Grading With Your Fountain Pens

LisaN

I am using the perfect (for me) grading pens: a Pelikan 200 with Akkerman's Garuda Red and another 200 with Syo-ro (green blue).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LisaN

• Mannyonpil

• OCArt

• BobR

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use red because I need something that screams "WRONG"

It also keeps me from writing things I can't take back such as, "Seriously???", or "What the H--- are you thinking????", or "Drop this class now!!!"

Sometimes the cat needs a new cat toy. And sometimes I need a new pen.

I always write and grade with the same colors, Binder Burgundy or Diamine Syrah; the Duofolds do the work.

There is, however, a slight preference for BB.

Edited by dojocho

Thou shalt not stir one foot to seek a foe.

Eadem Mutata Resurgo.

I just used Baystate Blue to markup a spreadsheet printout and convert the numerical grades to letter grades before entering them online (We use Moodle)

However, I do have an Excel spreadsheet that was written a million years ago by a colleague that automatically adds all of the assignments up and presents a letter grade. If anyone would like a copy just send me a pm.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I had a student this semester comment to me "I've only ever seen an old pen like that in the movies. Do you have to find old ink too?" I told her that they still make ink and that this pen is only a few years old. She gave me that eye rolling "I'm not falling for that one" look.

Clark,

I really like that one.

Dave

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I use whatever is inked up. Currently, I'm grading semester exams in Diamine Coral in a Lamy Safari. My only rule for a grading ink is that is must stand out. Mostly, they seem to behave on the paper I use. But, I really will use anything.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

My dear teachers, will you add a mark or two for the student answering with their FPs?

My dear teachers, will you add a mark or two for the student answering with their FPs?

Heh heh, we could, but it wouldn't change anything, especially in a science class such as mine.

A: you know the material and you don't make mistakes.

B: you really understand the material and make some mistakes but not of deep understanding.

C: you know a respectable amount, but have gaps in your understanding of deep concepts.

D: you know enough to get into trouble- you are missing foundational knowledge.

F: you just don't get it. Any of it.

A and B means you can continue on.

C means you need to fix things or you will fail in future courses.

D and F mean that this is not working for you. Your learning methods are wrong, and continuing in this way is a waste of time and money.

Sometimes the cat needs a new cat toy. And sometimes I need a new pen.

Heh heh, we could, but it wouldn't change anything, especially in a science class such as mine.

A: you know the material and you don't make mistakes.

B: you really understand the material and make some mistakes but not of deep understanding.

C: you know a respectable amount, but have gaps in your understanding of deep concepts.

D: you know enough to get into trouble- you are missing foundational knowledge.

F: you just don't get it. Any of it.

A and B means you can continue on.

C means you need to fix things or you will fail in future courses.

D and F mean that this is not working for you. Your learning methods are wrong, and continuing in this way is a waste of time and money.

You forgot "I": I can't grade your work because your handwriting looks like the results of hordes of drunken hamsters with inky feet holding a square dance on the paper.

At least my few FP using students have legible handwriting.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

the glucose in 2 is a polyol, and then methanol shows up in the Sandmeyer sequence.

Also, much alcohol is consumed after grading.

fully 20% of my chem 2 students believe that our sun is at the center of the milky way.

5% believe it is also at the center of the universe.

I'd have guessed a quarter of your class would think they were the center of the universe.

If I was a teacher, I'd use Sheaffer Scrip Red. Wrong is wrong, best to let them know early before the universe bites them.

If I was a teacher, I'd use Sheaffer Scrip Red. Wrong is wrong, best to let them know early before the universe bites them.

That's exactly my practice and reasoning. And I tell 'em why. Being wrong is not supposed to feel good.

Currently I'm using Private Reserve Avocado. At the end of the year, the students don't care as much what's written on their papers - so I use a color that makes me happy.

But Red Dragon is nice to use - as is Ancient Copper.

fully 20% of my chem 2 students believe that our sun is at the center of the milky way.

5% believe it is also at the center of the universe.

What a bunch of dummies

The Earth is the center of the universe

The Pope said so

Ah, it's been fun this year. Used Noodler's Burgundy and Pr Blue Suede. Yeah! I'm done! No more grading for a while, though I do have to mark up some proposals.

Now my consumption of inks will decrease dramatically, though I am sketching out my next book's outline with my fountain pens and continue to write my checks and my grocery lists with fountain pens.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

The responses to brown ink seem funny to me. I guess I am used to seeing all of those old sepia-toned writings of the past. I use a brown ink in my Midori Passport Traveller's notebook... yes, I do fancy myself an overweight Indiana Jones, thanks for asking!

"In this world... you must be oh, so smart, or oh, so pleasant. Well for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

Currently I am using green (Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite)

I, too, use green (Edelstein Aventurine or Waterman Harmonious)

I have two students who use fountain pens. There is hope for the next generation!

I, too, use green (Edelstein Aventurine or Waterman Harmonious)

Oops! Wrong gemstone. My green is Edelstein Aventurine.