De Atramentis Brown Ink Help Needed

bstnnyc

Hi everyone I’ve really started to enjoy brown inks over the last couple of months after ordering samples and a few bottles mainly from the great comparisons and reviews that are being posted! :notworthy1:

I am very curious about two De Atramentis brown inks that I haven't been able to find any information on: York Brown and Van Dyck Brown. I was hoping to be able to order samples of them but the Goulets, Andersonpens and isellpens don’t carry either shade. Has anyone tried them yet? If so how do you like them and do you have any writing samples that you could share? Also since DeA sometimes rebottles standard inks as scented or character inks, does anyone know if these have a double that can be ordered in sample form?

Thank you for your help!

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f99/emrys1221/1067_14_zpsobxgujd9.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f99/emrys1221/1068_14_zps64n0f5m7.jpg

Edited by bstnnyc

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bstnnyc

• inkstainedruth

• lapis

• ENewton

Sorry, not familiar with either of these. Did you check on the De Atramentis website? There are a number of inks listed that haven't been picked up by any distributers, AFAIK.

If you go to their website, click on the little British flag icon (that will translate the site into English). Then, when you look at the different categories, and click on a specific ink, that individual page will often (but sadly not always) have a notation in the upper right hand corner saying what the ink color is (for example, Dante Alighieri is supposedly the same as Ruby Red; and there are a several packaged versions of Silver Grey, including scented ones). I haven't actually ordered directly from the website, but have considered getting Albrecht Dürer (yet another Silver Grey relabel) -- just on general principle: I really like the idea of having an ink named for him (he's one of my favorite artists) especially so since the ink looks like a silverpoint drawing line on the page.... :wub:

If that doesn't help, try PM'ing Morbius Curiositas (sp?) who is apparently in regular contact with Dr. Janzen.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for typos and formatting

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hi Ruth, thank you for the good tip! I will message him. They look like they are distinct shades of brown based on the website descriptions, so I emailed De Atramentis through their contact page to see if they have any swatches that they can share of both inks and will update this thread if they do.

PS I actually ordered the Silver Grey after reading one of your posts where you recommended it :) thank you for the recommendation! De Atramentis has a couple inks that have really impressed me so I'm looking forward to continue trying other shades in their lineup.

PPS I feel the same way about some of their character inks! (as long as they are unscented, since some of their scents have been definite migraine triggers for me haha) As an opera nut, I wanted the Puccini, which has been out of stock at the retailers I usually order from, so I got the standard (but beautiful :wub: ) Aubergine instead; if I order the brown directly from them maybe I will add the Puccini too :)

Well, you got me curious, so I took my own advice and looked up York Brown on the De Atramentis website. It's listed as a standard color.... But....

When I clicked on the link for the swatch sheets (2013 edition), it's not listed. The last color on the final page is #1066, Dunkelresedagrün (Dark Reseda Green), but the specific listing for York Brown gives it's ID # as 1067(!). And Van Dyck Brown #1068 is likewise not in the swatches but listed as a "standard" ink (I would have thought for sure it would have been in under "People" and then "Artists").

Additionally, there are other colors listed that don't appear to have been swatched -- so I guess they're more recent than 2013: Pompadour Pink, Java Brown, Bahama Brown, Opal Pink, and Umbra. What these look like is anybody's guess.... :huh:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Well, one other piece of advice that I just thought of -- there's a pinned topic in the Ink Reviews Forum where you can ask if someone can do a review of a specific ink. Dunno if anyone has requested these specific inks be looked into, but the topic is there, right on the first page of the Ink Reviews Forum. Needless to say, these inks do not appear to have been reviewed.... :(

You may get more responses as people filter back on after the holidays.

Thank you both!

I will definitely post in the pinned topics thread if De Atramentis is unable to share any swatches!

I was just about to cave and order the Van Dyck Brown because it looks like the darker of the two based on the color of the label but shipping to the US is 30.5 Euros :yikes: Hopefully someone else has already tried these inks or DeA can shed some light on the colors, so I can at least be sure it's the right shade of brown before putting in an order. I really don't think they should be charging that much if Akkerman can ship 5 60ml bottles from the Netherlands for 20 Euros...

This question is not about the brown in particular, but are De Atramentis inks prone to dry out in the nib and feed if one pauses occasionally--say, for a minute--while writing or taking notes? This was never a problem in the twenty years that I used only Pelikan 4001, but I realize that some of today's more saturated inks dry quickly enough that flow through the pen can stop, not to be easily restarted, in the course of a day. I am tempted by several of the De Atramentis inks, and a seller recommended one as a substitute for a saturated Diamine ink I had tried, but I wonder about other people's experiences.

I use a lot of DA inks and never had any dry-out problems. I also don't find them especially saturated. Nicely so but not too much. The information above is correct but the way I see it, on the DA sites, you're sometimes lucky, sometimes not. E.g. check out http://www.tinten-online.de/. Try both the German and the English flag icons (up top).

Sometimes -- and sometimes not -- doubles are listed. BTW they also have different numbers. e.g. seach Silbergrau. You get 6 possibilities. One is Silbergrau (itself). Click on the picture of the bottle = 1041. Go back one page and click on the Tschaikovsky bottle. Number = 1108 and down below next to "Farbe" (colour) you see "Silbergrau".

NOTE: You can do the same under the English flag with "Silver Grey". The labels on the bottles shown under the English flag are the German labels. also, searches for "york" or "van dyck" show no other "original/double" colours, neither in the German nor in the English site.

Lots o' luck!

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your help! It looks like these two are distinct shades of brown so hopefully DeA will get back to me this week with some additional information about them that I can post here!

All the best,

Bahij

PS Hi ENewton, like Mike I have not had any problems with dryout either in the shades I've tried. I use my pens for note-taking in class, so they are often uncapped for extended periods of time and they have started up immediately with the DeA inks that I've used so far (and I tend to gravitate towards their more saturated shades).

I just phoned Dr. Jansen and he said that -- yes -- both the York and the Van Dyck are single, original ink colours/releases and not doubles of any other inks.

Ahoi!

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

This is exciting news! Thank you for confirming Mike! I still have not received any word from DeA regarding swatches, so I might follow up with them again in a couple of day and see if they respond.

All the best,

Bahij