Cross Century Classic

THEChris137

Hello,

First time here, so I hope I am posting in the right spot. I looked around and this seemed like a good place. I was recently given a Cross Century Classic fountain pen, like this one here:

http://www.cross.com/classic-century-classic-black-fountain-pen.aspx

I am wanting to get a bottle ink converter so I don't have to use the cartridges, but it seems that Cross doesn't make one that fits this pen, due to its slim size. Would anyone know of anyone else that would make a converter to fit this pen?

Thanks so much for any thoughts,

Chris

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ac12

• THEChris137

• Mike 59

• atc729

I have an older one and the green Cross converter for the Townsend fits http://www.cross.com/refills/shop-all-pen-and-pencil-refills/converters/ink-cartridge-/-bottled-ink-converters.aspx; however, I have read somewhere else on here that the new pens don't fit this converter. It could be worth a shot and Cross might take it back if you tell them you ordered the wrong product. But if the converter doesn't fit, you could always refill your cartridges with whatever ink you would like. http://blog.gouletpens.com/2012/07/fp101-refilling-ink-cartridge.html Hope this helps and good luck! i would love to know if the converter fits (if you go that route).

Hi, I don't own one of these slimmer Centurys, but I think it is as slim as the 'Spire' range.

I did ask in a shop that has sold Cross pens for many years, and I was told that there were no plans to supply a converter for these pens.

The slim Cross cartridges are the only type that will fit as far as I know, so refilling them is an option to buying more of them.

Nope

The Classic Century along with the Spire series use the slim Cross cartridge ONLY. There is no converter available. Your only option is to use an ink syringe to refill an emptied ink cartridge. I asked that question when I got my first Spire.

They are nice pens.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Thanks so much for the feedback. The video on how to just refill the cartridges is super helpful. That is almost certainly what I will end up doing. Just didn't like the restriction to cartridges.

Thanks again!

Chris

I have both the Spire in Caviar and the Century Classic in Chrome and the only thing I wish they had were the converters. I understand how futile my hope is but I still hope they will make a converter or someone will make one that fits these two pens.

I'm pretty much a noob in terms of fountain pens but these are my first two pens that I bought for myself. I just love the caviar version of the spire and the Century classic just looks classic... like something my dad used to use, and I get emotional attachment to things like this. I will try out the whole syringe thing too but once again, I can still hope right?

I have not done so myself, but, you could try to make your own converter, I might.

What I've read is:

- get an empty cartridge, stick in in the pen

- mark and cut if off about 3/8 inch out of the section. This is where you will cement on an ink sac.

- get an ink sac of a size a little smaller than the inside diameter of the barrel, to leave an air gap around the ink sac.

- determine the length of the sac that will fit, and cut.

- cement the sac to the stub of the ink cartridge with shellac

To use it, you stick the nib into ink, squeeze the ink sac to expel air, release the sac and wait a few seconds for the ink sac to expand and suck in the ink.

Not as elegant as a screw piston converter, but it should work.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com