Identifying This Montblanc Meisterstuck Ballpoint Pen

jeremyaus10

Hi,

I recently obtained this MB Meisterstuck ballpoint pen. I know this is a FP forum, but maybe someone can help me on Ballpoints!

I have doubts on whether its a genuine MB.. I have attached a few photos.

1. The "pix" is on the band, not under the clip. Under the clip has "made in Germany" - is this common?

2. There is a serial number. IW1666858

3. The bottom part of the pen (under strong light) goes slightly red.

Any help would be great!

Many thanks.

post-115482-0-67469300-1427947756_thumb.jpg

post-115482-0-08139800-1427947793_thumb.jpg

post-115482-0-14366000-1427947840_thumb.jpg

post-115482-0-57961700-1427947893_thumb.jpg

post-115482-0-22494800-1427947926_thumb.jpg

post-115482-0-08678900-1427947954_thumb.jpg

Apparently I'm "not allowed" to buy "anymore pens".... this is why I have a separate bank account from my wife :P

Current pens on rotation: MB 146 (F), Lamy 2000 SS (M & F), Parker Duofold (M) in MB Oyster Grey, MB 146 BP, Lamy Logo BP.

Pens in transit: MB 149 (F)
Pens I think about: MB 149, Lamy 2000, Cross Townsend, MB WE Hemingway, MB SE JFK, Parker Duofold Big Red (centennial).

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeremyaus10

• Chrissy

• Mister Mont Blanc

• EH86055

Looks original, 164 ballpoint pen.

HANDMADE PENS : www.astoriapen.hamburg ; REPAIRSERVICE : www.maxpens.de ; by MONTBLANC recommended repair service for antique pens

Looks original, 164 ballpoint pen.

I'd agree with the previous comment.

Looks authentic.

I have that. I think MB calls the the LeGrande. It's a twist to expose the ballpoint right?

I have that. I think MB calls the the LeGrande. It's a twist to expose the ballpoint right?

Le Grand is the larger 161, this thinner 164 is named Classique. Yes, they're operated by a twist mechanism.

Lamy 2000 FP, PP, BP, MFP & RB. Mont Blanc Meisterstück 161 Le Grand Platinum BP & Heritage 1912 FP.

Google the serial number IW1666858 - not a good result.

You don't know what you need until you realise you haven't got it.

something looks off!! + as Rowbo suggested.

How does the pen weigh is it light or heavy ??

Not a good sign.

It's slightish. I'll go find a scales.

Apparently I'm "not allowed" to buy "anymore pens".... this is why I have a separate bank account from my wife :P

Current pens on rotation: MB 146 (F), Lamy 2000 SS (M & F), Parker Duofold (M) in MB Oyster Grey, MB 146 BP, Lamy Logo BP.

Pens I think about: MB 149, Lamy 2000, Cross Townsend, MB WE Hemingway, MB SE JFK, Parker Duofold Big Red (centennial).

If it is a fake that's a very good fake. Apart from the serial number everything looks in order. "Precious resin" does have a reddish hue under strong light. I don't know about ballpoints but my MB149 has the pix on the cap band and the underside of the clip has "Made in Germany" and "metal" below that. I know that the 149 is an authentic one, bought it from an authorized seller but I'm not sure if this is a recent change to the placement of the engravings.

The box and the papers look authentic but then again it wouldn't be very hard to find a Montblanc box with papers. If you have a MB boutique near you, I'd advise you to take it to them and they may be able to help you understand if it's a genuine one.

Straight off I didn't like to see the large gap in the plush insert where the pen sits inside the box. That rang warning bells right away. Montblanc don't make boxes like that. Authentic Mb boxes hold the pen securely, and almost bury it, in a thin slit in the deep plush lining.

I can't quite see the printing on the warranty because of the flash, but that doesn't look right either.

So the box and warranty for me have all of the hallmarks of a fake.

If the pen came in this box, then that could mean it's potentially a fake.

The clip band looks a bit too wide for me, and the printing on the centre cap band doesn't look crisp enough

I haven't searched for the serial number, but my money is on it being a fake.

The box and the papers look authentic but then again it wouldn't be very hard to find a Montblanc box with papers. If you have a MB boutique near you, I'd advise you to take it to them and they may be able to help you understand if it's a genuine one.

Actually they really don't

"Precious resin" does have a reddish hue under strong light.

The 145 that I bought new, from a dealer in China for $13, has the reddish hue. That is NOT a sign of a genuine MB as the fakes are getting better all the time.

Peter

All of the signs you pointed out are actually good signs of a Montblanc usually being genuine. Unfortunately in this case, it appears the pen is still a counterfeit. Unless this is the original pen the counterfeiters stole the serial number from, it has been reported as a commonly-used serial number on reproductions. As Chrissy pointed out, the box and and warranty booklet are definitely fake. The pen you show is such a common, simple Montblanc that there are not many ways to tell the difference between a real pen and really good counterfeit pen.

I keep thinking about selling some of my pens but all that happens is I keep acquiring more!

• 2 weeks later...

Can confirm that serial is common for fakes. I almost got ripped on a fake with that serial from eBay. Once I figured out it was fake I bought a gen directly from MB and was able to compare. Biggest difference other that subjective things like weight, quality, etc. was to take the cap off and look directly into it. The gen has an X in the bottom of the hole, the fake did not. There were other very slight differences (depth of sn engraving, sn size, amount of refill that extends from the hole but all would be hard for me to explain if you don't have something to compare it to. My advice is to always Google the serial number before buying or if you are willing, do what I did and buy from MB if you are not familiar enough with a model to spot a fake.

Can confirm that serial is common for fakes. I almost got ripped on a fake with that serial from eBay. Once I figured out it was fake I bought a gen directly from MB and was able to compare. Biggest difference other that subjective things like weight, quality, etc. was to take the cap off and look directly into it. The gen has an X in the bottom of the hole, the fake did not. There were other very slight differences (depth of sn engraving, sn size, amount of refill that extends from the hole but all would be hard for me to explain if you don't have something to compare it to. My advice is to always Google the serial number before buying or if you are willing, do what I did and buy from MB if you are not familiar enough with a model to spot a fake.

Thanks for your advice, I shall do so next time.

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone!

New to this forum. I like Montblanc, have 2 vintage fountain pens. Recently I bought a ballpoint pen / won an auction on eBay. The seller had written that he bought it by a well-known person, who is a known seller of MB (I will not write the name here, unless necessary). I have no intentention to return the pen or accuse the seller of any kind of false info, I am just curious if you could help me identify if the ballpen is authentic or a good fake. What worries me, is the weight of the pen, looks lighty in hand... And the material compared to the old fountain-pens that I have is slightly diffrent..

So here it goes.. it is supposed to be a Montblanc Meisterstuck LeGrand ballpoint pen. When you take the refill out, the spring does not fall out.

Here are the pictures.. The Pix under the clip is not engraved IN, it rather sticks OUT of the level of the clip..

Sorry I do not have a better camera.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153656961@N02/shares/XbV4s1

Hi,

I recently obtained this MB Meisterstuck ballpoint pen. I know this is a FP forum, but maybe someone can help me on Ballpoints!

I have doubts on whether its a genuine MB.. I have attached a few photos.

1. The "pix" is on the band, not under the clip. Under the clip has "made in Germany" - is this common?

2. There is a serial number. IW1666858

3. The bottom part of the pen (under strong light) goes slightly red.

Any help would be great!

Many thanks.

Pretty nice 164 Ballpoint. Certainly,without a doubt,100% (you get it), a genuine fake. That's unfortunate. Edited by Eric_H

“I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.”
— Douglas Adams

Hello everyone!

New to this forum. I like Montblanc, have 2 vintage fountain pens. Recently I bought a ballpoint pen / won an auction on eBay. The seller had written that he bought it by a well-known person, who is a known seller of MB (I will not write the name here, unless necessary). I have no intentention to return the pen or accuse the seller of any kind of false info, I am just curious if you could help me identify if the ballpen is authentic or a good fake. What worries me, is the weight of the pen, looks lighty in hand... And the material compared to the old fountain-pens that I have is slightly diffrent..

So here it goes.. it is supposed to be a Montblanc Meisterstuck LeGrand ballpoint pen. When you take the refill out, the spring does not fall out.

Here are the pictures.. The Pix under the clip is not engraved IN, it rather sticks OUT of the level of the clip..

Sorry I do not have a better camera.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153656961@N02/shares/XbV4s1

Either the best fake ever or a genuine. Looks pretty real,but the Pix is usually engraved. Take it to a Montblanc dealer,they'll help you.

“I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.”
— Douglas Adams