Let's See Those Vintage Nibs On Your Conid Bulkfillers!

mongrelnomad

pavoni and dcpritch, beautiful nibs in those pens! Thank you for sharing!

Since I have extra nib units for my bulkfiller I think I will also to find an appropriate stub nib...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mongrelnomad

• pavoni

• hanryy

• fountainbel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just got mine and I am not convinced that I need another nib on this pen. It seems perfect as is.....(but I could be wrong...).

You can't be wrong Doug, you are right. The pen is perfect as is.

And if, like some Users, your ever reliable Conid Bulkfiller becomes your daily carry but you actually find writing with another nib more enjoyable, then this thread will hopefully be of huge value. In the meantime..... :thumbup:

For those new to the Conid Bulkfiller, Post 72 of the link below shows fellow FPNer 'Mandarintje', with the first (known) Bulkfiller to be set up with a vintage nib......and clip!

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/225920-conid-fountainbels-bulk-filler-ltd-demonstrator/page-4

Just goes to show the potential of these fabulous pens to satisfy. Enjoy and please keep sharing :)

Pavoni.

Hey dcpritch, love that Bexley 18k stub. Great idea and looks great. :thumbup:

I was unaware of that ink. What a fabulous colour! Thanks for sharing.

Pavoni.

So my new Kingsize demo just arrived from Belgium, sporting a rather special nib. Any guesses? ;)

17972055671_2e86e59e42_h.jpg

Too many pens; too little writing.

So my new Kingsize demo just arrived from Belgium, sporting a rather special nib. Any guesses? ;)

oh gorgeous nib! what is it?

I think one nib that would look fantastic on would be romillo's.

a 149 nib in EF is my guess..... Vera

oh gorgeous nib! what is it?

I think one nib that would look fantastic on would be romillo's.

a 149 nib in EF is my guess..... Vera

Indeed: a 1980s W. German 14k bi-tone EF 149 nib. This has been waiting a long, long time for a suitable pen...

Now if only I could decide what ink to fill it with...

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

Wow :puddle: :puddle: "....elegant pairing" is exactly right.

That MB 149 nib looks as though it was made specifically for that Kingsize Bulkfiller. Congratulations and ....wow! Worth the wait.

Still need an ink-filled picture though mongrelnomad. Nothing looks quite as good as a full Bulkfiller Demonstrator sporting a clean, different nib. A small writing sample would be a real treat for the weekend....please! :thumbup:

Pavoni.

Update:

My absolute favourite fountain pen is the majestic Montblanc 139. I have two. Given their value to me, mine stay at home. My favourite modern fountain pen is the outstanding Conid Bulkfiller. It is a very practical, reliable and attractive pen and I carry mine all the time. However, I am frustrated with its adequate but boring Bock titanium nib. My absolute favourite nib is the amazing Leonardt Principal and I use these nibs in my oblique holder(s) at work for all my formal letter writing.

As I continue my quest, to find the perfect nib for my standard-sized Bulkfiller, I find myself delving deeper into my pen collection for candidate nibs. I have a few pens and, if it isn’t practical for me to use all my pens as often as I would wish, I might as well take advantage of borrowing a suitable nib knowing I can put it back whenever I wish.

I recently borrowed a Waterman’s 5 nib from my Waterman’s 55. Whilst a perfect fit and considerable improvement over the Bock, mine unfortunately only has medium flex, rather than superflex, qualities.

Today I am trying a John Holland size 6 dip nib. The nib is 14k gold and has iridium tipping and as such, with sensible use, the nib should clearly outlive me and of course it won’t rust. I paid a lot of money for this 1850s dip nib to be put onto a vintage eyedropper in the hope of realising a perfect pen.

Pavoni

This is so hard-core! I am blow away. Not only do you have an amazing pen and nib collection, not only do you know how to make things work, but you also write stuff at work with an oblique holder!!! That is pure awesomeness.

• 5 months later...

My Bulkfiller is on the way and I am newly smitten by the #6 Franklin Christoph EF steel nib. I didn't a think a steel nib could take priority over my Sailors but it defnitely has. Of three FC pens I now have it's impressive how consistent their EF nibs are.

Hoping mightily that it will fit on the Regular Bulkfiller...but also can't wait to try the Conid EF grind on the titanium and steel nib coming with my order. (Thanks Werner!!)

Edited by Steelblue

That Emblem nib on your Bulkfiller looks just about perfect opus. Great combination :thumbup:

Many thanks for sharing.

Pavoni.

I just acquired a new vintage stub nib. A Wahl Eversharp Adjustable no.9 stub at that!

A teaser here while I try to figure out how I am going to make this work....but I am confident that I can *make* it work....

post-78776-0-48435300-1446185170.jpg

I just acquired a new vintage stub nib. A Wahl Eversharp Adjustable no.9 stub at that!

A teaser here while I try to figure out how I am going to make this work....but I am confident that I can *make* it work....

attachicon.gifStubnib.jpg

What a beautiful nib hanryy, congratulations !

Seeing you have a slimline Bulkfiller, I doubt unfortunately this nib will fit.

Major exchangeability parameter is the diameter of the feed.

The slimline features a feed diameter 5 mm, so you can only use this nib if the feed used on your WA features approximately the same diameter.

Another issue could be the length of the nib.

If the nib sticks out too far of the section, the nib point may hit internlally in the cap .

So please check these parameters before starting the introduction of your WE adjustable nib

FYI : The "Regular" Bulkfiller "features a feed diameter of 6 mm, and the "Kingsize" bulkfiller features a feed diameter 8 mm.

I expect your WE nib may be more suited to install on one of these versions.

Francis

Thank you for the feedback Francis. Those are some excellent points that need to be considered. You are absolutely right that the interchangeability of vintage nibs onto modern pens is not a common trait. Trying to jam a nib that is too large onto too small of a feed can permanently damage the nib. Such transplants need to be done very carefully.

Luckily for me, the Wahl Eversharp nib tapers down to fit perfectly on the modern no.5 nib! but it is still far too long. However after a weekend of contemplation on the problem and 4 hours of careful cutting of the feed and housing with an X-Acto knife I got the nib snugly equipped on the slimline!

post-78776-0-57200300-1446539614_thumb.jpeg

For those who are curious, this was not a modification for the faint of heart... the major issues were length -- as pointed out by Francis, width for fitting into the section, and also having space underneath the nib for the sliding mechanism. One of the many great things about Bulkfillers is the ability to tear them down completely. Since the feed and nib housing are easily removed, I was able to carve out the feed so that the nib would sit further down on it, as well as to make space for the slider. Also the nib housing had to be significantly altered (i.e. cut away) to make space for the broader nib shoulder width. Lastly, I placed an extra O-ring in the cap to give the nib the last extra 0.5mm of clearance I needed to screw down the cap. The feed is rather ugly looking now, but that's ok because you cant see it anyway with the nib covering the dirty work ;)

post-78776-0-46750600-1446540359.jpeg

The combination isn't perfect yet. It is a hard starter right now, but once the ink is flowing it writes wonderfully. I will have to continue work on setting the feed to my tastes over the next week or so...

Fantastic job hanryy, my sincere congratulations !

I did not think on the slider lips which sit at the concave side of the nib.

You are fully right, you have to make undercuts in the feed for the slider lips

Cutting the feed locally out for the slider lips must have been a delicate job.

Hopefully you did not cut too far and did reach the ink channel ?

Francis

Fantastic job hanryy, my sincere congratulations !

I did not think on the slider lips which sit at the concave side of the nib.

You are fully right, you have to make undercuts in the feed for the slider lips

Cutting the feed locally out for the slider lips must have been a delicate job.

Hopefully you did not cut too far and did reach the ink channel ?

Francis

Thank you Francis.

it was a delicate job in the sense it was done very carefully, but not delicate in the implied way that there was elegance to the cutting :P it is quite a gruesome scene underneath the nib, but it is functional. As far as I can tell I only carved into solid plastic so I do not think I cut into the ink channel.

The conid bulkfiller continues to be my single pen of choice for more than half a year now. It has not gone un-inked a single time since I bought it. My one issue is I now have too many nibs for the one pen (Bock Ti, a flexible vintage Waterman, and now this Eversharp Adjustable).

• 4 months later...

Hi, I'm hugely inspired by the wonderful posts in this thread and would like to plonk something fancy on the pointy end of my regular Bulkfiller. Does anybody know if a Montblanc 146 nib would fit the 6mm feed? There are some vintage ones floating around out there for a fair price.

Also considering vintage options, but just don't really know which vintage nibs are gems and which are nothing so special. If I went vintage I'd like a soft or semi-flex nib, EF or needlepoint, and have found a ton of vintage Parker and Waterman options to consider. The Parker two-tone ones are interesting and I rather like the significant patina many of them possess. Any tips or especially nice nibs to look out for?

Thanks!

Edited by Hypocaffeinic

Conid R DCB DB FT Ti & Montblanc 146 stub nib | Lamy 2000; Vista | Montblanc 90th Anni Legrand | Pelikan M800 Burnt Orange; M805 Stresemann | Pilot Prera; VP Guilloche | Visconti Fiorenza Lava LE; Homo Sapiens Bronze