Pilot Prera Medium

collectibles114

Pilot Prera, Medium Nib

While I was considering whether I should purchase the Pilot Prera initially, I read a number of reviews and even stumbled upon one that said that it was "one of the best fountain pens ever made."

I had been eyeing this pen for some time but was always held back when I thought that I should spend $50 on something else that didn't have the same nib as a Metropolitan or 78G (both of which I have owned before and have thoroughly enjoyed). Then again, if you're like me, you probably find yourself often giving away your Metropolitans or 78Gs to friends who discover the fascinating, joyous, and dare I say expensive world of fountain pens. But I digress.

Last week, after completing my final research project for my capstone, I caved and rewarded myself with this Pilot Prera in slate gray (which was purchased on Amazon for $30). Two days later the package arrived and I was eager to finally get my hands on this pen.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e237/collectibles114/IMG_4698_zpsqsukbny8.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e237/collectibles114/IMG_4705_zpszyke5yvw.jpg

Appearance:

The color of the pen is slate gray; I find it has a pleasant appearance. I was expecting a darker color from the pictures online—it is not a very dark gray. It looks almost like it has a hint of blue to me, which I personally like a lot. The chrome accents along the body and cap make the pen look expensive but not flashy.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e237/collectibles114/IMG_4736_zpslvxyofeh.jpg

PENS IN ORDER (FROM LEFT TO RIGHT): Jinhao 250, Faber Castell Loom, Pilot Prera, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e237/collectibles114/IMG_4743_zpsl5remqx6.jpg

PENS IN ORDER (FROM LEFT TO RIGHT): Jinhao 250, Faber Castell Loom, Pilot Prera, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity.

Build Quality:

This is definitely a smaller pen. I would consider it an EDC, but to be honest, with an MSRP of $58, I don't know how comfortable I would be taking it on the go. Don't get me wrong, this pen doesn't feel cheaply made, but it also doesn't feel very solid overall. I will say, however, that the cap and clip are both firm in place and don't wiggle around when I use the pen.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e237/collectibles114/IMG_4707_zpsw4xew4vm.jpg

Balance:

I can write with it posted and it feels nicely balanced. Uncapped, it is just a little awkward for my larger hands.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e237/collectibles114/IMG_4730_zps9tk7j0af.jpghttp://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e237/collectibles114/IMG_4731_zpsbiow3ikh.jpg

Filling System:

Unlike the Metropolitan and 78G, the Prera I purchased does not come with a converter. This could be because I got it for a cheaper price on Amazon. I noticed that they had the demonstrator Preras for sale also, which come with a converter (those are around $30 too).

Luckily, I had a spare CON-20 on hand and filled it up with Namiki Blue ink. One thing I noticed is that the pen is entirely plastic—I would imagine that you could get away with converting it to an eyedropper with some silicon grease. I'll have to try it sometime. :)

Nib Performance:

Okay, this is where the pen shines. The width is about 0.6-0.7mm, a medium. It writes VERY smooth. Seriously, I can't put it down... I just want to keep writing and writing. It does tend to run a little dry after about a half a page of writing, but that's not a huge deal to me. If it really becomes an issue in the future, I can always bust out a loupe and adjust the feed.

It is a nail. Smooth, yes... but it doesn't give much flex at all, which is expected from a stainless steal nib.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e237/collectibles114/IMG_4734_zpslvmq2vjp.jpg

Concluding Thoughts:

I really like this pen and I'm glad I purchased it for the price I did (you can get it here on Amazon, along with the demonstrator version as well).

Pros:

• Well-balanced pen
  • Very smooth nib
  • Can be converted to an eyedropper
  • Cap snaps snug into place
  • Clip is firmly attached to the pen

Cons:

• Does not come with a converter
  • Doesn't feel very solid overall
  • Nib sometimes runs a little dry

There is a video below that includes a brief writing sample. Enjoy! I'd love to hear your thoughts.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• collectibles114

• mehandiratta

• cjr

• Safari_Camo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My fantastically pen-addicted mother recently picked up a Prera M in white, also from Amazon, and allowed me to try it out. She got it for a little cheaper, around $30 CAD rather than USD (I assume you're using USD since your flag shows California). J-Subculture and its Amazon storefronts have fantastic prices on these babies, as is often the case with Japanese pens.

It definitely strikes me as more feminine than the Metro, and it's much lighter. I'd definitely still say it has a very classy appearance, though, and it writes very well! I've heard rumours that, although the Prera has the same nib as the Metro, that the Prera nibs have less inconsistency and therefore might go through a more intensive QC process or something along those lines. That being said, I already trust Pilot QC on pretty much any model so I don't think that's really an issue (and I can't really compare the Metro and Prera as my Metro has an F nib which is an entirely different animal altogether). I also can't say I've shared your experience with the nib running dry, although I haven't written pages and pages with it.

Although the design of the Prera looks more feminine, though, it doesn't have the weird section step issue that the Metro has, and feels very comfortable in my (large) hands. Definitely worth picking up on Amazon, but I wouldn't pay $50 for it - my Levenger True Writer F I got from MassDrop for around that much writes even better (and looks amazing).

I love mine!, is the same nib and feed of the Metro, but I prefer the Prera body.

post-71802-0-71456700-1429498447_thumb.jpg

Edited by CarlosCaligrafia

Pens:

Sheaffer Targa M / Parker 45 M / Sheaffer Imperial M / Parker Arrow

Lamy Vista F / Lamy Safari EF / PELIKAN M400 M Vintage (for sale)

Pilot Custom 74 F / Namiki Falcon SF / Pilot VP M / Pilot Prera / Pilot Metropolitan F M

Sailor Sapporo B / Platinum 3776 BB Stub

Pilot Custom 91 SFM / Pilot Custom 74 Dark Blue B

INSTAGRAM: @carlosoutfocus

I really love the Prera. I have (too?) many. At least 10, and counting. The grey is among my favourites. I love the design - clean, simple, modern, tasteful. Although a short pen, I find it very comfortable to write with as the girth is almost like that of a "full" size pen. The build quality for a pen of this cost is truly remarkable. Please don't be afraid to use as an EDC. I had two in my bag that I used every day at work for 2 years. I treated them badly; chucked them about, put stuff on top of them, stuffed them in my pocket, even lent them to people looking to borrow a pen (and they weren't FP users and all of them loved those little pens).

The nib is amazing. The 3 F nibs I have are quite soft & springy, but of course flex is irrelevant in these cases, as nibs like this aren't meant to be "flexed". Commonly, the M nibs I have are more rigid. The EF lays down a very fine line indeed. They are typical Japanese points - the F is definitely a European EF. I also have a nib that my partner made into a cursive italic. It's brilliant to write with. The factory italic (calligraphy) nibs available on the Iro-Ai (demonstrator), aren't really to my taste.

These pens aren't perfect and they will be too small for some. But they are robust, reliable, good quality and amazing value for money. One of those pens that stayed a bit under the radar and never became overly popular. Which is great as the price stayed low :-)

Verba volant, scripta manent

I love mine!, is the same nib and feed of the Metro, but I prefer the Prera body.

Love this, thank you for sharing. I may just find myself purchasing a demonstrator Prera in the future. It looks fantastic!

compared to the 3 I also like the Prera body the 78G was fine but it was a bit too dry for my liking

I had the same problem—when I initially received my 78G it too was dry. But when I adjusted the tines, it wrote incredibly smooth, even better than some of my more expensive pens.

I have the Prera in fine-point. Just got it last week, and I really like it -- no bad habits at all. I'm not concerned with the lack of a converter; once I've used the cartridge up, I'm going to eyedropper it.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

The Prera was one of my first pens and I like it a lot. So much so, that I bought a second one. The cap action is the smoothest and it's a clean looking, very good writing pen. I like it far more than my G78's.

Though, thinking about it, I don't own a Pilot that I don't like.

Very good review.

I am now inclining towards buying a full body Prera rather than the transparent version.

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

you're right, it IS more bluish than grey. but it is still equally nice. mine is a demonstrator with M nib. i personally think it is better than pilot metropolitan, only because unlike the metropolitan, the prera does not come with a step at one end of the grip section, which helps a great deal with the way i hold a pen when writing.

-rudy-

Loved the review..... Love the prera... does any one have an idea if folid body version comes with CM nib

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Loved the review..... Love the prera... does any one have an idea if folid body version comes with CM nib

it comes only with EF, F and M tip.

However, you can swap nibs of pilot 78g and pilot tank pen with prera.

Edited by bk123

"It's simple to be happy but difficult to be simple"

it comes only with EF, F and M tip.

However, you can swap nibs of pilot 78g and pilot tank pen with prera.

Cheers

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

• 3 weeks later...

Very good review.

I am now inclining towards buying a full body Prera rather than the transparent version.

I have to say, after using this consistently for a few weeks, it has easily become one of my favorite EDC pens. Reliable writer constantly, never skips a beat!

Edited by collectibles114

I have three and just ordered my fourth in medium. It will by one of my EDC pens. These nibs are the smoothest I've had. That includes Pilot gold nibs on VP and Stargazer. Best value on the market for an easy-to-carry daily writer. I even have one dedicated to Bay State Blue using a CON-20 converter.

Favorite pen/ink pairings: Edison Brockton w/EF 14K gold nib and Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Visconti Pinanfarina w/EF chromium conical nib and Noodler's El Lawrence; Sheaffer Legacy w/18k extra fine inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Sheaffer PFM III fine w/14k inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Lamy 2000 EF with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Franklin Christoph 65 Stablis w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and DeAtramentis Document Blue; Pilot Decimo w/18k fine nib and Pilot Blue Black; Franklin Christoph 45 w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and Noodler's Zhivago; Edison Brockton EF and Noodler's El Lawrence; TWSBI ECO EF with Noodler's Bad Green Gator.

Ii have the same colour and same nib size, I love it I don´t care about the size is the same size as TWSBI Mini and fits in my shirt pocket.

I´ve filled with Diamine Evergreen and use it for reviews and markups documents.

This pen is in my daily rotation.

I have three and just ordered my fourth in medium. It will by one of my EDC pens. These nibs are the smoothest I've had. That includes Pilot gold nibs on VP and Stargazer. Best value on the market for an easy-to-carry daily writer. I even have one dedicated to Bay State Blue using a CON-20 converter.

That's awesome! Are any of your three in fine? If so, I'm curious on what you think of the writing performance?

Ii have the same colour and same nib size, I love it I don´t care about the size is the same size as TWSBI Mini and fits in my shirt pocket.

I´ve filled with Diamine Evergreen and use it for reviews and markups documents.

This pen is in my daily rotation.

It's a pretty good pen. ;) I've used mine with Diamine Emerald Green, love the dark color it gives. Almost looks black with just a hint of green on paper.

I bought the light blue with a Fine nib. It rapidly became one of my go to travel pens. You mentioned you would be afraid to travel with it, but mine has taken a huge beating. It has been to beaches, hikes, camping, sat on, you name it. It is also the first fountain pen I have taken on an airplane that has not leaked. I even left it uncapped once during a flight just to watch it, not even a little ink came out of the nib.

I also liked it because you can replace the nib with a Japanese Extra Fine and medium italic from the Plumix and Penmanship. It was a good intro into those line widths in a much nicer pen than the originals.

As a medical student, I usually need to write in pretty small lines and the F nib wrote beautifully, the perfect width for minute lines. I bought it after a F Pilot Custom 74 and that 74 has remained uninked in a cabinet since (I'll probably be getting rid of it soon).

Anyways, the Prera is a durable, fun, portable pen for a great price (around $30). My wife liked mine so much she bought her own and then proceeded to steal mine and in my book you can't get a better endorsement than that! Congrats on the pen!