Sailor Bungbox 88 Review

fireant

Hi-This is my first review. I've scanned the document and I hope this works. I really liked this ink. I've always considered myself a jewel toned girl but there is something about the Sailor Greens that seems to call to me.

I tried to write the name of the ink in (is it kanji) but probably failed miserable. I believe the name indicates the wait one experiences at the beginning of spring until the new tea can be harvested-88 days. The number 88 is also a lucky number for many Asians (8s always being a good thing).

Thoughts:

• I did not have a ton of similar greens to compare the ink to, I used Sailor Pen and Messenger Cigar with a dip pen (hello mess) and a fine point. I found the intensity of the color similar to both Diamine's Racing Green and Cigar.
  • The ink behaved beautifully on both the Staples sugarcane (20lb), Tomoe River (cream), and the Crown Mill. I think it looked best with the medium flex nib. crazy shading throughout.
  • water resistance- basically none-I sprinkled drops of water and let it sit for over 10 seconds, then wiped down. Where the drops were large the ink disappeared.
  • I could be totally wrong on lubrication/flow--like I said this is all new to me. The ink didn't fight the pen or paper.
  • There was some bleed through.
  • I really love this color. It reminds me of how green everything in Albuquerque in the spring.

This is a sample of the comparable inks that I have. Please note the photo has a touch more green (just a tiny bit) but I can't seem to correct it.

post-120582-0-29227100-1428686163.jpg

This is a picture of a scanned pdf. Hope this works.

post-120582-0-24536100-1428593037_thumb.jpg

This is the PDF which might be easier to view. Sorry.

Edited by fireant

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fireant

• Barkingpig

• amberleadavis

• Cyber6

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WOW... that IS pretty..... and it looks VERY similar to KWZI Old Gold. I will need to grab a bottle of this next time is on stock and do the comparison.

THANKS for the great review... :D

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Great job!! Welcome aboard!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thank you for this review. I received this ink in my last order from Vanness but have not opened it. This morning when a new (MY FIRST) purple pen came I decided to try instead the (Bung Box) Happiness that came in the same shipment as the Green Tea. I am glad I made this choice as I like the bright green with the purple pen & will save the Green Tea for a couple of other pens that are currently "in use." BUT I look forward to the experience more so after your excellent review.

• 2 weeks later...

Vanness seems to have another shipment of this ink available. It shows as available on their website.

Thanks for letting me know Vanness has more Bungbox inks. There just went $100. :wub:

Vanness seems to have another shipment of this ink available. It shows as available on their website.

THANK YOU! I ordered just now as I was afraid to wait to call them! ANOTHER (I think I will now have four) Bung Box "browns." I just today cleaned Ink of the Witch out of a Black Omas 360 & loaded it up with my first fill of Dandyism. ( I am pretending it is NOT really a BLACK pen by filling it with these cool "not quite black" Bung Box inks! ) It will be hard to improve on Dandyism.

Thanks for letting me know Vanness has more Bungbox inks. There just went $100. :wub:

Lol

I feel your pain. I should be saving pin money to spend during an upcoming trip to California.