A Matador Click 120 Is Out Of Warranty ...

Dickkooty2

… the papers indicate it was bought 20 December, 1936. Missed by that much!

The nib is a 14K F and writes smoothly when dipped. The piston takes ink. The problem is the ink doesn't move down the nib to write in the non-dip mode. The pen is a great example of the time with packaging and papers. Still, I would like to be able to scrawl a line or two ...

Any thoughts? My tools are a Swiss Army Knife with corkscrew and thumb-forefinger opposition.

That Dick in Hood River

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dickkooty2

• DonTopaz

• tmenyc

• mhguda

Here's one: floss. You'd need a thin brass sheet to pass between the tines. Alternatively, a Schick razor blade may serve, but people frown on that (it usually works for me though, if applied carefully). Try lifting the nib a tiny ways from the feed. But before you do all that, add a drop or two of dishwashing detergent to a glass of water, fill your pen reservoir with that a few times, and so flush out any residue that may be inhibiting the ink flow. Rinse out with water a few times, then fill with ink again. If you still have no flow, try the above suggestions...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Could use an ax as well as that knife....even razors or extracto knives are thought to be real, real thick. The brass shim or your old spark plug adjuster's narrowest blades would do for a shim.

Soak for day in a glass of water.

If it sucks up ink, should lay a line.

Is the nib loose?

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thank you both for your great remedies! Matador is now clicking away in the Plaza del Toros!

Here is a shot courtesy of Flavini4, (a very good source) from whom I obtained the pen and a suit of lights on ebay:

http://s271.photobucket.com/user/dick168/media/_57_zpsjebwun6y.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

That Dick in Hood River

Good to know you got your pen working! thanks for sharing.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I wanted that pen for a while ever since I read about it in Lambrou's book)...the list grows long...sigh.

Good for you! :thumbup:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/289202-give-me-an-m/

Hey, Bo Bo,

I know it anyone knows anything, it is you!

Do you have thoughts for me on a list of 15 - 20 German ≠50's-60s brands that illustrate the point of design continuity and pervasiveness?

That Dick in Hood River

• 5 months later...

now this is definitely interesting!

According to http://www.fountainpen.it/Matador/en which seems to be held in high regards among fp connoisseurs the matador click was introduced in '49. I myself was always under the impression that it was introduced in '46 as swedish fp expert and restorer Björn Arebom told me when I went to his shop with a newly found click (not 100% sure about this though, wouldn't want to drag his name through the dirt on account of my failing memory) and here you say you have written proof of this beautiful pen bought as early as 1936!

I can't wait to see how this turns out

• 2 weeks later...

up!

Surely some of the old experts on this site can shed some light upon this matter

Ola, Don Topaz,

I am certainly no expert but I did start this post mostly because I thought the "out of warranty" lede was funny. I'll take a closer look at the papers that came with the packaging next week when I am finally at home again.

Hasta entonces, Don Topaz !

Ricardo

I'm also curious, having read in several places that the click mechanism was a 1949-50 invention by Matador.

I don't have Lambrou in my office (probably should consider it...), but that wonderful encyclopedic site http://fountainpen.it/Matador/en has this:

"In 1949 it produced what is probably the first sealing snap cap, with the model called Matador-Click, by the sound that characterized the proper closure of the cap."

Nice pen, by the way! Pictures of my Click 020 are in the current Matador topic started by Christof.

Tim

Edited by tmenyc

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

According to http://www.fountainpen.it/Matador/en which seems to be held in high regards among fp connoisseurs the matador click was introduced in '49. I myself was always under the impression that it was introduced in '46 as swedish fp expert and restorer Björn Arebom told me when I went to his shop with a newly found click (not 100% sure about this though, wouldn't want to drag his name through the dirt on account of my failing memory) and here you say you have written proof of this beautiful pen bought as early as 1936!

That's very interesting, the date on the page is taken from Lambrou book, I don't have a direct evidence, and that indication is as a probability, so don't take it as strong reference, it's perfectly possible an earlier date.

Now I try to put source for all information on dates in footnotes o in the chronology pages, but that one is one of oldest, when I began writing, and then I wasn't too much careful. Anyway I'll correct the page putting a reference to this discussion.

And I'm also hoping to see the papers, and have a solid evidence for a date.

Regards

Simone

Fountain Pen Wiki - www.FountainPen.it

Fountain pen Chronology (need help to improve...)

Old advertisement (needing new ones to enlarge the gallery...)

First, DonTopaz, my apologies for missing your post above mine...I thought I had read all the way down, but clearly had not.

Second, it is so rare that an author publicly notes the frailty of a source, so I applaud you, Simone...keep up the great work!

best,

Tim

Tim

• 1 month later...

Put that iron down, Wyatt Topaz ... no shoot-out at the corral today, OK?

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/dick168/Scan%2027_zpsnzm9ggc6.jpeg

Here is what I have. A box that may or may not have been the proper packaging for the Matador Click. A guarantee dated December 1936 for a Matador Weihnachtsgeschenk, with a description of the pen that needs an expert's eye.

I would assume the acknowledged sources are correct in the intro date of the Matador Click. What I have is the Click pen purchased on ebay plus some rather scattered ephemera that came along with it.

Even without the Garantie Schein, I assume the Click is out of warranty

It appears that we're back to post WWII for the Click...this does not identify this pen or a Click model on the Garantie, and the language of the Garantie does not refer to a Click or any pen in particular. It is Matador boilerplate. Was 89 a Matador model number? Not for a Click, to my limited knowledge. Thanks for acknowledging that the box and Garantie came with the pen but were not necessarily for that pen. I don't know that I've ever seen a pre WWII pen that looks like a Click.

Tim

Edited by tmenyc

Tim