How Can Anyone Like The Pilot Metropolitan!

RyanM

Robby the Robot says: I am analyzing.....{15 seconds pass}.....

User Error..User Error.....That plastic one must be them limited

editions ones.......................................................................................

Fred

Meanwhile Altarira is busy makin' buttered wheat.....

Put your wheat into a sauce-pan, when it is hot, flir in a good Piece

of Butter, a little grated Nutmeg and fweeten to your Palate.

Commander let's now go for a swim.................................................

Redactin':

How Can Anyone Like The Pilot Metropolitan!

I like 'em a lot...and have given away...many....without incident.....

Kept one for meself....never had any problemo...whatsoever......

Your friend and mine...Again...Fred

{freakinhappysmileyfacetimethingie}

Edited by Freddy

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonSzanto

• Sailor Kenshin

• Bookman

• jordanjay29

A side note: Has anyone else noticed how it always the unrealistically negative claims about pens and inks which get questioned, while unrealistically positive claims are not only tolerated, they almost seem to be encouraged on FPN? Just my observations....

Definitely agree. There's a real imbalance regarding reaction to criticism v positive praise. It's like critique can't be tolerated somehow & heaven forbid that someone should say bad things! Lawks above! :-)

Hence I always have a large pinch of salt on standby for pen, ink or paper reviews.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Mine is metal - it does post nicely, but apart from that it is one of the most irritating pens I own (it is in my gift box now - hope someone will take it home soon); the grip is awful and despite it being well made it just feels cheap - weird, I know...

You're not the only one, a number of people find that abrupt step between barrel and section to be uncomfortable to hold. I don't like mine. I think it's well made, though, and probably okay for people with not terribly big hands who hold the pen with their fingers closer to the nib than I do. I'm questioning whether the O.P.'s pen is a genuine Metro.

Yes, that "step" can be a bother, especially to people other than me. Remember the Pilot Knight's? The Metropolitan's doesn't seem so bad by comparison. What made the Knight's "step" worse was that the grip was so short it was useless. Even someone with smallish hands had no choice but to grip the barrel. The Metropolitan's longer grip allows me to use it if I choose. Or I can grip the barrel at the allegedly decorative band and not rub away the matte paint job.

fpn_1429215411__knight-v-metro-compariso

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

I'll chime in as well, since my first fountain pen ever was a gift of a silver Pilot Metropolitan.

1. It's definitely entirely made of metal.

2. It most definitely posts. That pic above from JonSzanto could have been a pic I took of my pen.

3. Mine has a medium nib and a wonderfully smooth one (though I admittedly had nothing to compare it to, originally)

4. When I got mine, I knew nothing about flushing a pen first. I just snapped in the included cartridge of Pilot black ink and started writing. It was beautiful and never had any troubles from day one! (other inks have since taught me that not all inks are made equally)

Also, regarding critical comments not being welcome, I think it's not that criticism isn't welcome, but there's a difference between being critical and being a jerk about it. Just because you don't like a pen doesn't mean that someone else hasn't fallen in love with it. And if someone else were to be snarky and rude and downright abusive about a pen you were in love with, how would *you* react?

Constructive criticism is constructive by definition. It builds up, it doesn't tear down. Everyone just needs to remember Wheaton's Law.

Constructive criticism is constructive by definition. It builds up, it doesn't tear down. Everyone just needs to remember Wheaton's Law.

Linkdeath..always thought it was Alfonse D'Amato's Law:......after he called

Chuck a peeyouteezee Head..and claimed he did not know what it meant.....

Wheat's can work in a pinch..too................................................................

Fred

chow time

Just one person complaining in such bad mood and many lovers of the pen all around the world? I think he bought something else! the Metro is metallic, it posts very well, it is simple, works out of the box, and costs ~$20? My pen! The only thing I did not like was the Medium nib, because I like fine nibs, contrary to the OP. I bought mine before they sold with the fine nib and I solved it by using a Penmanship nib on the Metro. It is the most reliable pen I have and is black and looks good on any occasion. Short tempered for a pen person. I have gotten lemons I paid very little for but I never treat them badly. I try to look for a solution and only in the worst of cases I throw them in the can. They deserve some respect.

Edited by Oldtimer

Did you buy a Pilot 78g instead of a Metro by any chance?

Mmmmayyyybeeeeee? 78G is still a great little pen for the money, though. It posts fine. Some of them write a little dry, but not all.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I have a Metropolitan. I like it. Do I like it as well as any of my vintage pens? No. Did I pay less for it than my vintage pens? Actually, in some cases, no (the first Parker 45, and most of my Esterbrooks were, in fact, cheaper). Do I find the squeeze filler a little annoying at times? Well, yes. I don't think it fills as well as on my 51s. Or, for that matter, on the aforementioned 45. But I like the pen nonetheless, and the step down to the section doesn't bother me (a fact I found pretty surprising when I realized that there *was* a step); I have smallish hands though, so someone with larger hands might have a problem with it.

Yes, it's metal; yes, it posts; and yes, I do post the cap (but then, I post pretty much every pen I own (except for two or three that just *won't* :angry:).

I will note that when I bought my Metropolitan, I tried both an F nib and an M, and vastly preferred the M, because I thought the F was a bit scratchy.

But if the OP doesn't like Metropolitans, he/she doesn't like them. Heck, some people don't like the look of hooded nibs. Or lever fill pens. Or *anything* that has the name "Noodler's" attached to it. Or the color blue....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

But if the OP doesn't like Metropolitans, he/she doesn't like them. Heck, some people don't like the look of hooded nibs. Or lever fill pens. Or *anything* that has the name "Noodler's" attached to it. Or the color blue....

Haha. Yes. Not all pens are loved by everyone. And sorry for sounding like a winger. I probably bought a knock off.

Haha. Yes. Not all pens are loved by everyone. And sorry for sounding like a winger. I probably bought a knock off.

Post some pictures, it'd be a good PSA.

I myself do not like the Metropolitan, as I can't stand section steps. But it is by all accounts a pretty solid pen, and a great entry level pen and gateway drug into this fine mess we partake in. It is also by all accounts made of metal, not plastic.

Furthermore, despite all the varied pens I now own, I always have a black, B-nibbed 78G filled with Tsuki-yo at hand. To me, it's a match made in heaven.

RyanM, can you post a pic of your Metro?

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

I'll chime in as well, since my first fountain pen ever was a gift of a silver Pilot Metropolitan.

1. It's definitely entirely made of metal.

2. It most definitely posts. That pic above from JonSzanto could have been a pic I took of my pen.

3. Mine has a medium nib and a wonderfully smooth one (though I admittedly had nothing to compare it to, originally)

4. When I got mine, I knew nothing about flushing a pen first. I just snapped in the included cartridge of Pilot black ink and started writing. It was beautiful and never had any troubles from day one! (other inks have since taught me that not all inks are made equally)

Also, regarding critical comments not being welcome, I think it's not that criticism isn't welcome, but there's a difference between being critical and being a jerk about it. Just because you don't like a pen doesn't mean that someone else hasn't fallen in love with it. And if someone else were to be snarky and rude and downright abusive about a pen you were in love with, how would *you* react?

+1

The Pilot Metropolitan was the first pen I bought after renewing my interest in FP handwriting. I am emotionally attached to this pen for a number of reasons and it honestly tore at my heart somewhat when I saw the headline for this thread. At that time, I didn't know anything about pens other than the Scheaffer school pens I had in grade school. When I bought the Metro, I was so naive I didn't even know it should be cleaned before you use it, I was so excited to have a new FP...I just loaded in the cartridge it came with and it performed like a dream for me. And it was so inexpensive! I wasn't one to buy a Montblanc first thing out of the shoot...I didn't know then that I would become a pen fanatic. The Metropolitan is the pen that got me started! It brought me to the FPN because I wanted to find out about inks and cartridges and converters and paper and everything else under the fountain pen sun. Then because of FPN I took up Spenserian Script. I do all my new purchase research from the pen reviews on this site. I bought a few lovely vintage pens and I ordered a very special caligraphy pen (Parson's Essential) from Mr. Pen in London. I now have Pen Pals and at 63 years old...I'm have an absolute ball! Yes, the Pilot Metro is a cheap pen...but I love it because it sparked a new avenue in my life.

BTW, my Metropolitan still works great, but it has a solid metal body (very nicley balanced when posted) and a plastic cartridge and nib holder. (It does have a step at the bottom, which I know doesn't work for some, but it works fine in my small hands). Unless Pilot has come out with a new model...I am not sure the pen you hate so much is even a Pilot Metropolitan.

Edited by httpmom

"You mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.” "Forever optimistic with a theme and purpose." "My other pen is oblique and dippy."

As many others have said, let's see a picture, please.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

content_c9-Photo-Courtesy-of-BornRich.-L

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I have a couple of Metros – a F and an M.

Love the nibs, am somewhat on the fence about the steps (I find it less uncomfortable than the clip on the otherwise perfect VP), hate the CON-30 – almost entirely because you can never tell how much ink is in it, although I don't love the less than robust feel of the bladder.

But overall value for money, the quality for the price is pretty hard to beat.

content_c9-Photo-Courtesy-of-BornRich.-L

I can see how you were fooled, and I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure this isn't a Metro, because that doesn't look like a Pilot nib to me.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

I can see how you were fooled, and I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure this isn't a Metro, because that doesn't look like a Pilot nib to me.

A n00b and his $$ are easily parted. Gee, I hope I can return it... ;)

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

A n00b and his $$ are easily parted. Gee, I hope I can return it... ;)

This pen reminds me a bit of that Chinese "snake" pen that isellpens was carrying. I actually know someone who bought one. The thing is huge (I'm betting easily a full inch in diameter), and heavy as all get out. I asked him what on *earth* possessed him to buy the monstrosity, and he said "Umm, seemed like a good idea at the time...."

[Man, I miss the old "blink" .gif from before we migrated over to the new server....]

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

As many others have said, let's see a picture, please.

Don't hold your breath..............sigh of relief.............

someone once said.....know what your buyin' before buyin'......{that smiley face thingy}

Ryan should mosey on over to "The Pen Shoppe"...and git an education first hand....

Rotatin Studio cap....Visconti double reservoir power filler v c/c filler.....

Pens that came with a fault.......I brought this and honestly I really don't like them.....

Man, when I was a freakin' student....I did Not have the time to lollygag Along......

Fred