• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• THRobinson

• drawline

• ac12

Red Dragon is a nice DARK red.

I use and like Sheaffer Skrip red. To me it is a nice clean red, no tint of another color.

As for online samples, the equipment and setup has to be properly color corrected from the shooting all the way to your viewing. There are so many places for color to change that it is very difficult to really nail the color down. This site for instance is BAD for looking at true color. I tried several times, and the image that I uploaded and viewed is not even close to the color of the ink on paper in front of me. Maybe uploading to a different hosting site might give you better colors.

Unless YOUR monitor is color calibrated and your viewing area is color neutral, the color you see on the screen is likely to be slightly off. In my case, I color calibrated my monitor, then had to adjust it to be less bright, so I can use it for other than working on photographs. Using a color calibrated monitor and viewing a mostly white web page or MS Word or Excel feels like looking at a bright light bulb...IOW rather useless for "normal" work.

BTW, as for ink color. The color of the ink CAN indeed be dramatically different based on the pen you use. I have Sheaffer turquose, a rather humdrum ink...I thought. Out of one pen it looks like a nice turquoise. Out of another pen, it is a dark teal with shading. If I showed anyone the ink samples from the 2 pens, they would think it was 2 different inks. It is that different. There are other inks that behave similarly, where the color/shade of the ink will change based on the pen (ink flow and width of the ink line) and the paper that it is written on. So no, ink is NOT like paint.

Red Dragon did seem dark, but, wanted to try that brand and Matador was unavailable, and Red Dragon still looked nicer than Eel Rattler... since ordering up from the USA to Canada, I didn't want to order anything less than 6 samples. Not worth it otherwise when you factor in shipping and exchange.

Colour calibrated monitors is half the battle for seeing stuff online. That's why I was trying to (in another thread) get people to understand the importance of setting white balance with a grey card vs 'eyeballing it' with their monitor. It's not 100% accurate, but a grey card would calibrate the colour much better. Then those of use with calibrated screens would at least see things somewhat accurately. Even on uncalibrated screens, if everyone used an 18% grey card to calibrate, at least samples would be more consistent, even by various users.

[aside]... shoot... I forgot to write up that how-to article.

For your files, you said when uploaded don't look the same... are you setting the file up with an ICC colour profile? If not, could be that you are setting your file up in a colour space like AdobeRGB, then when uploaded, the browser (IE, Chrome, FireFox, whatever) doesn't know which profile to use then defaults to sRGB and shifts the colour down to a smaller gamut/range. Usually when I see that happen, that's the case. Or someone has the file in CMYK mode and the browser converts to RGB, or 16bit and switches to 8bit... etc.

How/why colours appear how they appear and if ink/paint are similar is a go nowhere debate I've had with a few people on this site. I'm done. :)

I have a diploma in Art, a second Advanced Diploma in Graphic Design, and almost finished a certificate program in Photography (then I moved 3h away from the College so on hold for now). When it comes to colour and medium, I have a decent understanding of how it works... so, I just avoid that topic from now on and know that what I know is correct... saves me some headaches. :lol:

Edited by THRobinson

LAMY Al Star (Limited Ed. Copper Orange) w/ Noodler's Apache Sunset

LAMY Safari (Black) w/ Noodler's Black (Bulletproof)

LAMY Safari (Red) w/ Noodler's Eel Rattler Red

Noodler's Ahab (Clear Demonstrator) Used for Testing Inks

Parker Urban (London Cab Black) w/ Diamine Red Dragon

Parker Reflex (Green Pearl) w/ J.Herbin's Poussiere de Lune

That is deep dark orange? I was expecting a name like dark magenta, or cranberry, maroon.... definitely not seeing any orange happening. :D

Maybe Deep Dark Red? Looking at Cult Pens, that seems closer.

Nope, DDR is more brown in person.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY