J. Herbin Scented Rouge (Parfum Rose)

lgsoltek

I recently bought a set of J. Herbin scented inks, including 5 colours: Ambre (orange scent), Bleue (lavender scent), Rouge (rose scent), Verte (apple scent) and Violette (violet scent).

http://s2.homezz.com/201504/5915/50590_z.jpg

(The bottles are unlabelled - why so lazy J. Herbin? - and the colour stickers are made by myself.)

So far I've tried only two. I first tried the violet one and it's horrible. It's even more unsaturated than I expected from regular J. Herbin inks (which are notoriously undersaturated). It's an ugly pale blurple. It feathers and bleeds, and the smell is so strong that I couldn't finish my fill and I dumped it. And they call them "les subtiles". That smell is not subtle at all!

The red one, rose scented Rouge, though, is quite a nice surprise. It's not as undersaturated as I expected, and it smells quite nice. It's a darker red leaning towards purple.

Splash

http://s3.homezz.com/201504/5915/50587_o.jpg

Writing samples

It is somewhat water resistant. Nice.

http://s1.homezz.com/201504/5915/50589_o.jpg

Comparison

http://s2.homezz.com/201504/5915/50525_o.jpg

Photo

http://s1.homezz.com/201504/5915/50584_o.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• lgsoltek

• lapis

• Chrissy

Top Posters In This Topic

None of your images came through for some reason. :(

That being said, I'd be interested in seeing a comparison of Parfum Rose to De Atramentis Red Roses (an ink I really like a lot, not the least of which because of the lovely scent; the same can't be said of some of the other D'A scented inks, though...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Very nice comparison (of the 16 reds)! I use all 5 "subtleties" myself, from time to time... not because of the scents but because I too find them more saturated than the 30 "normal" inks. The 3 1670s are of course something else....

Mike

Edited by lapis

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I have this set to review, and my bottles are all individually labelled with colour matched labels for each ink colour.

Mine came directly from J.Herbin

I love the way you've put all the reds together for comparison. I don't have that many reds to compare my inks with when I'm writing my ink reviews.

Edited by Chrissy

The first picture seen up top in this thread is the 5-pack of 10-ml sample bottles. If you buy the real McCoys -- each in 30-ml bottles -- they look like this:

http://www.jherbin.com/images/subtile_blue.jpg

and, as described above by Chrissy, do in fact each have their own tie-on label. What you can't see here is that on the outside back cover, it says "NOT TO BE SWALLOWED".

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Well, now the pictures came through. Don't know what the problem was this morning (I had a bunch of little blue boxes with question marks in them instead).

Looks as if Parfum Rose is definitely in the red category. As opposed to D'A Red Roses, which is magenta/pink to red violet, depending on the pen I put it in.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The first picture seen up top in this thread is the 5-pack of 10-ml sample bottles. If you buy the real McCoys -- each in 30-ml bottles -- they look like this:

http://www.jherbin.com/images/subtile_blue.jpg

and, as described above by Chrissy, do in fact each have their own tie-on label. What you can't see here is that on the outside back cover, it says "NOT TO BE SWALLOWED".

My bottles are not the standard 30ml size like this. They are in the set of small 10ml x 5 bottles, and they are all labelled with individually stuck on labels that match the colours of the ink. I will take a picture tomorrow in the daylight

fpn_1429690914__herbin_ink_set.jpg

Edited by Chrissy

My bottles are not the standard 30ml size like this. They are in the set of small 10ml x 5 bottles, and they are all labelled with individually stuck on labels that match the colours of the ink. I will take a picture tomorrow in the daylight

Maybe it's a batch thing... Mine could be an old one.

Well, now the pictures came through. Don't know what the problem was this morning (I had a bunch of little blue boxes with question marks in them instead).

Looks as if Parfum Rose is definitely in the red category. As opposed to D'A Red Roses, which is magenta/pink to red violet, depending on the pen I put it in.

I don't have any dA. I have the impression that some of the names of their scented ink don't match the colour. They see to have a grey ink named Cinnamon. They might have come up with the ink first and given them names according to whatever it smells like. XD

I've been tempted more than once by these. The idea of a scented ink is somewhat strange to me, but I was taken in by the marketing. Apparently these inks are scented with perfume oils from Grasse, setting them apart from les autres encres parfumées de bas grade.

Reviews have been less than stellar, though, and the colors are uniformly not as nice as their unscented counterparts from Herbin. I'm still on the fence.

I've been tempted more than once by these. The idea of a scented ink is somewhat strange to me, but I was taken in by the marketing. Apparently these inks are scented with perfume oils from Grasse, setting them apart from les autres encres parfumées de bas grade.

Reviews have been less than stellar, though, and the colors are uniformly not as nice as their unscented counterparts from Herbin. I'm still on the fence.

My experience with the D'A scented inks has been similar. Red Roses does not appear to have a non-scented counterpart. Unfortunately, neither does Patchouli -- which smells (a) awful and (B) not a whit like patchouli.

Weirdly, Black Roses (which is scented like Red Roses) I think *does* have a non-scented counterpart; but I think also is the base in for the vanilla scented one (which I haven't tried).