Asa Porus Review

rkpai

Since it is such a white pen, will inks stain the barrel

Its not sticky ..the inner is also polished so ink will not stick. But if an ink is know to stain, then don't use that ink.

Regards

Rakshit

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rkpai

• mehandiratta

• hari317

• vig2432

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Porus desk pen esthetics are frankly not according to my taste, but if you like its esthetics and the employed ink does not have problems with a semi translucent barrel it has a lot to offer. The Porus is according to the published dimensions on the ASA website actually slightly larger than the (for me pocketable daily writer) Gama Supreme. The grip section of the Porus is 13 mm longer, which is very good ergonomic news. Increases in grip section and hence feed length further help to reduce the tendency of burping often observed in large eye dropper pens. Mounting more common 35 mm long nibs in the Porus might not be easy, since the 40 mm long Ambitious nib is seated rather deep in the grip section. Has anybody tried swapping the 40 mm Ambitious nib for a more common 35 mm nib?

The Porus desk pen esthetics are frankly not according to my taste, but if you like its esthetics and the employed ink does not have problems with a semi translucent barrel it has a lot to offer. The Porus is according to the published dimensions on the ASA website actually slightly larger than the (for me pocketable daily writer) Gama Supreme. The grip section of the Porus is 13 mm longer, which is very good ergonomic news. Increases in grip section and hence feed length further help to reduce the tendency of burping often observed in large eye dropper pens. Mounting more common 35 mm long nibs in the Porus might not be easy, since the 40 mm long Ambitious nib is seated rather deep in the grip section. Has anybody tried swapping the 40 mm Ambitious nib for a more common 35 mm nib?

You are right in your observations. It is very ergonomic.

The semi translucent barrel looks a tad darker with ink filled in.

Regards

Rakshit

Love the clipless, seamless version. Thanks for the review. Added to my wishlist.

You'll love the feel of the pen in your hands :)

Regards

Rakshit

Man these pictures are beautiful. Especially love the writing sample. One can see that the pen is slightly darker with ink in that picture. Nice job.

PS: I did face the problem that Hari was alluding to. The tines were separated because the nib was too deep but I did manage to discover it in the shop and hence was able to pick the pen where it did not happen.

Oh, no. Another ASA pen I had to order as soon as I saw it. This one is just plain striking. I hope the real thing does your excellent photography justice.

ron

Oh, no. Another ASA pen I had to order as soon as I saw it. This one is just plain striking. I hope the real thing does your excellent photography justice.

ron

The pictures do not do justice to the pen :) .

Thank you for your kind words.

You will love the feel of this pen in your fingers.

Regards

Rakshit

Man these pictures are beautiful. Especially love the writing sample. One can see that the pen is slightly darker with ink in that picture. Nice job.

PS: I did face the problem that Hari was alluding to. The tines were separated because the nib was too deep but I did manage to discover it in the shop and hence was able to pick the pen where it did not happen.

Thank you :)

"discover it in the shop" - a perk of living in Chennai, you get to meet Subbu. No waiting for shipping :D

Regards

Rakshit

Still waiting for mine. I'll definitely add my inputs.

Rakshit, Sulagno & Vaibhav deserve special credits for this. I'm just happy that I bumped in at the opportune moment to round up the number to 5. :D

And Subramaniamji, I could write phrases, paragraphs, essays, and still fall short :) Take a bow!

Opensuse_2.png http://www.gnu.org/graphics/gnubanner-2.png

Looking for: Camlin pens (minus SD/Trinity/Elegante)

• 3 months later...

What I'd really want is the Porus clipless design in blue swirly acryiic, just like the ASA Rainbow pen stock.

That, with a Schmidt nib unit would beat those Japanese clipless pens for the money, I'm sure.

Edited by rahulg

http://oi44.tinypic.com/30vg3eo.jpg

Follow at @rg1283 and http://bluecabbage.blogspot.com

What I'd really want is the Porus clipless design in blue swirly acryiic, just like the ASA Rainbow pen stock.

That, with a Schmidt nib unit would beat those Japanese clipless pens for the money, I'm sure.

you can request the seller... i am sure he can oblige....

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

• 3 years later...

I am wondering whether the two versions: body flush with cap, slight cave in between body and cap, effects the step up from section to body?

Thank you for any remarks on this,

Regards

Dupontdelamare