Ink Review: Diamine Syrah

Chrissy

I have decided to review some of my inks. Today I selected two red wine associated inks.

This one is Syrah.

I compared this ink with Diamine Amaranth, and with Diamine Flowers Gift set Burgundy Rose.

They are both slightly more red whereas Syrah leans towards the pinky purple side of the red spectrum.

If I could only have one out of Merlot or Syrah, I would choose Syrah. It's a really nice pinky purple shade. Less dark than it's name suggests.

• The water test on the review form shows this isn't a waterproof ink.
  • Bearing in mind the paper I use is very smooth, and the nib was a Lamy medium, this ink dried quite quickly: 6-9 secs to dry
  • It flows neither wet, nor chalky and lubricates the nib well. I noticed no problems with flow start-up or drying out, or lubrication.
  • It is currently available in 80ml glass bottles or 30ml plastic refill bottles.
  • Diamine sell it directly to end-users on their web-site.
  • It's a reasonable price

fpn_1434359274__diamine_syrah1.jpgfpn_1434359294__diamine_syrah2.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• Frank C

• Cryptos

• the_gasman

I have Syrah in a Mabie-Todd Swan with a super-flex nib and it is beautiful. All your comments are bang on the money.

If you buy direct from Diamine and spend more than £10 they include a free 5ml sample of a colour of your choice. I couldn't decide between Autumn Oak and Merlot -- they sent me both. Fantastic customer service. They have assured my continuing custom.

Thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate that. :)

Diamine have always offered me excellent customer service too. :)

Thanks for the review. You "forced" to buy the Diamine Music Set and Flower set, too, because of your review. I like all of their "winey" reds

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

I can't see a Syrah review and not leave a comment about this great ink!

For years it has been my first ink in every new pen and it always performed perfectly.

Greetings,

Michael

Thank you all for your very kind comments. :) I like winey red inks too.

I like red wine as well. :D

Thank you all for your very kind comments. :) I like winey red inks too.

I like red wine as well. :D

There may be some correlation here, just don't get them mixed up!

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

• 2 weeks later...

The good Richard Binder did the pen world a giant favour by coming up with this ink.

I purchased the 30ml bottle of this ink without trying a sample first and was poorly disappointed. In many photos it looks much more of a pinkish burgundy but it is not in real life. :( I don't really care for just plain red colors and this is just that - a dark red with no pink at all. I am sure it is perfect for many people, but not for me.

If anyone wants to trade for this ink just send me a pm. It is still a good ink just like all Diamine inks.

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1