• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TXKat

• fountainpagan

• jordanjay29

• Inkysloth

Oh, hey, it came today. I just tried it out and I'm very impressed, I didn't realize just how much my writing was missing something like this. Thank you, Inkysloth!

Edited by jordanjay29

Robin....the desk blotter arrived in one piece and I love it!!

Thank you so much for sharing! (Hubs is jealous I'm getting "International" mail, lol! :P )

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)

The desk blotter you sent me arrived today, as well. Nicely wrapped in brown paper, and handled well by all the organizations between there and here, it has made it safe and sound to a place it will be appreciated. Thank you so much for sharing these!

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

Lou

Which one did you get?

I ordered a black one, figuring I don't know what kind of desk/table it will eventually get used on, black seemed a more neutral choice. But I do remember seeing green ones on my teachers desks at school.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Sent a PM a day or two ago. Thanks for the generous offer.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

Wow, I would love one of those. PM sent.

Mont Blanc Boheme Noir 2006

Noodlers Ahab

Sent you a pm, I hope you have some left and can ship to the U.S. ! Sounds like an awesome pif! Thanks.

why does one need a desk blotter or blotting paper? doesn't the ink dries by itself?

I am surprised no one has answered your question yet.

Yes, the ink does dry and blotters are not as necessary as they were back in the dip pen days. But, if you are using quality paper that works very well with fountain pen ink, it dries much more slowly than the more common papers. For instance, I carry a Midori Traveler's Notebook in my pocket. It has fountain pen friendly paper (does not bleed through or feather even with the wettest broadest nibs). However, some inks take a bit to dry, maybe 10 to 20 seconds on this ink resistant paper. If I close it before the ink dries the ink smears and prints on the opposite page. So, I cut a piece of J. Herbin blotter paper to match the size of the notebook pages and keep it in the notebook in my weekly planner for today's week.

Some inks dry faster than others, some paper absorbs more slowly than others. I have started using Noodler's Heart of Darkness because of that. It is also a fraud resistant, waterproof, etc ink and safe to use on checks. Still, I cut a piece of blotter paper and put it in my checkbook. The paper my checks are made of are very ink resistant and dries slowly, even the Heart of Darkness. Now, before I tear the check out of the book I close it pressing the blotter against the signed check so it won't smear.

I also keep a sheet in my journal so I can close it quickly without worrying about it smearing, though this paper is very absorbent and tends to dry quickly, some inks in some pens are quite wet and take more than 4 or 5 seconds to dry.

More than you wanted to know, I'm sure!

Edited by graystranger

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

I am surprised no one has answered your question yet.

Yes, the ink does dry and blotters are not as necessary as they were back in the dip pen days. But, if you are using quality paper that works very well with fountain pen ink, it dries much more slowly than the more common papers. For instance, I carry a Midori Traveler's Notebook in my pocket. It has fountain pen friendly paper (does not bleed through or feather even with the wettest broadest nibs). However, some inks take a bit to dry, maybe 10 to 20 seconds on this ink resistant paper. If I close it before the ink dries the ink smears and prints on the opposite page. So, I cut a piece of J. Herbin blotter paper to match the size of the notebook pages and keep it in the notebook in my weekly planner for today's week.

Some inks dry faster than others, some paper absorbs more slowly than others. I have started using Noodler's Heart of Darkness because of that. It is also a fraud resistant, waterproof, etc ink and safe to use on checks. Still, I cut a piece of blotter paper and put it in my checkbook. The paper my checks are made of are very ink resistant and dries slowly, even the Heart of Darkness. Now, before I tear the check out of the book I close it pressing the blotter against the signed check so it won't smear.

I also keep a sheet in my journal so I can close it quickly without worrying about it smearing, though this paper is very absorbent and tends to dry quickly, some inks in some pens are quite wet and take more than 4 or 5 seconds to dry.

More than you wanted to know, I'm sure!

You answer half the questions. I did not answer to the first one

"why does one need a desk blotter or blotting paper?"

because my only answer is

They are cool.

I am waiting to receive a couple of desk blotters and, sincerely, I do not believe I will use the blotter part. But

I think they will look nice on my desktops.

Being the fountain of youth that I am, I had to go look it up to figure out what a desk blotter was for. I found this handy explanation for anyone else who is too young to know how to use one of these.

*goes back to eagerly awaiting package*

I really want to hate you for making me feel so dang old... :bawl:

I really want to hate you for making me feel so dang old... :bawl:

Haha! Sadly, there's a lot of stuff that I don't know how to use, or why you'd want to. Luckily, the desk blotter turned out to be something useful.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Just wondered if this generous offer was still available?

Mike

• 4 weeks later...