Show Me Your Swan Eyedroppers!

Sorry to admit that I am trying to split off the end of my last topic and make it a new topic of its own.

Here are my three Swan ED fillers. They all have over and underfeed.

The Gold and the clipped model are Mabie, Todd & Bard New York

The Chatelaine is Mabie, Todd & Co New York

fpn_1428978782__img_1523.jpg

fpn_1428978801__img_1525.jpg

fpn_1428978817__img_1526.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greenie

• Cob

• Cepasaccus

• Azuniga

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fascinating mechanism for the cap to say on the Chatelaine. The metal stud on the section slides into a slot inside the cap. The cap band is rotated, locking the metal stud into the cap.

(Sorry for the blurry pictures. Can't get the auto focus right when shooting down a hole!)

Keep an eye on the position of the notch in the gold of the cap lip as it rotates relative to the slot.

fpn_1428980238__img_1528.jpg

fpn_1428980249__img_1529.jpgfpn_1428980257__img_1530.jpg

Wish I saw these more while antiquing, I'm a sucker for that shape in a pen (like sheaffer targas etc) and would be conned into buying one even if I thought it was a bit to much over my budget :P

It would be nice to be able to afford, or even have the opportunity for such beautiful pens, but perhaps that is another life. This is what I have (with apologies for my atrocious handwriting and photography non-skills):

fpn_1429003804__swan100.jpg

I actually feel a bit embarrassed to show it alongside the illustrious grouping in the OP. <hangs head in shame>

I don't know! I'm always in trouble...!!

And why the embarrassment? No-one should ever be embarrassed about a Swan - unless of course they have geezered it!

C.

Edited by Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

OK David, how about this eyedropper then:

fpn_1429010912__unknown_make.jpg

PM me for more information.

Rgds

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Fascinating mechanism for the cap to say on the Chatelaine. The metal stud on the section slides into a slot inside the cap. The cap band is rotated, locking the metal stud into the cap.

(Sorry for the blurry pictures. Can't get the auto focus right when shooting down a hole!)

Keep an eye on the position of the notch in the gold of the cap lip as it rotates relative to the slot.

fpn_1428980238__img_1528.jpg

fpn_1428980249__img_1529.jpgfpn_1428980257__img_1530.jpg

A secure fastening mechanism would have been essential if the idea of the Chatelaine pen was to dangle by the cap from the owner's waist:

http://i.imgur.com/eG5O4VQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/utQ9Ep9.jpg

What the Dickens is that?

A nice old eye-dropper that's what; no name, almost certainly English. I think that the decorative metalwork is gold as there is no brassing or deterioration of any kind. It is fitted with an English 14ct Fowler nib on a Croxley feed, and works very nicely.

Cob

I did not even think if it was worth to photograph them, but Swan eyedroppers deserve to accompany those of others....

post-49236-0-73751300-1429218047_thumb.jpg

Azuniga,

Do you chalk your own imprints? Wondering how to do it and if it is also easy to remove later. The white Swan looks so good that way. Also interesting to see how the Swan changes over time.

EDIT:

I should have just read a little first!

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/270824-what-was-used-in-the-imprints-to-give-it-that-white-look/

Edited by Greenie

Azuniga,

Do you chalk your own imprints? Wondering how to do it and if it is also easy to remove later. The white Swan looks so good that way. Also interesting to see how the Swan changes over time.

EDIT:

I should have just read a little first!

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/270824-what-was-used-in-the-imprints-to-give-it-that-white-look/

Now that you read that link you know more about it...

I use Staedtler Glasochrom or Stabilo white... It is easy to clean if you do not want to keep it.... In fact while writing with the pen (I use them all) the white goes... I have seen others using Stabilo gold but it does not look the same....

regards

These are my Mabie Todd Swan EDs on left.

Your Swan leverless on the right are great !

I have been looking for the red for longtime, I have the Black-bronze and the Blue bronze... great pens !!!

These are my Mabie Todd Swan EDs on left.

Wonderful Elfin, gorgeous Mabie Todds.

I presume that the red one is the 62 material; is the pen numbered? L205/62?

Rgds

Cob

I also am envious of the red one. Always beautiful and always expensive!

Azuniga - perfect information. I want something that comes off very very easily. Which comes off most easily?

Cob -

What do you know about the straight slip cap transition to the slip on cone cap? And then to the screw cap eyedropper? I have a feeling you will know. :)

Yes Cob the red is L205/62, the black/bronze/ivory is L205/47 and the blue/bronze is SM2/57.

I've had these 3 for sometime and never realised they had numbers on the butt.

I had also forgotten the blue/bronze looks like a mouse has nibbled it round the base

Yes Cob the red is L205/62, the black/bronze/ivory is L205/47 and the blue/bronze is SM2/57.

I've had these 3 for sometime and never realised they had numbers on the butt.

I had also forgotten the blue/bronze looks like a mouse has nibbled it round the base

Thanks for that, Elfin. I was only saying to someone the other day I would like a 62 - adding that I had never even seen a picture of one!

Best wishes

Cob

Cob -

What do you know about the straight slip cap transition to the slip on cone cap? And then to the screw cap eyedropper? I have a feeling you will know. :)

Greenie, you flatter me! I don't know is the answer - in fact I cannot recall seeing any reference to an Onoto eyedropper with a screw cap!

Rgds

Cob

Edited by Cob

Thanks for that, Elfin. I was only saying to someone the other day I would like a 62 - adding that I had never even seen a picture of one!

Best wishes

Cob

Well here is a picture of a 62..., 245 and no 205. I bought it years ago because I could not resist it, unfortunately it was not complete and i keep looking for the missing parts

post-49236-0-24618200-1429281209_thumb.jpg

post-49236-0-55108500-1429281217_thumb.jpg

post-49236-0-95334600-1429281224_thumb.jpg

Edited by Azuniga

I also am envious of the red one. Always beautiful and always expensive!

Azuniga - perfect information. I want something that comes off very very easily. Which comes off most easily?

Honestly with Swan Eyedroppers all of them come off very easily in my experience...