Let's See Those Vintage Nibs On Your Conid Bulkfillers!

mongrelnomad

As fitting vintage nibs to the Bock size 6 units on the regular-sized Bulkfillers is a relatively simple affair, how many FPN-ers have undertaken such a transplant? What did you install? How do you find them? Photos please!

I'll start - Sheaffer Lady Lifetime EF nib on an FPR Bulkfiller demo. Pen filled with Sailor Jentle Oku Yama...

16580096424_e52ffc1bd8_b.jpg

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mongrelnomad

• pavoni

• hanryy

• fountainbel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great shot. Thanks for posting. To tell you the truth I'm unsure what nibs will fit on the Conid Bulk Filler feeder. I realize it's a Bock 6 - but what fits? You've found it I see.

Any nib with a 6mm base (to fit the 6mm feed). Length is a bit of trial and error, but this nib fits just fine. I have a Waterman Patrician EF flex on the way too... Can't wait to try that.

Wow! Nice one mongrelnomad.

It was only yesterday that I replied (in 'Nibs & Tines') on this very wonderfully exciting subject.

Whilst I have tried many, I eventually found that a Waterman 55 size 5 nib fits perfectly:

fpn_1429559218__bulkfiller-1_es_waterman

fpn_1429559391__bulkfiller_es_waterman_5

Pavoni

Edited by pavoni

Wow! Nice one mongrelnomad.

It was only yesterday that I replied (in 'Nibs & Tines') on this very wonderfully exciting subject.

Whilst I have tried many, I eventually found that a Waterman 55 size 5 nib fits perfectly:

fpn_1429559218__bulkfiller-1_es_waterman

Pavoni

Nice! I'll have to check out that thread...

Love your photo of that Sheaffer EF nib. EF is definitely my favoured nib width.

As and when I improve upon my Waterman nib, I will update your thread. Hopefully we will inspire other Bulkfiller owners.

Pavoni.

Love your photo of that Sheaffer EF nib. EF is definitely my favoured nib width.

As and when I improve upon my Waterman nib, I will update your thread. Hopefully we will inspire other Bulkfiller owners.

Pavoni.

Agreed. The no-risk tinkering (well, limited risk - buying a new nib unit is far cheaper than buying a new pen) seems yet another feather in the cap of an already remarkable series of pens... :thumbup:

Any nib with a 6mm base (to fit the 6mm feed). Length is a bit of trial and error, but this nib fits just fine. I have a Waterman Patrician EF flex on the way too... Can't wait to try that.

By 6 mm do you mean shoulder to shoulder, or the very back of the nib ?

By 6 mm do you mean shoulder to shoulder, or the very back of the nib ?

The ones that have worked are at the very back of the nib...

very interesting thread! I have ordered a slimline for myself. It is expected to ship by the 30th of this month...

I hope to transplant some vintage flex onto mine as well. I will be sure to share my results here.

Has anyone considered machining their own nib housings that can simply screw in as a replacement for the bock units?

very interesting thread! I have ordered a slimline for myself. It is expected to ship by the 30th of this month...

I hope to transplant some vintage flex onto mine as well. I will be sure to share my results here.

Has anyone considered machining their own nib housings that can simply screw in as a replacement for the bock units?

Not really, but I'd be interested in any easy method of picking up Bock nib housings (preferably without the nibs)...

Edited by mongrelnomad

Not really, but I'd be interested in any easy method of picking up Bock nib housings (preferably without the nibs)...

I think the easist way is probably just buying 3-4 extra steel nib units when buying your next Conid. If I recall correctly, each one is only 5 EUR. At least for the #6 nibs.

I sent Werner a message about them a few days ago but no reply yet. I guess they are a bit overwhelmed dealing with orders and the VAT refund issue 😞

Argh. I can find everything ..other than a broad. I've sent two messages to Werner. Must be very busy as mentioned. If anyone sources a broad 6mm please let me know.

Update:

My absolute favourite fountain pen is the majestic Montblanc 139. I have two. Given their value to me, mine stay at home. My favourite modern fountain pen is the outstanding Conid Bulkfiller. It is a very practical, reliable and attractive pen and I carry mine all the time. However, I am frustrated with its adequate but boring Bock titanium nib. My absolute favourite nib is the amazing Leonardt Principal and I use these nibs in my oblique holder(s) at work for all my formal letter writing.

As I continue my quest, to find the perfect nib for my standard-sized Bulkfiller, I find myself delving deeper into my pen collection for candidate nibs. I have a few pens and, if it isn’t practical for me to use all my pens as often as I would wish, I might as well take advantage of borrowing a suitable nib knowing I can put it back whenever I wish.

I recently borrowed a Waterman’s 5 nib from my Waterman’s 55. Whilst a perfect fit and considerable improvement over the Bock, mine unfortunately only has medium flex, rather than superflex, qualities.

fpn_1430026540__waterman_55_nib.jpg

Today I am trying a John Holland size 6 dip nib. The nib is 14k gold and has iridium tipping and as such, with sensible use, the nib should clearly outlive me and of course it won’t rust. I paid a lot of money for this 1850s dip nib to be put onto a vintage eyedropper in the hope of realising a perfect pen. However, whilst eyedroppers benefit from a huge ink capacity, they are not exactly practical in the modern work environment and in any event, what on earth is the point of having such ink capacity if the ink level has to be continually topped up for the pen to work properly?

So, a dip nib on a Fountainbel Conid Bulkfiller!

fpn_1430027586__john_holland_size_6_dip_

fpn_1430026882__john_holland_size_6_dip_

fpn_1430026947__john_holland_size_6_dip_

Pavoni

Edited by pavoni

Considering the huge ink capacity of these pens it would be amazing to find a vintage music nib that fits. That would be quite the set-up.

Considering the huge ink capacity of these pens it would be amazing to find a vintage music nib that fits. That would be quite the set-up.

You are absolutely right hanryy. I would have thought the Bulkfiller to be the most perfect pen for a vintage music nib and I must admit you now have me wishing to see such a picture.

Pavoni.