are quite amazing. I'll check back in as I progress.

I do love my Metro. I can't ever decide which is smother between it and my Safari.

Whoa, maybe we should be more open to the quadrupod deathgrip..?

https://youtu.be/1orjLpX7GbM

Here's Seb Lester's Youtube page:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6T_Q1My32b6xlRkoAZ2sVw

I agree. I'm against changing your grip just because it's not considered standard. I know forcing people to be right handed and use a tripod grip just causes difficulty and pain. My dads parents were both forced to write right handed as children and I believe their handwriting suffered because of it.

Whoa, maybe we should be more open to the quadrupod deathgrip..?

Here's Seb Lester's Youtube page:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6T_Q1My32b6xlRkoAZ2sVw

I noticed that, too.

I used to write using the quadrugrip, but suffered from hand fatigue and cramps, so decided to try the tripod grip. It felt very awkward and uncomfortable at first. I hated it. But I persevered, and one day I realized that the awkwardness had gone away. It took maybe a week or two (but definitely no longer than two) for me to get used to it. I no longer have fatigue or cramping when I write. That said, when I use a pen that isn't a fountain pen, I always find myself resorting to the quadrugrip because it's easier to exert pressure on the pen that way.

Edited by Millefleurs

• 1 month later...

I'm grateful to this thread because I never used to know what to call my grip aside from "wrong." I was able to successfully change my grip to tripod when doing italic calligraphy with a dip pen but can't get used to it for everyday writing. One reason to change my grip: because I started from scratch with the tripod grip, I was able to get myself to hold it loosely and not exert lots of downward pressure on the nib. I have had a much harder time getting myself to hold the pen loosely and not push down hard when using the quadrigrip. I like to see a nice, dark line of ink when I write, and with a cheap ballpoint pen, you need to press firmly to get such a line. But, with my fountain pen, I don't need to do that and don't want to hurt the nib by smashing it into the paper everytime I write with it.

I have noticed that, when I use the quadrigrip, it is uncomfortable to use a thick writing instrument (anything much thicker than a typical ballpoint pen is too think) but with the tripod grip, I am more comfortable with a thicker pen rather than a thin one.

I'm all the more conscious of my grip these days because my 3 year old daughter is trying to imitate me and "write" and I don't want her to pick up my bad habits!

Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.

--Carl Sagan

I'm grateful to this thread because I never used to know what to call my grip aside from "wrong." I was able to successfully change my grip to tripod when doing italic calligraphy with a dip pen but can't get used to it for everyday writing. One reason to change my grip: because I started from scratch with the tripod grip, I was able to get myself to hold it loosely and not exert lots of downward pressure on the nib. I have had a much harder time getting myself to hold the pen loosely and not push down hard when using the quadrigrip. I like to see a nice, dark line of ink when I write, and with a cheap ballpoint pen, you need to press firmly to get such a line. But, with my fountain pen, I don't need to do that and don't want to hurt the nib by smashing it into the paper everytime I write with it.

I have noticed that, when I use the quadrigrip, it is uncomfortable to use a thick writing instrument (anything much thicker than a typical ballpoint pen is too think) but with the tripod grip, I am more comfortable with a thicker pen rather than a thin one.

I'm all the more conscious of my grip these days because my 3 year old daughter is trying to imitate me and "write" and I don't want her to pick up my bad habits!

Im glad the thread has helped you.

The more I'm asked about my fountain pens, and the more I see others write, the more people that I see use the quadrupod grip.

I'm starting to wonder if it's really that wrong.

Im glad the thread has helped you.

The more I'm asked about my fountain pens, and the more I see others write, the more people that I see use the quadrupod grip.

I'm starting to wonder if it's really that wrong.

I am also inclined to believe that it is not wrong. The grip lends itself to a variety of handwriting styles. As long as the nib is aligned properly (or, should I say, optimally) to the paper, one can achieve beautiful and fast handwriting using the quadrupod grip. My son can write effortlessly using this grip. I never once had the desire to help him unlearn it :)

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

I had an art teacher long ago; a little old lady with a hunchback and no thumbs. She gripped a pencil between her index and middle fingers, which fascinated me. Years later I injured my thumb and had to adopt her technique to get my work done. It's also useful for avoiding fatigue.

• 5 years later...
On 5/3/2015 at 7:02 PM, cellmatrix said:

Thanks for the feedback, I looked back and found the relevant thread from a few years ago that you contributed to on the subject, which has an additional image showing thumb placement. From the illustration, it appears Swift uses an alternative Sassoon grip. Whether she actually read Rosemary's book or just improvised it herself, its hard to say. I tried to write with this grip, and with the quadrupod grip but had terrible results, since my main writing instrument nowadays is the pilot vanishing point and the clip got in the way.

post-93222-0-28446500-1356656272.png

Sorry OP, didn't mean to hijack this interesting thread!

I write with the pen in between the index finger and the middle finger with the thumb acting as a holding third digit.  My handing writing is angular and rather eighteenth-century.  I have trouble writing with a ball point on slick paper (rollerskating on ice).   I invented this grip myself on my own.  However, I have noticed that Anne Frank and at least one German officer of the time holding a pen this way.  I wondered if this were not some European fashion.  So, happy to have Taylor Swift join the club.

• 1 month later...
On 2/3/2021 at 7:29 PM, Uncle Dwight said:

I write with the pen in between the index finger and the middle finger with the thumb acting as a holding third digit.  My handing writing is angular and rather eighteenth-century.  I have trouble writing with a ball point on slick paper (rollerskating on ice).   I invented this grip myself on my own.  However, I have noticed that Anne Frank and at least one German officer of the time holding a pen this way.  I wondered if this were not some European fashion.  So, happy to have Taylor Swift join the club.

Have heard of that grip. Dimly recall it was associated with speed writing, but wouldn't swear to it.

This topic brings back memories. Clearly remember taught to use the Dynamic Tripod grip, the teacher positioning our fingers on the pencil. Also remember having problems gripping the pencil. The short-term solution was to use a pencil thicker than normal. Used them for several months until my grip improved. I'm convinced that this was where I learned to hold on tight to pencils and pens, since it was the only way I could initially control the pencil. Even though I used fountain pens in high school, that tight grip persisted for decades, and would make my hand tired. Eventually learned I didn't have to grasp pens and pencils that tightly.