Creating Feedback In A Nib

Frinck

Hi everyone,

This is my first proper post, so please go easy on me ;)

Personally, I love that feel of feedback in a nib. However, the nibs I've smoothed always end up being too smooth for my taste. Sometimes even buttery smooth. I can't seem to find the balance between scratchy and super-smooth.

I recently bought a Kaweco AL Sport with a Fine nib and this had precisely the level of feedback I like. My goal is to create a similar feel of feedback in my other nibs, but am not sure how to do this.

Can anyone advise on how to create feedback, without making it scratchy please?

Warm regards,

Al.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EBUCKTHORN

• PingleiHe

• TheRealScubaSteve

• Intellidepth

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you currently using? I find 12,000 micromesh to give some feedback I find 12,000 micromesh to leave feedback if I don't do a great job of smoothing. You might consider the next lowest grit, which I believe is 8,000 if that's what you're currently using.

Hello Frink.

I had the same issue in earlier days.

Initially,when I started collecting fountain pens,I like those really smooth nibs,those super super smooth ones,like most people do.

One of my favorite pens at that time was the TWSBI 580.

And then I started liking pens with some feedback. I found Jowo and Pilot pens(In general) to be too smooth for my like.

I even prefer the pilot metropolitan over the capless just because it's more feedbacky.

I tried to use micro-meshes to make some of my nibs feedbacky.

But after a few days, the nib becomes "slippy" again.

Then I realized that the feedback was created by the tipping material.

Some nibs are smoother,some are more feedbacky.It all depends of the material of the tipping.

Whereas the scrachi-ness(Sorry for my english,I don't know how to spell this word) was created by the shape of the tipping.

If a pen is well polished,it should not be scratchy. But It's possible that It's feedbacky.Don't get confused because of that.

I've yet found the way to create feedback,sorry about that.

All I can say is,don't buy Pilot,Jowo(Including TWSBI,Franklin-Christoph,Edison) nibs.

I also like the feedback of a Bock nib(Kaweco nibs are made by Peter Bock AG),and I know a website for buying bock nibs called standbond europa.

If you like feedbacky pens,you can try Shaeffer,Omas,Visconti,Delta,Conway Stweard,Faber-Castell pens which the nibs are made by Bock.

Or you can try Platinum and Sailor pens. I personally prefer Sailor. The hero 100 after about 2-3 weeks of smoothing is pretty nice as well(if you like finer nibs).

Hope this was helpful.

Edited by PingleiHe

What are you currently using? I find 12,000 micromesh to give some feedback I find 12,000 micromesh to leave feedback if I don't do a great job of smoothing. You might consider the next lowest grit, which I believe is 8,000 if that's what you're currently using.

I agree re the 12,000. I know first-hand that 5,000 is far too rough and will be scratchy - I use this for nib grinding then follow it by 12,000, then smoother. (I don't have 8,000.)

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

Could someone please explain the demarcation between feedback and scratchiness? Thanks.

It's a good question, and I don't think there's a standard definition.

For me, "scratchiness" would be like the tip of a straight pin on paper. This is usually due to the inner tine catching because of poor alignment, but also can be a lack of smoothing. "Feedback" is like writing with a pencil (and just like with different pencils, it varies)

Thanks dneal. And what are the downsides of a buttery smooth nib?

Personal preference. Other than that, there are none. ;)

Thanks dneal. And what are the downsides of a buttery smooth nib?

I'd rather use a smooth rollerball than a smooth fountain pen.

For me the point of using a FP is to have feedback on the tipping.It's more controllable for me to have a smooth nib with a bit of feedback.

And also,super smooth nibs can be skippy.