Can I Mix Sailor Nano Inks?

mrhr

sorry I've been searching on google and over the site and haven't found the answer.

so 1st can I mix Kiwaguro and Sei-Boku? has someone mix theses 2 without problems?

2d I have a Sailor Jentle ink Miruai, would that be mixable with the Sailor nanos?

thanks in advance

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrhr

• Intellidepth

• docolmo

Hi, welcome to FPN. I found this

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/135497-mixing-inks-sailor-nano/

In one of the earlier posts Sandy discusses a nano + Jentle blend that worked, so I reckon the answer to that one will be probably yes.

If you have a spare capped vial (or shot glass) handy, why don't you try mixing the two nanos to your preference in very small quantities, leave it for a few days to a week and see what happens? (If used, cover the shot glass to reduce evaporation.) If nothing happens, trial it in a cheap pen and go from there. Try the same with the nano/Jentle blend.

Keep an eye out for any precipitation, gelling, or foaming, in which case don't put it in a pen.

It would be great if you report back here with your results as I couldn't find a post that had tried your particular proposed blends before either.

Ink mixing is fun. 3/4 of my quantity of vials are filled with ink blends. :)

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

Well i did the kiwaguro and sei boku mix first in a syringe like 50:50 to see if a gate to another dimension was going to open but nothing happened. Shook it a little bit to se if there was some prefipitates and nothin. The mix in the syringe was way to dark so I grabbed the converters of a couple of pen, drew some ink, remixed it and put it back. Now I have 3 pens filled with this mix, diff ratios (the first one is darker, the other 2 are lighter) and the resulting color is not blue black it more like a teal. Se it's something. (Well tbh I prefer teals than blueblacks so I'm happy)

What I noticed during the day is that the platinum 3776 century with broad nib started to feel dryer, and it started skipping a little (rather a lottttt) maybe the mix has begun summoning satan inside the converter. Well if by tomorrow it goes dryer or gets skippier I'll clean it and that's that. I'll take photos later

Hi, welcome to FPN. I found this

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/135497-mixing-inks-sailor-nano/

In one of the earlier posts Sandy discusses a nano + Jentle blend that worked, so I reckon the answer to that one will be probably yes.

If you have a spare capped vial (or shot glass) handy, why don't you try mixing the two nanos to your preference in very small quantities, leave it for a few days to a week and see what happens? (If used, cover the shot glass to reduce evaporation.) If nothing happens, trial it in a cheap pen and go from there. Try the same with the nano/Jentle blend.

Keep an eye out for any precipitation, gelling, or foaming, in which case don't put it in a pen.

It would be great if you report back here with your results as I couldn't find a post that had tried your particular proposed blends before either.

Ink mixing is fun. 3/4 of my quantity of vials are filled with ink blends. :)

Yeah I read all that, but he didn't mix the kiwaguro and the sei boku. I'll try mixing sei boku and the miruai later

What was the resulting sheen like on your nano mixes? Trying to imagine a dark teal ink with a graphite (kiwa guro) + red (sei boku) sheen is doing my head in :).

I haven't any pigment inks but I believe they handle light quite differently to dye based inks, so my limited dye knowledge is useless here. As such, my curiosity is awakened yet again.

Edited by Intellidepth

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

I need to try more dilutions than the random I did and put in my pens. The one I've been using the most (the first "batch") it's a little dryer but the other pens seem to write just fine, weird. Writing seem like a teal kind of color, but today while I was on the phone I started to doodle and when the ink puddles looks weird. it's like the black sitting on top of the blue but didn't seem mixed, dunno how to explain. I guess photos would have done the trick but I forgot.

so I like the darker blue/teal tone (I love greens, if only greens were used on legal documents...), just need to test it more. don't know why the first pen I filled is writing dryer and not the others. the only downside is sometimes I'm lazy as (bleep) so when I empty the pens I'll go about mixing again. maybe I'll mix the jentle with the kiwaguro maybe I'll cure lupus

maybe

note: what the (bleep) why do I get bleeps haha (bleep) that

Edited by mrhr

• 5 years later...

I have both the Sailor Seiboku and Souboku pigment inks, but Seiboku is too light, while the Souboku is a shade too dark. I would like a blue-black nearer the Noodler's 54th Massachusetts Bulletproof ink, so I just mixed the two Sailor inks together (in the cartridge, NOT the bottle). So far so good. BTW, the Noodler's 54th Massachusetts is wicked ink. It is extremely wet, feathers badly and produces serious nib creep. Otherwise, I would really love it.