Asa Porus - Oversized White Beauty (Caved In Version)

mehandiratta

This is the review of custom designed pen PORUS (caved in version) executed by ASA pens. The detailed review of the pen is done here : LINK

img_20150403_1659022.jpg?w=768

ASA Porus (Customized Pen)

There is a brief history about the pen that I am reviewing today. There was always an urge to design and get a customized pen and actually get executed. It all started whenPradeep from Mumbai took initiative to bring all like minded crazy people who just love fountain pen and actually are real serious about them.

One fine day Sulagno (I hope i have spelled his name correctly) asked why cant we do a customized pen and seeing an opportunity i jumped in and gave certain design inputs and offered to do CAD drafting for the same. What came out is a series of design inputs by Me, Sulagno, Rakshit, Pradeep, Anirban Bhattacharya, Burhan (from Singapore) and not to miss out Mr. Subramaniam of ASA Pens, who was the guy who gave certain technical inputs and who in actual executed one more custom pen after the SNIPER.

img_20150403_1700132.jpg?w=768

ASA Porus – Beauty

So here we are with new pristine white pen PORUS (named after Great Indian King- Porus, who was well built and tall).

img_20150403_1548242.jpg?w=768

ASA Porus

DESIGN & BUILT:

There were lot of iterations done for the design of the Pen. Pen had to be over sized, fat pen with long grip section that criteria was clear from the beginning. Three iteration were made, one flat top straight shaped, second stepped design and third the cigar shaped and lot of liking went for the cigar shaped and it was finalized for design.

img_20150403_1558132.jpg?w=768

ASA Porus – Uncapped

It is designed to be clip less pen to give it a minimalist look. This is a no fuss design with no metal parts except the nib. It is a pure beauty when kept on the table. Just so clean, simple and elegant. This is a pristine white pious pen. Sign of peace.

img_20150403_1600422.jpg?w=768

ASA Porus – Photoshoot

Made of out of high quality white acrylic this pen has thick acrylic section and has fantastic built quality. Seems well built. however i will be careful to use it as it is milky white and top of that it is acrylic and has a bit of heft. A fall here or there might give certain crack or damage the pen. So I take precaution while using it for sure.

To add to this unlike other Indian acrylic cheap pens it has no Odor.

img_20150403_1702442.jpg?w=768

ASA Porus – Close up

Overall a well designed and executed pen which is equally well built.

img_20150403_1701382.jpg?w=768

ASA Porus – Aptly named

Now moving to certain details. The pen has rounded cap top and rounded barrel bottom which is quite evident in the pictures.

img_20150403_1645092.jpg?w=768

ASA Porus – Rounded top and bottom

The pen opens in 7 turns which i beleive is bit on higher side. Can certainly be reduced. But that doesn’t take way the credit of amazing built quality of pen.

img_20150403_1644432.jpg?w=768

ASA Porus – Uncapped

Cap has in built inner lining and has breather hole to avoid moist deposits inside the cap. So that nib can breathe. Images below might give clearer picture.

img_20150403_1647352.jpg?w=768

ASA Porus Cap Closeup with breather hole

img_20150403_1646462.jpg?w=768

ASA Porus – Cap inner view

Porus comes in two versions one is flat flushed version and other is caved in flushed version. In both the cases cap is flushed with the barrel

compare.jpg?w=572&h=604

ASA Porus Flat Flushed Version vs ASA Porus Caved in Flushed version along side Gama Supreme (Pic Credits : ASA Pens)

img_20150403_1652472.jpg?w=768

ASA Porus – Caving around meeting point of cap and barrel

img_20150403_1652172.jpg?w=768

ASA Porus – Slightly Opened cap showing 2 mm caving in

The pen is over sized jumbo pen which you can have an idea from few images below.

img_20150403_1609442.jpg?w=768

ASA Porus vs Gama Kuyil vs Pilot Metropolitan vs ASA Rainbow vs Gama Airborne – Shot 1

The detailed review of the same can be found here : LINK

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mehandiratta

• pankaj

• NobleDel

• J_MM

That's a great review!

Waiting to get home and ink up my Porus!! This definitely feels like the first of many more customs designs to come from the house of ASA.

Cheers!!

When I grow up, I want to be a great lawyer. Until then, I practice. - A.Davis

Excellent Review - Elegant pen. Outstanding photography and beautiful handwriting. ASA makes great pens.

That's a great review!

Waiting to get home and ink up my Porus!! This definitely feels like the first of many more customs designs to come from the house of ASA.

Cheers!!

m sure they will find good home in ur big hands

vaibhav mehandiratta

Excellent Review - Elegant pen. Outstanding photography and beautiful handwriting. ASA makes great pens.

Thank you. Really liked the appreciation

vaibhav mehandiratta

It must be an incredible experience to help design a pen, I am truly envious!

It was dream to do that... Now on to second project

vaibhav mehandiratta

Excellent review as always Vaibhav!!

Subbu has executed expertly on the caved version.

I haven't been able to put down my flush version since I got it!!!

Regards

Rakshit

Can you show a technical drawing of the flat top straight shaped iteration?

Can you show a technical drawing of the flat top straight shaped iteration?

will PM you concept

vaibhav mehandiratta

Thank you Mehandiratta, for this thoughtful review. The Porus is a beautiful pen. I just placed an order for one!

Edited by NobleDel

That white angel ! So pretty.

Vaibhav : very nice photography and review. Your handwriting is the best compliment to it.

That white angel ! So pretty.

Vaibhav : very nice photography and review. Your handwriting is the best compliment to it.

Thank you Pankaj....

vaibhav mehandiratta

Very good review for a lovely looking pen. A steel color nib might have looked better IMHO. Lovely pen nevertheless. Enjoy in good health.

Very good review for a lovely looking pen. A steel color nib might have looked better IMHO. Lovely pen nevertheless. Enjoy in good health.

Only availability was 40mm gold colored nib... Chrome finish was not available

vaibhav mehandiratta

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The design does not look good at all. The size of the nib should be proportionate to the size of the body, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

The design does not look good at all. The size of the nib should be proportionate to the size of the body, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

I disagree. Looks are obviously subjective and this is a very minimalist design. The size/ presence of pen makes it impressive. Although I don't own this pen, I do have others with the same nib and I doubt there are much larger production nibs. A larger nib would be uncontrollable and probably have to be custom made so I don't think that aspect of the design could/should be changed. I also think the lines of the pen flow well with the elongated section. This pen is on my wishlist although i wish it was a little bit cheaper. Just my 2 cents.