Edsal17

There were still a few pens left as I walked out. Just a few :)

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpenlady

• AAAndrew

• GardenWeasel

• MrThoth

Will be there tomorrow. As a local to the area if you need any recommendations on food, etc. let me know.

I am happy to say the electric is back on here at the pen show....

I am happy to say the electric is back on here at the pen show....

Yes, the power being out made the show, um, interesting....

I'd like to say -- categorically and for the record -- that if I ever get my novel written and published, the scene where the main character gets stuck in an elevator at a pen show, during a power outage caused by a thunderstorm, was thought up at least a year ago, and today's events are *completely* coincidental, other than possibly a nudge by the Universe to get back to writing. :rolleyes: So today's events were merely a weird case -- sort of -- of life imitating art (and no, I don't know if anyone actually was stuck in the hotel elevator.., although there was a bit of discussion at the dessert party about potential issues with keycards by people staying at the site hotel).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for formatting

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Yikes! Perhaps it's a good thing that I found very little of interest at the show and, after talking with a few fellow collectors and making a sadly small number of purchases, I left earlier than expected. Sorry to hear you got trapped.

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

Yes, the power being out made the show, um, interesting....

I'd like to say -- categorically and for the record -- that if I ever get my novel written and published, the scene where the main character gets stuck in an elevator at a pen show, during a power outage caused by a thunderstorm, was thought up at least a year ago, and today's events are *completely* coincidental, other than possibly a nudge by the Universe to get back to writing. :rolleyes: So today's events were merely a weird case -- sort of -- of life imitating art (and no, I don't know if anyone actually was stuck in the hotel elevator.., although there was a bit of discussion at the dessert party about potential issues with keycards by people staying at the site hotel).

edited for formatting

I wonder if any deals are made while trapped in the elevator:)

This was a charming and intimate show, neither too large nor too small, offering substantial opportunity to see people we rarely get a chance to see, and I went away more than satisfied. My weekend included sessions and conversations on

1. Handwriting with Susan Wirth and calligraphy with Deborah Basel

2. The future of Italian pen design with Giovanni Abrate (tryphon, on FPN), and a first look at his new Pentrace limited edition, loosely based on the Marlen Aleph

3. Pen repair with Ron Zorn (on FPN, Ron Z)

4. Sailor specialty nibs with Brian Anderson (on FPN, Brian Anderson)

5. Historic differences between Montblanc and Wahl-Eversharp with Syd Saperstein (wahlnut)

6. The intricacy of Sheaffer restorations with Gerry Berg (gmberg)

7. Dip nib history, preparation, and technique with AAAndrew

8. Ink chemistry with radellaf

9. Pens we've always desired, with inkstainedruth

10. One of Berg's beautifully restored Sheaffer Balances from the 1930s

11. A comprehensive selection of carefully sourced dip nibs from AAAndrew -- some of them 100 years old

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

A word of praise for Deb Kinney and the wonderful repair of the nib on my Sailor Pen. Awesome repair - better than new!

I had fun, as always, though I was there on no-drama Friday so missed the power outage.

I purchased two pens and got two repaired that had been sitting around for a few years. I've been shying away from the flexible nib fountain pens, but I decided to try them out and it was between an Aiken Lambert (made by Waterman) and this one. Both were decent prices but the nib on this Waterman was just that much better than the A.L. and $10 cheaper.

It's become a tradition to buy a vacuum filler Sheaffer from Gary Berg, and this year proved no exception even thought I tried to resist and even sent off a beautiful green one for him to repair. I was weak.

Andrew

fpn_1465221139__image.jpeg

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

-Montaigne

Wow, those look like nice writers. I've never seen a factory stub on a Vac (mine are pretty much universally F nibs) so completely jealous.

No pix, sorry, but I got two of my pens repaired: the Snorkel with the factory stub (which apparently is also an oblique), and the Cedar Blue 51 Vac with the gold-filled cap I got in Fairmont, West Virginia in March (have to still get used to the EF nib on it... :rolleyes:).

Got one pen: a lovely green Shadow Wave Vac (2nd generation, with the speedline filler) and got it repaired. Got a bunch of converters (3 twist style ones for the three Vectors I got on eBay a while back, and one for the Cross Solo that had belonged to a friend of mine. Was able to get a B nib (AND have it adjusted to write great) for the M200 Café Crème (and the IM nib on the pen got tweaked as well). Mad money purchases were the FP Day notebook set (one with Tomoe River paper and the other with sugarcane paper); another notepad (one of the ones with a pen picture on it); a bottle of Akkerman Shocking Blue :wub: ; and a nice little two pen zipper case (sorry Mario -- I really could only afford one by that point; maybe next time... :sm_cat:). And while I couldn't get it at the show, I have two bottles of Lamy Dark Lilac on order.

Some other potential repairs or advice on repairs will have to wait for another show. Plus I failed in getting a replacement barrel for my sentimental favorite blue Vector. Apparently cobalt blue is an unusual color.... :huh: And the Emerald Pearl jinx continues: this time it was the Green Shadow Wave (which is still better than the trials and tribulations I had with the USPS while trying to return the one I got on eBay last winter.

Overall, though, a good show. But Raleigh is a hike. If I go next year I'm seriously thinking about flying or even taking the train. And I absolutely despise Amtrak but I was a wreck by the time I got home (considered actually stopping in WV for the night at one point, but then realized that I was eating dinner in Fairmont, which is just a couple hours from me and made the concerted push to be in my own bed).

Now I'm working my way through all the laundry that normally would have been done on Sunday.... Had the second load in (plus cleaned up where the cat decided was the new litter box :angry:) before I'd had breakfast this AM.... So photos will have to wait.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Glad you made it back in one piece. That can be a bit of a hike through WVa.

Sounds like you got some good productive spending time as well as repair work.

Your stub snorkle reminds me of the most incredible pen I tried at the show. It was a factory-made flexible stub snorkle. Yes, you read that right. It was insane! He was rightly asking about $300-some because once you wrote with this you would never forget it. I've rarely seen a gold pen flex like this. Let alone a stub. LET ALONE A SNORKLE!!!!

It was just crazy. I'll never forget it.

Anyway, congrats, and maybe next year if you come we can finally meet.

Cheers

Andrew

-Montaigne

Had a wonderful time at the 2016 Triangle Pen Show.

Thursday trading in a room with limited attendance followed by the pizza party for dealers and weekend traders.

Friday, dealers set up quickly and down to business. Saw a MB Rouge et Noir ebonite numbered, limited edition, Sailor King of Pen Red Urushi, the Kaweco Brass Lilliput Supra and many, many Vanishing Points and Decimos (all at Anderson Pens). Franklin-Christoph had neither the Italian Ice or Antique Glass finish for any models. They did introduce a new pocket model, the Model 45 XLV. Auction preview started--great selection of Parker 51's and Shaeffer PFM V's and many, many other types. Very few reserves. Andy Lambrou had a copy of his new pen with Ryan Krusac's eagle painting on it. WOW! All in all, good traffic and I think everyone was happy.

Suturday. Started very nicely. Around 1pm, an off-site power issue occurred which caused the hotel to loss power. People slowly drifted away as the air conditioning lost out to the Carolina heat. About 2 hours later power was restored but by then most had wandered away. Auction Saturday night was very well run given the number of lots. Many of the PFM's and Parker 51's got we deserved bids for good collector grade pens.

Sunday I fled early to escape forecast thunderstorms.

My haul included a Pilot Custom 912 with an FA nib and from the Auction two Shaeffer PFM V's (one from Australia) and a Keene oversize.

Terry Mawhorter as usual ran a great show and all enjoyed.