It's time for a new pen! I'm looking for a pen in ~$200 price range.

I'm quite fascinated by the Pelikan Souveran line, Pilot Custom Heritage Line, Omas pens, and the Sailor PG/1911 line, but I'm not sure as to what pen would be the best. However, I'm certainly not limiting myself to just these brands; I'm open to any new ideas too.

I'm looking for a nib that, while not labeled as semiflex, will give a little. A nice, springy nib.

If any of you have experience with pens in this range, any advice would be greatly

Thanks,

CJ

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PS104

• dspeers58

• Baalberithim

• lionheartlee

In my research, the only thing in those brands listed considered springy would be the the Pelikan M1000, which is way above budget. I have a custom 823 and would not call that springy by any means. It will flex if I apply pressure but it does not seem like it is suppose to be doing that regularly. I have a specialty nib on my Sailor so I can't quite comment on that. However, based on what I have read, I don't think it would be considered "springy". Best of luck on your search!

On your list, the pen with the softest "feel" (although not springy) is the Sailor PG/1911 line. Sailor still makes their own nibs and does a good job differentiating their nibs from other manufacturers with a soft touch as the nib glides along the paper. They are a very good choice.

Buzz

I doubt you will touch a Souveran for 200USD unless you buy used. Omas will cost at least double that new. The cheapest I have seen Sailor 1911's is 248USD, try buying from Japan. You may find a Pilot Custom Heritage new for a little more than 200USD but the nibs are not what I'd call springy. Sorry, 200USD doesn't get you much for what you are asking. That said, the springiest nib I own is on a Graf von Faber-Castell Intuition with18K gold nib. The best price I have encountered is 364USD out of England.

Edited by FountainPages

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

Which fountain pen(s) do you currently own and use, CJ ?

Which is your favorite ? What do you like about it ? Which of these features

do you want in your new $200 pen ? Which would you leave out ?

Some of the pens you mentioned are in the $500 range. However, there are

quite a few very good ones to your budget. Let's find one that fits.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Why not say that you want a new $200 pen and you would like some help deciding in the title rather then an ambiguous title such as "new pen"?

Whew! Pretty acerbic. Take the hair out of your.....and try again

There a bunch of nice Pilots and Platinums that you can buy that have soft nibs. (springy) Custom 74s, especially ordered from Japan, often come with soft nibs, as do Pilots and average about $100+. If you order them from dealers in the US, you will find that they are more expensive. BTW, I have a fine Custom 823, and the nib is not springy, but it does offer a small amount of line variation

Here is a dealer pisuke2005, who is a very good dealer, at least in my experience and according to others...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/pisuke2005/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Check him out....when I did the search, he had a Platinum 3776 Blue Chartes, with a soft-fine for about $98 shipped. The Pilot Custom 74s tend to be softer nibs, at least in my experience and a bit wider line than the platinum. I have a Platinum 3776 with a soft fine nib and it is very fine.

The cheapest I have seen Sailor 1911's is 248USD, try buying from Japan.

You could buy a 1911 off the sales floor of a couple stores in NYC and not pay more than $180 after tax. From Japan, a 1911 runs about $120 for the basic models including shipping. The only way it's going to cost $250 new is if you're getting a special nib or a larger model like the Realo or the special Black Lustre model.

I'd suggest you buy a Pilot Custom Heritage 91. I have a Pilot CH 91 with SFM nib. It has a rhodium-plated gold nib. I like it a lot as the nib is pretty springy and nice to use. Also, it takes the con-70 converter which holds a lot of ink. The price is less than $100. I think you'll find it a great pen.

I would save up another $100 and get a custom pen from Renee at Scriptorium Pens. Tell her what you want in a nib and I am sure she will accommodate you.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act but a habit. -- Aristotle