• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpenlady

• AAAndrew

• GardenWeasel

• MrThoth

Address is still in my GPS and hotel reservations are made. Yep - we will be there.

I'll be there on Sunday! Can't wait

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Hotel booked; registration paid; funds set aside; plan of purchases already prematurely designed;

Can't wait! Looking forward.

Chapeaux packed for travelin' already! :lticaptd:

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

Address is still in my GPS and hotel reservations are made. Yep - we will be there.

Went to Fort Fisher, Carolina Beach, Kure Beach this weekend. What you shared regarding your GPS reminds me of a young man who was mailing something off at Kure Beach Post Office. He spoke into his telephone and the phone responded to him in a female voice giving him the address needed. Remarked, as I handed over my two postcards to the postmaster how times have definitely changed. As someone who remembers typing on a typewriter, using carbon paper, I am at times still amazed. Anyway, best I can do is I have Map quested the journey already to and return, sent the directions to 2 different email accounts and my Samsung Tablet, just in case. :lticaptd:

I'll print them out a bit closer to travlin' time. No need to waste copies and forget where they are located unnecessarily. :rolleyes:

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

LOL! GPS certainly makes the navigator's job easier 😀

LOL! GPS certainly makes the navigator's job easier

I have a GPS, the ones which several years back were dashboard or front windshield mountable. Used a couple times, can not locate it now. Probably out of date. Guess, I really enjoy the journey, straight forward or twist and turns of an adventure unfolding. Learned to trust my instincts/intuition, my time frame always being before dark, need to be wherever I am suppose to be safely.

"Not all those who wander are lost." I might be lost, but find it will be a source of hyperbole later. Everything is opportunity for an adventure and learning. If only, I will never get off onto that exit again! UTurn! :lticaptd:

Edited by fountainpenlady

LOL! When I miss a turn...the GPS voice says "make a legal U turn..." 🙀

LOL! When I miss a turn...the GPS voice says "make a legal U turn..."

:lticaptd: I like your GPS. Native New Yorker, you can take the lady out of New York, but you can't take her ingrained impulse to make a Uturn, anywhere, unless In DC or an Officer or State Trooper is within eye sight. :yikes:

I won't make it this year. Headed down to Miami to see my kids graduate. :) to see them..:( that the pen show is the same weekend--it's literally 5 minutes from my apt.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

Just so you know, I have only known Terry and Ben for 20 plus years. I only have had the best of times at their shows!

They are better than being with my family.

Columbus is/has been outstanding!

May book a flight for the first time to Raleigh this week., just to pick on Ben:)))

I won't make it this year. Headed down to Miami to see my kids graduate. :) to see them.. :( that the pen show is the same weekend--it's literally 5 minutes from my apt.

Wow! What a coincidence that it will be 5 minutes away, but you will be miles away that very same weekend. You have something more memorable to attend and where as this happens each year, that is a one time event. We'll give you the highlights. Just think, you probably would have done nothing more than spend your money on something which you did not need, deemed frivolous by the rest of the world, other than fellow fountain pen lovers. In this way, you can spend your money doing something more appropriate, adult, practical and including the graduation gifts, something more widely appreciated by others who might not possibly understand this interest shared. :lticaptd:

For those who have been to this show, how has it been? I'm considering making the 3 hour drive, but wonder if it'll be worth my while. Any thoughts from past attendees?

Thanks in advance.

For those who have been to this show, how has it been? I'm considering making the 3 hour drive, but wonder if it'll be worth my while. Any thoughts from past attendees?

Thanks in advance.

It is an experience some attend every year. Some make the trip because believe the closest alternative has already happened in Atlanta. It is a wonderful experience for those who miss several elements of this interest/passion:

1. actually being around others who enjoy any of the elements of this interest.

2. getting a chance to actually see and physically touch pens, and other items in person. Particularly if there is no brick and mortar store nearby.

3. chance to be overwhelmed! There is nothing like the atmosphere of seeing and being exposed to 65 vendors all having something to do with pens, paper, inks, and many people, all during the day/weekend together.

4. even if only once, since the show happens nearly all over, this might simply be an opportunity to actually be part of one here, even if three hours away, instead of relying on pictures and getting an idea of what it is like from others.

5.you have a chance to either purchase something, perhaps find something of interest, or just be able to table shop for the future.

6. chance to maybe meet others who you have encountered here.

7. if you have any pens which you need tuned, or worked on by a Nib meister, many of them will be there and you can either get your pen perhaps worked on during the show, or at least have a face to face meeting with them for later.

I won't speak on the rest, no doubt someone else will chime in for their perspective. I believe I am driving about two hours or so. This will be my second time. I still remember my first and it was memorable enough for me to miss attending subsequent years and be already excited about attending this one. :)

Edited by fountainpenlady

Here is a post I made on Facebook under the Triangle Pen Show Event:

I want to say a little something about this show for those that have never been. GO. While this is not the largest show or the busiest, it is one of the most enjoyable shows on the circuit. The promoter is a pretty good guy, don't want to say too much good about him or his head will swell. He goes out of his way to make everyone feel welcome. The hotel is one of the few that makes you feel like they are happy to have you there. A real breakfast and managers happy hour is included in your stay. The restaurant is not too bad either for those that like to dine in. The transplanted locals are great too! So if you can only manage to go to one show this year, treat yourself and make it this one.

There is also an auction, maybe even two this year. The main one is on Saturday night. After hours out by the pool with after dinner drinks and cigars if that is your pleasure. We have more fun at this show than any other.

I want to say a little something about this show for those that have never been. GO. While this is not the largest show or the busiest, it is one of the most enjoyable shows on the circuit. The promoter is a pretty good guy, don't want to say too much good about him or his head will swell. He goes out of his way to make everyone feel welcome. The hotel is one of the few that makes you feel like they are happy to have you there. A real breakfast and managers happy hour is included in your stay. The restaurant is not too bad either for those that like to dine in. The transplanted locals are great too! So if you can only manage to go to one show this year, treat yourself and make it this one.

There is also an auction, maybe even two this year. The main one is on Saturday night. After hours out by the pool with after dinner drinks and cigars if that is your pleasure. We have more fun at this show than any other.

Thanks. It has been several years since I attended my first TPS. I only went for the day. This time is going to be my first time actually staying the weekend. Nice to know some additional information regarding what to expect. Treating myself to a belated Mother's Day experience. I may attend the auction, simply for the experience. My plans so far are to hit the Franklin-Christophe table for a couple of things and other than that no plans for pens or inks. My now perfect collection is enough; loving my sample inks and the dilemma will be what inks to pack along with me for the trip, just in case.... :)

Just remembered you. Are you going to be attending? I am the one with the Bexley, which was sent to Levy. Decided to simply put a Goulet #6 nib on it and keep my writing life moving. However, thanks for the offer of seeing what you could do. Are you planning on attending this year's TPS? In any case, thanks for the additional information once again. Was wondering about the eating situation. :lticaptd:

Just remembered you. Are you going to be attending? I am the one with the Bexley, which was sent to Levy. Decided to simply put a Goulet #6 nib on it and keep my writing life moving. However, thanks for the offer of seeing what you could do. Are you planning on attending this year's TPS? In any case, thanks for the additional information once again. Was wondering about the eating situation. :lticaptd:

Glad you got things worked out with your Bexley. This is the one show, if we could do no others, that we would go to. We should be setup on the back wall of windows. The restaurant is a little pricey like all hotel restaurants but good. Close by is the Rally Point Sports Bar & Grill, Bonefish, and An (Asian). You also have the Wendys, McD, and Chick-filet. If you do not mind a 10-15 minute drive, then there is all kinds of places.