Good Quality Fountain Pen Friendly Paper - India

rkpai

I found most copy paper to be good, though I prefer the executive bond and JK Cedar. I have had good experience with 80gsm Matrix notepads but not able to find them easily. I got Oddy brand notepads from amazon, they were pretty good but do not have a premium feel.

My most recent discovery is a brand called Fabriano on amazon (but they do sell on flipkart and ebay as well). I ordered their 85gsm ecological notepad, which just did not like FP, it bleeds like crazy. Its so bad that on medium nibs the ink bleeds into the following page.

Just on a whim I ordered their traccia notepad which was 60gsm. Strangely it was the best FP paper I have used(after Rhodia). No bleeding, no showthrough, though being a thin paper very dark inks will ghost. The paper feels premium, to me it feels some kind of coated paper. I wouldn't call it expensive either.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smruthib

• rkpai

• Yohaanrods

• HartGummi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am always in search of fountain pen friendly paper which cost less and at last i found one. SPB Index Plus Copier 65GSM which cost me only Rs.140 for 500 sheets(Bundle) and surprised me with its quality. When i test this paper with many inks and pens, all behaved very well. The inks on this paper looked very bright and even better than some highly priced papers which costs 2 to 4 times costlier. The only small drawback is due to this is only 65GSM paper, it may ghost some dark color ink but I'm yet to face this problem. Overall i think this is the cheapest paper which is fountain pen friendly one can find.

• 2 years later...

Another paper you could look at would be the paper that comes with the Endless Recorder Notebook. It is available on ThePenWorld for not a lot of money. They say it's the world's most fountain pen friendly paper.

On a cheaper note, classmate's regular notebooks also work well with fountain pens.

Another paper you could look at would be the paper that comes with the Endless Recorder Notebook. It is available on ThePenWorld for not a lot of money. They say it's the world's most fountain pen friendly paper.

On a cheaper note, classmate's regular notebooks also work well with fountain pens.

Thanks, AFAIK the Endless Recorder uses Tomoe River paper. I will check it out. Will classmate notebooks show sheening?

I know this is an old thread, but I have some shade/sheening inks that I would like to try out. Any update to the list of ink resistant paper which can display the ink to its full extent. Would prefer notebooks over loose sheets like JK Cedar if possible.

You can also try Kokuyo Camlin notebooks. Used them with Camlin, Parker and Krishna Inks with no bleeding or feathering.

Thanks, AFAIK the Endless Recorder uses Tomoe River paper. I will check it out. Will classmate notebooks show sheening?

Classmates does show sheening quite well, but I can't say the same for shimmering inks. I find that if you're not using anything bigger than a broad, it works amazing. If you get 1.1 mm stubs or flex nibs, it tends to feather. But I'd recommend using nothing bigger than an european medium nib. I have used my Krishna Moonview ink on classmate notebooks with a Lamy Vista with a medium nib, and it works well. Edited by RudraDev

Classmates does show sheening quite well, but I can't say the same for shimmering inks. I find that if you're not using anything bigger than a broad, it works amazing. If you get 1.1 mm stubs or flex nibs, it tends to feather. But I'd recommend using nothing bigger than an european medium nib. I have used my Krishna Moonview ink on classmate notebooks with a Lamy Vista with a medium nib, and it works well.

Actually I use my Click Flex nib pen on a classmate notebook. I've tried multiple inks and it doesn't feather at all. Only slight bleedthrough with some inks (like the Bril Laurel Rose). Shading is also quite good with my Waterman Brown. Fingers crossed my the Krishna inks go through. I got the Jungle Volcano and their limited edition Winnolam.

Has anyone heard of Bangalore based URBAN EDGE notebooks? They're made with 60 gsm paper..they look pretty cool too

I have one 172 page book for which I paid 45 rupees which is a really good price

Quality wise, they're anyday better than classmate and don't feather at all(even stub nibs)

I think for the price and quality, they're outstanding!

Has anyone heard of Bangalore based URBAN EDGE notebooks? They're made with 60 gsm paper..they look pretty cool too

I have one 172 page book for which I paid 45 rupees which is a really good price

Quality wise, they're anyday better than classmate and don't feather at all(even stub nibs)

I think for the price and quality, they're outstanding!

Will a 60 gsm paper cut it for fountain pen use? Where did you buy the notebook from?

Well, the books I guess are made in Bangalore, but since I'm a mangalorean.. I found it at a local stationary shop and gave it a go!

Well in this case the paper definitely makes the cut for fp use! No bleed through nor any feathering took place even with a wet 1 mm broad nib

I'd suggest you get PaperOne 100 GSM and have it spiral bound. Having used both Cedar and PaperOne, i am of the opinion that Cedar absorbs ink a little too readily and this kills the vibrancy of the colour.

PaperOne 100 GSM is nicer and is easily available in Bangalore.

I have used some very saturated Diamine and Noodlers ink on it and there is no feathering, show-through or bleed-through. Also, it is recommended to store the paper in the packaging it came with (so you only take out the number of sheets you need), the packaging provides some protection from moisture..

Hope this helps.

Edited by Rakshit

Will a 60 gsm paper cut it for fountain pen use? Where did you buy the notebook from?

Yes, it is available in Bangalore, I bought these at a stationery store (IIRC - Maruthi Book Center) in Jayanagar 9th block..

https://flic.kr/p/Sw8jYW

https://flic.kr/p/Sw8jL1

I'll use it sometime later this month with Diamine and PR inks and post pictures.

Edited by Rakshit

Pls do share your experience with urban edge rakshit and thanks for the paperone suggestion...must keep that in mind during the next visit to Bangalore

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2019 at 11:58 AM, rkpai said:

I'd suggest you get PaperOne 100 GSM and have it spiral bound. Having used both Cedar and PaperOne, i am of the opinion that Cedar absorbs ink a little too readily and this kills the vibrancy of the colour.

PaperOne 100 GSM is nicer and is easily available in Bangalore.

I have used some very saturated Diamine and Noodlers ink on it and there is no feathering, show-through or bleed-through. Also, it is recommended to store the paper in the packaging it came with (so you only take out the number of sheets you need), the packaging provides some protection from moisture..

Hope this helps.

I concur with the view that jk cedar 100 gsm is too ink absorbent spoiling the fun of the ink drying slow giving that glistening effect.

- paperone 100 gsm comes in a variety of variants. It helps therefore to name the particular one tried.

And thanks for sharing your experience