Bril Fountain Pen

vig2432

Bril is a company based in South India known for producing very good inks. They generally do not produce pens(Somebody can correct me if this is wrong). So, I was pleasantly surprised when I had an opportunity to buy a Bril Pen and immediately grabbed it. I bought it from Sreekumar, who is a nibmeister with a bunch of other pens. The price of this pen is just 50 INR(<1$). At this price range, I was blown away at how smooth the nib performs and how pleasantly it writes.

fpn_1430210466__img_20150428_131937224.j

The Bril pen is a all plastic body pen and the plastic is sort of cheap looking. It comes with 2 Bril catridges filled with Bril Royal Blue. It does not fit an international converter, but a parker piston converter fits rather well. The pen is rather small at 12cm capped and 15cm posted. The weight of the pen must be less than 20gms.

fpn_1430210477__img_20150428_132338787.j

The nib is a steel nib, rather plain looking with just F written on it. It draws a fairly dry western F line. But the nib is very smooth with no feedback and worked well outside the box with no tweaking.

fpn_1430210407__img_20150427_183727647.j

fpn_1430210447__img_20150428_131837890.j

The pen cannot be eyedropper converted as there is a hole in the bottom.
Some more pictures:

fpn_1430210488__img_20150428_132506655.j

fpn_1430210502__img_20150428_132619478.j

fpn_1430210515__img_20150428_133355540.j

[url=https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1430210527__img_20150428_133429584.jpg]fpn_1430210527__img_20150428_133429584.j[/url]

Verdict: For 50 Rs, the pen has performed beyond my expectations. I do not know whether it is still available or not. I am very happy with this pen. If you want this pen, you have to contact Sreekumar(he goes by S-K on FPN)

[EDIT: Bril does produce a lot of office stationaries. The pen is mentioned here:http://www.brilindia.com/school_product_list.php

Edited by vig2432

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vig2432

• Honeybadgers

• Shyahi

• Shubho

Very nice review. Didn't know it even produces cartridges. The section seems very similar to the Sheaffer calligraphy pens.

The FP looks metallic. If you had not mentioned, by looks its metallic

Yes India has hidden gems which do not get wide exposure - at Rs 50 you get a c/c and good nib is remarkable.

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

Very nice review. Didn't know it even produces cartridges. The section seems very similar to the Sheaffer calligraphy pens.

The FP looks metallic. If you had not mentioned, by looks its metallic

Yes India has hidden gems which do not get wide exposure - at Rs 50 you get a c/c and good nib is remarkable.

Actually Sir, it comes only with 2 cartridges. The converter is from a parker vector pen

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

yeah looks like Sheaffer no nonsence....

can u please compare it with NNS...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

• 1 year later...

This model and some Bril pens with a color print finish and plastic clips are currently available on eBay in the US of A. The ink cartridges look just like the Jinhao and Hero cartridges from China which makes me wonder if they really contain Bril ink, and where the pen itself comes from. The model above is currently US$2.89 postpaid.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I have this pen and have been using it for a few years.it writes way better than a 50rs pen. Something one must definitely try out. I hope these are still available

I second Mehandiratta's opinion. Resembles the final generation of Sheaffer No Nonsense. I've enjoyed Bril ink for years, but never knew the company produced fountain pens. Thank you, vig2432, for your review & photos.

I've enjoyed Bril ink for years

This is interesting. It is even astonishing. Many FPNers who live in India have complained that Bril ink is hardly to be found outside of South India. Assuming that Barry Gabay lives in the United States, as I do, I must wonder: How has he been obtaining Bril ink for years?

The only reason I know about Bril royal blue is that an Indian pen pal, long resident in the United States, is the son of another pen crazy, living in Bangalore, where Bril is made, and who sends him Bril ink. My pen pal has kindly passed along a little, so that I might learn something. But I don't know how to get it in the United States. Not even in North India,, should I find myself suddenly in North India.

Most Bril inks stink like hell (I bulk ordered 8 bottles for about two bucks more than the cost of shipping, about $26) but I cannot deny they are very pretty and well behaved.

I got my bril inks here in the US after contacting them directly and sending them direct payment via paypal. One bottle had a damaged cap but everything was packed pretty well.

If you're interested in getting Bril inks, contact them at Brilchn@brilindia.com

I highly recommend the royal blue, but you're gonna pay ~$7-9 in shipping, so order a bunch, it's like forty cents a bottle.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Assuming that Barry Gabay lives in the United States, as I do, I must wonder: How has he been obtaining Bril ink for years?

There is a possibility that he travels and his travels have brought him to India where he picked up a few bottles? or that he has friends here who are willing to send him a couple of bottles. :)

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Read my post - bril ink is easy and cheaply obtained directly by bril themselves in the US. You can fit 4 bottles @ $1.00 USD each into a $7 shipping box, with a $2 international paypal fee, bril will sell you four bottles of ink, shipped to your door in the US, for $13. I spent more and bought 8 just because I wanted to try all the colors. I don't recommend the pink (too pale) or the red because it stinks like chloroseptic throat spray. Royal blue, however, is BEAUTIFUL. Bottles are 60mL and I would recommend Royal blue, turquoise, and violet.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 6 months later...

Actually Sir, it comes only with 2 cartridges. The converter is from a parker vector pen

vig2432 its a very nice post. Where can i find this pen. And how can i contact Sreekumar.

• 1 year later...
On 4/28/2015 at 2:34 PM, vig2432 said:

Bril is a company based in South India known for producing very good inks. They generally do not produce pens(Somebody can correct me if this is wrong). So, I was pleasantly surprised when I had an opportunity to buy a Bril Pen and immediately grabbed it. I bought it from Sreekumar, who is a nibmeister with a bunch of other pens. The price of this pen is just 50 INR(<1$). At this price range, I was blown away at how smooth the nib performs and how pleasantly it writes.

fpn_1430210466__img_20150428_131937224.j

The Bril pen is a all plastic body pen and the plastic is sort of cheap looking. It comes with 2 Bril catridges filled with Bril Royal Blue. It does not fit an international converter, but a parker piston converter fits rather well. The pen is rather small at 12cm capped and 15cm posted. The weight of the pen must be less than 20gms.

fpn_1430210477__img_20150428_132338787.j

The nib is a steel nib, rather plain looking with just F written on it. It draws a fairly dry western F line. But the nib is very smooth with no feedback and worked well outside the box with no tweaking.

fpn_1430210407__img_20150427_183727647.j

fpn_1430210447__img_20150428_131837890.j

The pen cannot be eyedropper converted as there is a hole in the bottom.
Some more pictures:

fpn_1430210488__img_20150428_132506655.j

fpn_1430210502__img_20150428_132619478.j

fpn_1430210515__img_20150428_133355540.j

[url=https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1430210527__img_20150428_133429584.jpg]fpn_1430210527__img_20150428_133429584.j[/url]

Verdict: For 50 Rs, the pen has performed beyond my expectations. I do not know whether it is still available or not. I am very happy with this pen. If you want this pen, you have to contact Sreekumar(he goes by S-K on FPN)

[EDIT: Bril does produce a lot of office stationaries. The pen is mentioned here:http://www.brilindia.com/school_product_list.php

That looks good beyond the octane and camlin 47 and with such a good grip on a fountain pen it indeed would be a delight to write with.