Let's See Those Vintage Nibs On Your Conid Bulkfillers!

mongrelnomad

Hi, I'm hugely inspired by the wonderful posts in this thread and would like to plonk something fancy on the pointy end of my regular Bulkfiller. Does anybody know if a Montblanc 146 nib would fit the 6mm feed? There are some vintage ones floating around out there for a fair price.

Also considering vintage options, but just don't really know which vintage nibs are gems and which are nothing so special. If I went vintage I'd like a soft or semi-flex nib, EF or needlepoint, and have found a ton of vintage Parker and Waterman options to consider. The Parker two-tone ones are interesting and I rather like the significant patina many of them possess. Any tips or especially nice nibs to look out for?

Thanks!

I have a lovely old 146 flex nib for my regular bulkfiller. They're a bit short, but if you sent it to Francis, he can adjust a feed to accept it.

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mongrelnomad

• pavoni

• hanryy

• Bill Wood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a lovely old 146 flex nib for my regular bulkfiller. They're a bit short, but if you sent it to Francis, he can adjust a feed to accept it.

That sounds great! How short is it, would you mind posting a photo of the pen please? :)

Conid R DCB DB FT Ti & Montblanc 146 stub nib | Lamy 2000; Vista | Montblanc 90th Anni Legrand | Pelikan M800 Burnt Orange; M805 Stresemann | Pilot Prera; VP Guilloche | Visconti Fiorenza Lava LE; Homo Sapiens Bronze

Well I have finally dipped my toe into the lurid green waters of the Frankenpen Pond... I present to you all..

*dramatic muzak*

*thunderclaps* PELIKONID!!! (I used Comic Sans MS for extra horror)

The nib sat in there beautifully but despite being an EF it was far too wet and wide for me. And I thought the titanium nib was wet! This is just gigantic. It's helped me to be sure however that a steel nib will be the right option for me.

To extract the birdie nib from its nest I had to soak the Pelikan nib unit in warm water and then use my fingers to carefully push out the nib section from the collar (I don't have a nib knockout block). Took fricking HELLA pressure; I did it this morning and still have the dents in my thumbpads!

(To clarify, I had fingers upon the collar, then applied pressure to the back of the feed to push the feed & nib forwards out of the collar. No pressure upon the actual precious nib itself.)

The Pelikan assembly went back together very easily, however I didn't get the position of the nib quite right. Now I have to warm it up and push it out again, but will give my thumbs until tomorrow before breaking that news to them...

Question:
Is it possible for a feed to be really wet, as well as a nib? This pen is just a firehose. The Pelikan nib is nowhere near this gushy in its native setting!

post-124533-0-44538400-1458720335.jpg

post-124533-0-83567100-1458720349.jpg

post-124533-0-00829100-1458721047_thumb.jpg

post-124533-0-09062400-1458721069_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hypocaffeinic

Conid R DCB DB FT Ti & Montblanc 146 stub nib | Lamy 2000; Vista | Montblanc 90th Anni Legrand | Pelikan M800 Burnt Orange; M805 Stresemann | Pilot Prera; VP Guilloche | Visconti Fiorenza Lava LE; Homo Sapiens Bronze

• 4 weeks later...

So I have my CAISO ordered and I want to do a similar nib swap when I receive it. Since the CAISO has the same nib as the Kingsize, do we know of all the nibs that would fit a Kingsize? I saw one person post a Montblanc 149 nib on his, but I'm curious to other brands. How about the nib of an Omas Paragon or one of the larger Montegrappa pens?

One that I am considering is the nib of a Montegrappa "Tertio Millennio Adveniente" since I found a place that I can purchase one, but it might be nice to have an Omas to commemorate their last year. I do love the idea of having a gorgeous nib like this peeking out of the transparent cap of the Conid.

http://www.penlover.it/catalogue/655/f05.jpg

• 1 month later...

So I have my CAISO ordered and I want to do a similar nib swap when I receive it. Since the CAISO has the same nib as the Kingsize, do we know of all the nibs that would fit a Kingsize? I saw one person post a Montblanc 149 nib on his, but I'm curious to other brands. How about the nib of an Omas Paragon or one of the larger Montegrappa pens?

One that I am considering is the nib of a Montegrappa "Tertio Millennio Adveniente" since I found a place that I can purchase one, but it might be nice to have an Omas to commemorate their last year. I do love the idea of having a gorgeous nib like this peeking out of the transparent cap of the Conid.

http://www.penlover.it/catalogue/655/f05.jpg

I like the way you think! The Montblanc 149 has a number 9 nib as well as the sailor king of pen. I'd love to get a #9 sailor kop nib on one but I'm having some difficulty explaining my desire to Werner.

My wish is to get an extra feed and nib unit that would fit a #9 nib and one if it's possible that would work with #6 nibs. I like swapping nibs a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the way you think! The Montblanc 149 has a number 9 nib as well as the sailor king of pen. I'd love to get a #9 sailor kop nib on one but I'm having some difficulty explaining my desire to Werner.

My wish is to get an extra feed and nib unit that would fit a #9 nib and one if it's possible that would work with #6 nibs. I like swapping nibs a lot.

Maybe shoot a message to Francis (Fountainbel here on FPN). He's crafted a number of 149 nib units for my Kingsize Bulkfillers (I gather that the housing has to be altered slightly to accommodate the MB's added length), and would be able to tell you immediately if a nib is a no-go.

Too many pens; too little writing.

Hi all,

For donor nib replacements, the feed diameter is the most important parameter.

As long as the feed originally used with the donor nib features a diameter close to the Bulkfiller feed one can most probably swap the nibs .

A second parameter is the length of the donor nib.

And a third parameter could be the body-end thickness of the nib.

If the donor nib is thinner the nib could possibly waggle during writing, although i did not experience real problems yet.

The Bulkfiller feed diameters and nib lengths are as follows :

- Slimline : feed diameter 5 mm, nib length 26 to 27 mm.

- Regular, Minimalistica and Giraffe : feed diameter 6 mm, nib length 34 to 35 mm

- Kingsize , including CAISO : feed diameter 8 mm, nib length 38 to 39 mm

Note the feed diameter originally used for the donor nib may be 0.2mm.smaller or larger as the Bulkfiller feed.

Hope this helps !

Best regards,

Francis

• 5 months later...

http://i.imgur.com/RBlRuPc.jpg

Conid Minimalistica arrived today so I had to put a Sailor nib on it. Attached the nib without any modifications to the bock feed or housing. The medium Sailor nib writes a bit wetter than with the Sailor feed so far. I'm sure that my Sailor Naginata Togi nib will fit fine as well. So far very happy with the pen!

Congratulations on your new Conid. Really like the fact that you said that you had to put a Sailor nib on it.

I felt I had to fit an alternative nib to my first Conid, and by doing so I conveniently found the excuse I was looking for to justify getting another. :)

Please let us know (with pictures please) if the Sailor Naginata Togi nib fits. Thanks for sharing, Love this thread.

Pavoni,.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have finally dipped my toe into the lurid green waters of the Frankenpen Pond... I present to you all..

*dramatic muzak*

*thunderclaps* PELIKONID!!! (I used Comic Sans MS for extra horror)

The nib sat in there beautifully but despite being an EF it was far too wet and wide for me. And I thought the titanium nib was wet! This is just gigantic. It's helped me to be sure however that a steel nib will be the right option for me.

To extract the birdie nib from its nest I had to soak the Pelikan nib unit in warm water and then use my fingers to carefully push out the nib section from the collar (I don't have a nib knockout block). Took fricking HELLA pressure; I did it this morning and still have the dents in my thumbpads!

(To clarify, I had fingers upon the collar, then applied pressure to the back of the feed to push the feed & nib forwards out of the collar. No pressure upon the actual precious nib itself.)

The Pelikan assembly went back together very easily, however I didn't get the position of the nib quite right. Now I have to warm it up and push it out again, but will give my thumbs until tomorrow before breaking that news to them...

Question:

Is it possible for a feed to be really wet, as well as a nib? This pen is just a firehose. The Pelikan nib is nowhere near this gushy in its native setting!

Looks the Pelikan nib is a few millimeter shorter compared to the original Bock nib Please try pushing your Pelikan nib deeper in the nib housing. In its actual position the nib is not supported deep and tight enough in the nib housing, hence the nib will bend off easily, leading to an excessive ink flow .

Francis

post-124533-0-44538400-1458720335.jpg

post-124533-0-83567100-1458720349.jpg

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried to put a Sailor speciality nibs ( https://www.nibs.com/content/sailor-specialty-nibs) on a Conid Bulkfiller? I'm thinking of the Cross Point Emperor nib in particular. I note the dimensions of nibs possible were provided by fountainbel previously in this thread but I can't find nib size/dimensions for the Sailor nibs.

Any insights very welcome.

Edited by JMTB

@JMTB

I've tried the Sailor NT on the Bock feed. The nib is a tight fit, and also considerably shorter than the Bock nib in comparison. I didn't notice until later that my Bock feed had a chip which may have caused the saturated feed. I don't have any Sailor nibs on me at the moment so I can't test it again.

I've talked with another person who had no issue with the Sailor NT on the Bock nib - although he said he did a bit of modification to the housing.

• 3 weeks later...

Not vintage but it worked out well ...

http://i.imgur.com/WMOLOgG.jpg

Fantastic. The Franklin Christoph nibs looks very good and I'm also considering using my Conid Regular as a host. As a newby in nib replacements I'd really like a video or step by step guide on this. Is anyone aware of such material or prepared to show the process?

Thanks in advance!

Does mean that a #6 jowo nib will actually fit a conid? I thought jowo would not fit a bock housing.