Inky T O D - Shipping Ink Samples Long Distances And Over Mountains

amberleadavis

Today is a 2 TOD day... see the other TOD about ink reviews.

Meanwhile, back at the ink ranch...

A few years back, I purchased some Akkerman inks in those lovely bottles. Thanks to the experience of others, I knew that the pressure from Sea Level to the high altitude of Las Vegas could create trouble. I avoided the trouble and yes, I did a video, but it wasn't as funny as the other FPNers pictures of exploding ink.

Fast forward to this month. I sent sample vials from Las Vegas to Boulder Colorado. (The shipment went over the Rocky Mountains). OOPS, those once secure tops, sort of exploded and leaked. (Maybe the inky party will post pictures). Anyway, since then I have discovered a few tips and tricks for mailing long distances.

What are your tips and tricks to prevent ink leaks?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Cyber6

• WolvertonMountain

• Runnin_Ute

If I know that the ink will have rough handling (going international,) or going from the high cold Rockies to sea level, I use silicon tape.

This is a product available any place that sells plumbing repair things. I actually purchased it for that. This product in the USA can be purchased at large chains such as Home Depot, online at Amazon.com

The way I use it is to cut off about a 1-1.5" inch piece. Peel off the backing. Hold one end in place, along the crease between the cap and vial, pull out the silicon to activate its sticky properties, and wrap it around that gap.

I've sent multiple times to sea level and once overseas without leaks. And When someone in Las Vegas mailed ink to me there were no leaks :)

PS I sent vintage ink this way to Australia and I believe it didn't leak, even with the poor timing (during the severe storms recently.) The ink arrived intact.

When I get home I will edit this post, or append, and have a sample of the silicon wrapped vial.

Do you have pictures of those that didn't arrive in tact?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I have a Teflon tape that also is used in plumbing, but I haven't used it for sample vials. Mostly I use electrical tape wound in the direction the cap turns to keep it in place.

I know many people suggest putting the samples in a plastic baggy. I usually do that too, but recently forgot. So I hope there is no leak.

If I know samples may have trouble, I add a layer of regular Scotch Tape around where the cap and body meet. I press it together firmly and try to create a super tight seal. Generally, I would also put the samples in a plastic bag like a ZipLok but I forgot this time.

fpn_1434432647__fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

Check out my blog at Inks and Pens

I live in Canada and ship all over the world.. (I do mean ALL OVER the world.. ;))... What is important to me is leak proofness and shipping price.

I started with vials, then vials and silicon tape... then I upgraded to below..... Pipettes are less expensive, and once they are properly sealed (lighter and pliers) are completely leak proof. The weight and size saves me tons of money on shipping (I can easily throw them in a small envelope).... so I am a happy gal with my pipettes. :D

fpn_1405051189__pipettes1.jpg

fpn_1405051338__pipettes2.jpg

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Cyber6, I remember when I turned you on to using pipettes and you turned me on to NOT using hot glue. I notice that you are still smart enough not to catch the plastic on fire (I'm not that smart yet).

Cyber6, I remember when I turned you on to using pipettes and you turned me on to NOT using hot glue. I notice that you are still smart enough not to catch the plastic on fire (I'm not that smart yet).

Yep... I never went back to ship vials. Nowadays, I only use vials for mixing... and to give away ink to my local friends.

C.

**** BauerInks.ca ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I live in Canada and ship all over the world.. (I do mean ALL OVER the world.. ;))... What is important to me is leak proofness and shipping price.

I started with vials, then vials and silicon tape... then I upgraded to below..... Pipettes are less expensive, and once they are properly sealed (lighter and pliers) are completely leak proof. The weight and size saves me tons of money on shipping (I can easily throw them in a small envelope).... so I am a happy gal with my pipettes. :D

What a neat idea. :D

I recently received a batch of ink samples from Amberlea. There were both sealed pipettes and 10ml vials; the vials were sealed with silicone rubber self fusing tape around each cap. The pipettes were in a hard plastic pen or pencil carrying case; the vials in a ziplock baggie. Everything was shipped from Las Vegas to Curaçao in the Caribbean, via Miami.

The pipettes are fine. Not a single drop of ink out of place.

The vials are a different story. All of them leaked so that there was ink under the seal and seeping out; one had leaked horribly, and coated most of the others with its contents. The leak is clearly from inside the cap, via capillary action, then out on the vial wall, out via the seal.

I think teflon plumber tape, which is very thin and stretches when pulled, would make a much better seal for these vials.

Sorry no pictures, I have cleaned up the mess and tried to salvage what I could, especially v.a.v. being able to read the labels. (some of the labels, attached to the side of the vial, are still more or less legible; the vials that were only labeled on the cap, with a big marker, are OK, and some vials seem to have labels that have completely absorbed the escaped ink - they are uniformly black.). I am happy to report though that I found no ink outside of the ziplock baggie. Sealing the vials inside that did work!

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

• 3 years later...

Silicon tape around the threads of the sample tube, then the cap around the tape (as opposed to tape around the cap after it is on the tube), then tubes in a ziploc bag worked well for me on a recent Rockies-to-different-location-in-the-Rockies sample swap.

Edited by goodpens

I wonder if Cyber6 uses the lighter to heat the pliers, then uses the heated pliers to crimp the pipettes. That's how I would crimp the pipettes but it would mean having a pair of needle nose pliers dedicated to sealing pipettes.

Hmmmm... Tomorrow I will visit Harbor Freight to acquire an inexpensive pair of needle nose pliers.

Clifton

I wonder if Cyber6 uses the lighter to heat the pliers, then uses the heated pliers to crimp the pipettes. That's how I would crimp the pipettes but it would mean having a pair of needle nose pliers dedicated to sealing pipettes.

Hmmmm... Tomorrow I will visit Harbor Freight to acquire an inexpensive pair of needle nose pliers.

Clifton

Nope, I heat the pipette tip (keyword "HEAT".. never let them catch fire) and just close them with my small pliers.

C.

**** BauerInks.ca ****

Nope, I heat the pipette tip (keyword "HEAT".. never let them catch fire) and just close them with my small pliers.

C.

Thank you, C. I now have a dedicated pair of pliers for doing just that.

Cliffy

I caught them on fire. It will work, but Claudia's way is much better.

I live in Canada and ship all over the world..

What a neat idea. :D

Yes, I think it's a neat idea to live in Canada.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

fpn_1405051189__pipettes1.jpg

fpn_1405051338__pipettes2.jpg

I'm glad I opened this thread and saw this neat trick!!!

I'm glad I opened this thread and saw this neat trick!!!

Haven't you met me??... I am full of neat tricks... :D :D :D :D ;)

**** BauerInks.ca ****

I recently sent from the Salt Lake City area (I live at 4500') to the Portland area (<1000' I believe). Usually, once I fill the vial I put tape around the cap, but spaced it this time. Didn't use a ziplock either come to think of it. Also something I usually do. Small cardboard (thin) box wrapped in brown kraft paper. Hopefully there are/were no issues. About 7 vials with 3 ml ink each. I didn't think of teflon tape - I do have some of that. And it is pretty cheap. I'll have to give it a try next time I send ink. I need to get some more vials though.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain