Grading With Your Fountain Pens

LisaN

I have used green Diamine Sherwood, but, well, I guess I've gotten mean in my old age. That, and the fact that the kids write in a rainbow of colors these days. Red is still culturally limited to the teacher.

Probably because many schools still provide red bic biros to their staff for free.

My big revelation has been to scan the exams to a file after grading. No more questions about paper changers. One visit to the dean and one fewer paper to grade after that happens.

Sometimes the cat needs a new cat toy. And sometimes I need a new pen.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LisaN

• Mannyonpil

• OCArt

• BobR

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Many of my colleagues have students submit their papers electronically and then write comments directly into the MSWord document. There is a paper(less) trail this way but I can't say I really like it. I still do most of my grading and commenting with pen and paper. The real problem is that many students I meet now cannot read handwriting. Not just my handwriting, but really any handwriting. They just can't get through it unless it is print script. It may get to the point where I will have to stop hand writing comments because the students will just not be able to read them. In fact, I will be considering over this summer whether or not to stop hand-written comments from this coming fall semester.

Unfortunately, the examination papers that I have to grade are all in blue books, the paper of which is just above paper napkins as far as its friendliness toward fountain pens is concerned. I have tried using a fine-point nib with a fairly dry ink, but the ink bleeds right through the page, and since many students write on both sides of the page, this can make the writing on the other side illegible. So I have to use a ball-point or roller-ball pen. There is, of course, no pleasure in using such a writing instrument, but there is not much pleasure in using a fountain pen either if every character you inscribe on the paper turns to a blur and soaks through to the other side of the page.

When grading papers printed on computer paper, I used to use red ink—Diamine Monaco Red, which I like because it is a pure primary red, or as close to it as any ink that I have seen—but then I was advised against it because red ink carries a strongly negative emotional charge. At that point I switched to using brown or sepia inks when using a fountain pen or, when grading blue books, green roller ball.

Edited by Miles R.

Unfortunately, the examination papers that I have to grade are all in blue books, the paper of which is just above paper napkins as far as its friendliness toward fountain pens is concerned. I have tried using a fine-point nib with a fairly dry ink, but the ink bleeds right through the page, and since many students write on both sides of the page, this can make the writing on the other side illegible. So I have to use a ball-point or roller-ball pen. There is, of course, no pleasure in using such a writing instrument, but there is not much pleasure in using a fountain pen either if every character you inscribe on the paper turns to a blur and soaks through to the other side of the page.

When grading papers printed on computer paper, I used to use red ink—Diamine Monaco Red, which I like because it is a pure primary red, or as close to it as any ink that I have seen—but then I was advised against it because red ink carries a strongly negative emotional charge. At that point I switched to using brown or sepia inks when using a fountain pen or, when grading blue books, green roller ball.

pretty much my experience, too

I have graded in Uni-ball Signo pink glitter gel pen.

Because I could.

I don't think it took the sting out of "Critical math error", "Conceptual error", or, reportedly the most ego-crushing grading comment ever, "No."

Sometimes the cat needs a new cat toy. And sometimes I need a new pen.

My FPs seem to do just fine with the blue books. We must have better quality ones.

TSherbs & Miles R.... Me too. So many of my students buy cheap, recycled paper. I can't remember the last time any students used FPs. :(

We have a school policy to mark in green. Purple is used by the students to make corrections and peer/self mark. I've had fun investigating lovely greens (my favourites are Herbin Lierre Sauvage & Waterman Harmonious Green.)

I would still prefer to mark in red, though. It stands out better. The kids over asked couldn't care less about the supposed impression red marks create. They think the whole debate is ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...

Many of my colleagues have students submit their papers electronically and then write comments directly into the MSWord document. There is a paper(less) trail this way but I can't say I really like it. I still do most of my grading and commenting with pen and paper. The real problem is that many students I meet now cannot read handwriting. Not just my handwriting, but really any handwriting. They just can't get through it unless it is print script. It may get to the point where I will have to stop hand writing comments because the students will just not be able to read them. In fact, I will be considering over this summer whether or not to stop hand-written comments from this coming fall semester.

This past semester I experimented for the first time with grading papers electronically. It has definite advantages, like not having to lug hard copy papers around, but I found myself missing my pen time by the end of the term. My ink of choice is Diamine Kelly Green, in a couple of different pens.

• 1 year later...

I stumbled upon this old thread right after grading a my last batch of exams for this term. What a fun topic!

I teach at a university in rural China and am continually surprised by the reactions students have to my ink choices. Every semester several students end up posting photos to their WeChat accounts (kind of like Facebook) of my writing on their assignments with comments like "Cute foreign teacher."

Several provinces in this country require students to use FPs in middle school or high school, so it's nice to see a few out in every class (usually an SKB, Hero, or Lamy Safari). I've managed to give out several pens and inks to intersted students.

This term a student actually emailed me a photo of her graded exam with the note, "Teacher, what ink is this? It has nice sheen!" (I had used Yama-dori.)

Diamine Bougainvillea was also a big hit that got some smiles when papers were handed back (one of my go-to colors for spring semester, along with Herbin Lierre Sauvage). Sadly, trying to grade with Herbin Emerald of Chivor this week turned to be a disaster with feathering, bleed through, and smearing all over the place.

Using FPs has definitely put some fun into an otherwise very tedious task.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

I'm not a teacher or perfessor, but I recommend a Lamy Vista with 1.1 mm stub and Diamine Oxblood for grading. :yikes: That'll learn 'em.

That's what I usually do. One student even commented that it looked like dried blood.

I had to stop grading with an FP. Too many smears and smudges - so I went back to using Pilot G2s and pencils.