Left/right Oblique For Slanted Hand Writing?

greeeeb

Hi folks,

I used to write with a straight slant 'semi'-cursive. I used stubs, and left obliques. It gave me nice variation and compensated for my terrible hand writing.

Lately, I practiced palmer cursive, where it is slanted to the right. I used noodelr's untipped nibs--I do not write using tipped nibs. I find it easier to write with right slant; where my primary gain now is speed! I wanted to get back to my stub/oblique nibs. But I do not find them suitable for my new writing slant, where I rotate the nib to the right when I write with slant.

Should I get right oblique? left obliques are available at reasonable prices, but not right obliques. I do not want to take the chance and send a nib to a nibmister to find they do not fit my need.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• greeeeb

• sidthecat

• jar

• Florenze

One way you can try writing with a right oblique is by making one yourself, out of a flat carpenter's pencil, or a chisel-tipped calligraphy marker.

That way you can decide if it suits your writing style. Of course not exactly the same as a fountain pen, but should be close enough for you to see how it works for you.

There is another crude but effective indication of whether a right oblique will suit you... not all nibs will write inverted but try turning the left oblique upside down and see how you get on. :)

My Instagram page.

Thanks, all.

after I read your advice, I remembered there is an art material store close by that sells bamboo dip pens. I went and bought one with fine nib. I will go ahead and cut it as right oblique. It has nibs on both sides, so I got two chances only :) the pen is 4 usd. I can get more at low price if fail !

Thanks, again.

I have a couple of right obliques, but then I am left handed. I use Palmer and have a slant to the right. The left obliques are supposedly for right handed. I frankly prefer a normal nib, fine or extra fine. The rotating the pen thing is distracting.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Try Arabic or qulam nibs in your search. I think Dollar pens from Pakistan might be an inexpensive option, tho' I haven't tried them myself.

Thanks, all.

The bamboo pen has fine tip. However, it lays a bold line. I found then that there are right oblique dip nibs--Brause Bandzug and Leonardt Tape 70. I am buying some for testing.

I think Arabic pens are left obliques?

Thanks

Bought a $28 Oblique Italic for my PFM I to try it out. I didn't like it. Always had to find the correct orientation (nib turned to the left facing me) and this bothers me, not my normal. So, I put back in my normal stub. :)

fpn_1434850097__cocursive.jpg

@Jar,

what is cross addressers? sorry, I am not expert yet:)

@BeRa,

you dot like to rotate the pen, while it is what I usually do :( It is difficult ot get rid of that habit!

Thanks

@Jar,

what is cross addressers? sorry, I am not expert yet:)

@BeRa,

you dot like to rotate the pen, while it is what I usually do :( It is difficult ot get rid of that habit!

Thanks

It was a play on "Cross Dressers", obviously an unsuccessful one.

My Website

Since you've studied the Palmer Method your hand position is probably more consistent than mine, but my preference is a straight-across nib. If you do like to change position, you may not want to box yourself in.

Since you've studied the Palmer Method your hand position is probably more consistent than mine, but my preference is a straight-across nib. If you do like to change position, you may not want to box yourself in.

Sorry, I am not native English speaker. Would you kindly explain!

@jar,

you may try another one :)

Thanks.

More simply, I've never found oblique-cut nibs much fun to use.

More simply, I've never found oblique-cut nibs much fun to use.

Hi sidthcat,

actually I already use oblique and I like them. I can not get rid of the habit of rotating the nib while writing, and that is why I incline to obliques :( That require me to pay more, because I am not able to settle with standard nibs.

I am getting left and right obliques dip nibs in the next two days. I will update on the result!

Thanks.

Folks,

I got the nibs today by mail. I used three different dip nibs:

1- Brause C (Bandzuq) 3/4 -- right oblique.

2- Esterbrook Jackson stub -- straight

3- left handed mitchel 4 -- left oblique.

both the right and the left oblique cut angle is ~15-20 degree.

I used Noodler's Blue Eel and Habanero Inks on Rhodia No 18 paper.

The test results are as follow:

- the right oblique is the most comfortable while writing with right slant--I turn the nib a bit. However, it produces thick line pretty much all the time, except horizontally. I did not like it--I mean the right cut not the nib itself!

- the straight oblique produces the best line variation when I write with right slant. Straight slant is also good.

- the left oblique produces the best straight slant lines, and it comes second to the straight oblique with right slant.

In conclusion, I will use straight stubs for right slant cursive writing.

Thanks for all the replies and wish luck with my cursive:)

Brilliant!

My own preference is straight-across nibs. I bought an old Waterman Manifold nib that's left-oblique and I'll have to have it reground. They're hard to find, so hopefully worth the trouble.

• 1 month later...