• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shethkapil

• Flounder

• Nosferatualso

• amk

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 78Gs are great little pens that don't cost an arm & a leg.

I have a BB pen in black & a B in burgundy, with the small capacity but reliable Con-50 piston converters. Both stainless nibs were smooth right out of the package (no box). These pens have a narrow concave grip that's very comfortable.

I highly recommend them.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

i have B, BB and F. Prefer the BB to practice my writing and the fine to draw & doodle. The B is a bit dry but the BB is wet. Got green, red and black. The black is often mistaken by the Pilot Namiki when I want to draw it from the case.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone selling the 78 G with the BB nib at a good price? The best I have seen is around $19 USD.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

The 78Gs are great little pens that don't cost an arm & a leg.

I have a BB pen in black & a B in burgundy, with the small capacity but reliable Con-50 piston converters. Both stainless nibs were smooth right out of the package (no box). These pens have a narrow concave grip that's very comfortable.

I highly recommend them.

My F nib is so fine it takes forever for the ink level to change perceptively lol.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

I have a 20-year-old Black on with an M nib; the two 'gold' cap bands have worn away. Last month I bought a B/stub nib in Red. The red one uses a Pilot Con 50 and the Black one bought in the UK uses an International converter.

I have now swapped the nibs over so that the new red one has the M nib, as I use this more than the stub nib

• 5 months later...

I have a teal B nib that I use in work. It tolerates cheap paper and the screw cap means I can throw it in my pocket. It looks almost decent in meetings and when our printer breaks I can write urgent letters

A Chinese clone of these was brought to my attention the other day. Obviously not much point going for a clone of the usual range, but I do like the idea of a steel & chrome trim demonstrator, and ordered one!

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

My version of Pilot 78g :)

http://i.imgur.com/MLYzdb4.jpg

A Pilot 78g in an ebonite fountain pen eyedropper body, it became my daily writer :cloud9:

A Chinese clone of these was brought to my attention the other day. Obviously not much point going for a clone of the usual range, but I do like the idea of a steel & chrome trim demonstrator, and ordered one!

Do let me know how it is. I was curious about that pen's performance. The Wing Sung 659, right?

Velvet - I am guessing that someone made the ebonite body to fit the 78G's nib and feed. The grip doesn't look like the normal 78G gripping section. Am I right?

round-letter-exc.png

Bounce , I did it myself. I just pulled out the nib of my pilot 79g and set it on my eyedropper. I have heat setted the nib with feed and I feel like I have a very expenseive pen.

• 2 weeks later...

I"ve got a black 78G with a medium nib. It's very durable, and it never leaks even though I don't treat it very gently. It's also a great writer. Mine wrote really dry when I first got it, but a little shimming of the nib to open the tines a little took care of that. Now it writes nice and wet. The nib is also very smooth. I've got a CON50 converter in mine. I wish it could take the CON70.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet, 1.5.167-168

Currently have a black with a medium nib inked. Also have a green B and a red BB. Right now, the inked 78g is sitting next to a Pilot Custom "original" (FK-700R-B-F), which is almost exactly the same size, and has a little gold nib...

"I am a dancer who walks for a living" Michael Erard

"Reality then, may be an illusion, but the illusion itself is real." Niklas Luhmann

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know that I'm a 78G lover. I have a few of them, however.

Medium nibs

• Green 2
  • Red 2
  • Black 1

B nib

• Black 1

BB nib

• Black 1

Both the B and the BB nibs are untipped. I was surprised that I could actually write a bit with the B nib. It wasn't a good writing experience. The BB nib must be for calligraphy or making small signs or something.

After having used a Platignum "Silverline" fountain pen every day for quite a few years I have pretty much had enough experience in writing a lot with italic nibs. I really prefer tipping material at the end of a nib.

The Pilot 78G medium nibs are actually fine nibs, to my way of thinking. I prefer real medium nibs and even broad nibs. So when I got my first 78G I was not pleased about the fine line. I have mellowed a bit on that score in my old age, and I have been testing a Pilot Kakuno and a Pilot Metropolitan lately. I am liking the Metropolitan so far, and I can see why Pilot would decide to replace the 78G with it.

I have always considered that the Pilot 78G fountain pen was over priced. I got the B and BB pens used and as a part of two separate, several pen deals, so they were acquired without my spending too much on them. The medium 78Gs I got for various prices, the most recent one was last year and I paid $10 for it, which I did consider to be too much, but I wanted a black medium one. I was on a black fountain pen kick late last year. I have seen them going for $15, which I wouldn't pay, and then there's a guy selling the 78G for $25 which I consider absolutely crazy pricing :wacko: .

Now I'm hearing about a Chinese version of the 78G and I'm hearing that it's going for the same or nearly the same price as the traditional version of the pen and I have to wonder why people would buy such a pen at such a price.

All that being said, I have my five medium, fine, nibbed Pilot 78Gs and I will possibly be finding a specific use for them in the fairly near future.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

They are cheap and practical and come in 3 that I know off, nice colors. I had a BB which skipped and wrote broad enought to practice calligraphy, which I have been doing for a while with medium success. The problem with the BB was its dryness and skipping, even after using a brass thingy yo open the tines.

The green 78B B I have is a delight to write with and take notes while I also practice the Italic hand. I have it inked with Diamine Claret to make notes stand out. My Italic hand looks good with this pen/nib. They don't have tipping, but this one at least is smooth.

Now the black F, that is a very fine nib which I like to use to practice my own kind of Spencerian ;-) and do some sketching in my senior-type retirement neurons-exciting activity.

I did not like them at first when I bought them; I did not know anything about stubs or differences about nib styles. With time, the BB was damaged by my newbie's experiemnts and twicking, but I find it was a learning experience rather than a loss. For me B and F are great pens to experiment and taking out in your purse or back pocket. Inexpensive if you look around and I would agree, somewhat overpriced when you can get a Metropolitan that has smoother nibs and is better good looking.