I've waited some time because I wanted to be sure. I've used them all for hours and hours. I always take care of the them: I clean them well, I use good paper, I use good inks. In exchange, I ask them that they provide me the pleasure of a very satisfactory writing. In this point I am very demanding. If one of my FP disappoints me, it goes straight to the drawer and does not come out for a long time.

I speak about five quite impressive FP: Graf von Faber-Castell Classic, Paker Duofold Mosaic, Pelikan M1005 Silver & Black, Sailor King of Pen and Delta Dolcevita Oversize.

Here are my updated reviews after having used them for a long time:

Graf von Faber-Castell Classic

1. Appearance & Design: 9/10 Harmony, good taste, elegance, simplicity.

2. Construction & Quality: 8/10 Nothing to say. This FP is well done. Every part seems well built, polished, resistant and durable. But I put an 8 because of the plastic piece near the nib.

3. Weight & Dimensions: 6/10 I love big FP and this one is a bit too thin for me. Because of the sterling silver, this FP is not light althoug I don’t feel it very comfortable in my hand.

4. Nib & Performance: 5/10 My pen has a F nib and it writes very well. It does never scratch, It flows on paper very nicely, wet enough. It never fails. So...? Well, this is difficult to say, but in my opinion this nib has no soul. I think it’s too small and it can not transmit the sensations I need to have a good time with the writing experience.

5. Filling System & Maintenance: 6/10 Simple: cartridge or converter. Easy to clean.

6. Cost & Value: 6/10 It is not a cheap FP, but the price might be right. If only it was a little bigger...

7. Conclusion: Final score 5.5/10 As for me the nib is very important, I will put a low score. Maybe it is unfair, I know.

Paker Duofold Mosaic

1. Appearance & Design: 8/10 This model is not ostentatious, but I find it very modern and classic at the same time, always beautiful.

2. Construction & Quality: 6/10 It seems well manufactered and with a simple and durable construction. Nevertheless, it has aged a little too fast, specially the plated clip.

3. Weight & Dimensions: 8/10 It could be bigger, but is very confortable to write hours and hours without being tired.

4. Nib & Performance: 8/10 An extra fine nib, very pleasant to write with. When it was new it was a little scratchy, but it has improved a lot. Now it’s one of my favourite nibs. I am very pleased with the fact that it has improved with use. It’s not always like that with all nibs.

5. Filling System & Maintenance: 7/10 Simple: cartridge or converter.

6. Cost & Value: 7/10 Not a cheap pen, as it’s a limited edition. But it’s worth the money I paid, every euro of it.

7. Conclusion: Final score 8/10 The Parker Duofold Black Mosaic is one of my best pens.

Pelikan M1005 Silver & Black

FP Souveran M1005 is a big one, as I like them. It is well built, solid, perfectly polished. It's really a beauty. The piston works softly. Thew nib is a little flexible. It’s also a singing nib, which I do not like. For me is an unpleasant sensation to notice that the two halves of the nib rub. I’ve tried it, but I don’t enjoy this FP.

1. Appearance & Design: 9/10

2. Construction & Quality: 8/10

3. Weight & Dimensions: 9/10

4. Nib & Performance: 6/10

5. Filling System & Maintenance: 8/10

6. Cost & Value: 7/10

7. Conclusion: Final score 6/10

Sailor King of Pen

1. Appearance, design, construction, quality: 10/10 This big ebonite pen is awesome: all black, perfectly polished, with no trim rings. Only the clip over the blackness. Its design is absolutely clean.

2. Weight & Dimensions: 10/10 I wanted a big pen, and there is no doubt that the KOP is big, with a good diameter. I can use it caped without any problem as it's not too heavy.

3. Nib & Performance: 7/10 When it was new, the nib was wonderful, marvelous, gorgeous, the true heart and spirit of this pen. Now it’s a quite skippy. I’m sure that a good professional could adjust the nib. Perhaps one day I’ll send it to someone for an optimization. It’s a pitty!

4. Filling System & Maintenance: 7/10 Simple: cartridge or converter.

5. Cost & Value: 8/10 Not a cheap one. In fact. it is the more expensive pen I've ever bought. But...

6. Conclusion: Final score 8/10

Delta Dolcevita Oversize

1. Appearance, design, construction, quality: 10/10 Does the perfection exist? Well, my Dolcevita Oversize doesn’t show any fault: it’s solid, well constructed, elegant, with a classical and modern look at the same time. All details are very well integrated; there is not any scratch and it’s perfectly polished, as one can expect, obviously. And I must recognize that the color is awesome.

2. Weight & Dimensions: 10/10 Here I would dare to speak of perfection, if what one searches is a big FP. I have big hands and I love big FP. So this is the one. It has the right size: really thick, with a very reasonable weitht, even full of ink. Uncaped, this FP seems short, compact, but caped it becomes a gorgeus big writing machine!

3. Nib & Performance: 10/10 A real wonder. Sincerely, I believe that I could not expect a better thing: the extrafine nib writes very well and, of course, very fine. The line is the thinest among all my FP. It’s a nib prepared to write hours and hours.

4. Filling System & Maintenance: 10/10 This is one of the main reasons for which I bought this FP: The Dolcevita Oversize can be filled with an eyedropper, so the amount of ink that this pen can hold is huge. I’ve already filled all the body up without any problem.

5. Cost & Value: 10/10 Expensive, yes, but this FP offers me everything I look for: beauty, a right size, a big extrafine good writer nib and a huge ink capacity. And an extra bit of exclusivity...

So... For me, the best flagship is:

1. Delta Dolcevita Oversize 10/10

2. Paker Duofold Mosaic 8/10

3. Sailor King of Pen 8/10

4. Pelikan M1005 Silver & Black 6/10

5. Graf von Faber-Castell Classic 5.5/10

Roger

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rogerico

• Frank C

• Russ

• europen

Wow. I didn't know the Delta was so large and could be filled by eyedropper. I have a little Delta Galassia (Ti) and I like it very much. Maybe another Delta is in the future . . .

very nice comparison. good to know the dolce vita quality is appreciated.

No man is a slave unless he is willing to be bought by another. (EP)

Thanks for the review. I'm surprised the Delta came out on top. They are huge pens! I'm glad that you used them for awhile. So many people get a new pen and post a positive review, without ever putting the pen through its paces.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Thanks for the review. I'm surprised the Delta came out on top. They are huge pens! I'm glad that you used them for awhile. So many people get a new pen and post a positive review, without ever putting the pen through its paces.

I understand that surprise. I have the sensation that Delta is a brand not enough appraised, perhaps because it's a young brand. I've read a lot of opinions about Delta fountain pens and there is often the shadow of a doubt concerning its quality. Well, my experience makes me realize that are few pens so well constructed. The nib is really great.

Roger

I understand that surprise. I have the sensation that Delta is a brand not enough appraised, perhaps because it's a young brand. I've read a lot of opinions about Delta fountain pens and there is often the shadow of a doubt concerning its quality. Well, my experience makes me realize that are few pens so well constructed. The nib is really great.

I have heard many good things about Delta, but have never bought one. In part because I like older pen companies, i.e. Aurora and Montegrappa, and also because I find that orange color too loud. I will have to take another look at Deltas next time I attend a pen show.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Interesting analysis. I have the DV in the original 18K millennium nib. It is a great writer.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

I, too, have the DV OS, but I'm curious about your experience using the pen as an eyedropper filler. Do you notice any staining of the barrel from the ink?

Also, is there an O-ring where your pen's section mates with the barrel? Mine looks like it should have an o-ring, but there is none there. The threads look fine enough to be water (and ink) tight, but that's always another question in my mind.

I, too, have the DV OS, but I'm curious about your experience using the pen as an eyedropper filler. Do you notice any staining of the barrel from the ink?

Also, is there an O-ring where your pen's section mates with the barrel? Mine looks like it should have an o-ring, but there is none there. The threads look fine enough to be water (and ink) tight, but that's always another question in my mind.

My OS Dolcevita has an o-ring though I can't imagine why I'd want to use it as an eyedropper.

My Website

I know that some people fear using the Dolcevita Oversize FP as an eyedropper. I don't know why. I have never had any problem using it like that. In fact, I've never used the converter (which is a screwed converter, very well done). The FP is well constructed and there is an O-ring and a solid and long screw.

So I strongly recommend to fill up this FP with the eyedropper and enjoy it without fears. Here you have a pic of the O-ring.

Edited by rogerico

Roger

• 6 months later...

Like also Delta Dolcevita's very much, at one point I had 4 different versions of them, now I have only 2. The oversize has a nib which is too long for me, similar to the MB 149, so the medium size is more "my size". Awesome writers, awesome pens, especially the demonstrator.