Sailor Jentle Yama-Dori

dms525

My second Sailor Jentle Ink arrived today, and I couldn't wait to try it. This is Yama-dori, and it is loaded into an OMAS Ogiva Alba Green with an italic nib. This is kind of a "first look," so I didn't feel it belonged in the Reviews forum. So ....

The nib on this pen writes very wet, but Yama-dori, while having excellent lubrication, also permits very good thick/thin line differentiation, which is very important to me. The big surprise was the sheen, although looking back at Saskia's 2010 review of this ink, one commenter ("Mother of Triplets?") remarked on its sheen.

If this flow behavior is characteristic of all Sailor Jentle inks, I am in big trouble!

David

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dms525

• tinkerteacher

• amberleadavis

• pen2paper

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If this flow behavior is characteristic of all Sailor Jentle inks, I am in big trouble!

Why, yes, David. Yes you are!

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

there it is again!

I'm not seeking new adventures in ink paper pens - content with what I have..

then I see this ink again.. This color effect is so very like Saphiret glass, a bohemian region glass that when moved shifted from this color blue to brick red. Google: Saphiret Glass images and you'll see this too. Yama-Dori captures the effect of Saphiret.

Why does it do that color-shifting, and what is whatever causes it doing to the pen in the meantime? :huh:

I have several other inks that develop a sheen like this. There are several FPN topics dealing with it. I don't know the physical chemistry. Perhaps someone who does will tell us all. I have never heard of sheen being associated with any kind of damage to pens.

David

Thank you for posting these images. I always thought this ink was more green than blue. It seems to be the opposite. I might have to get some, just to be sure! Super ink / pen combo, by the way!

wow...that red sheen is just intoxicating...i want a bottle now.

Do you know of a place where I could acquire a sample?

Thank you for posting these images. I always thought this ink was more green than blue. It seems to be the opposite. I might have to get some, just to be sure! Super ink / pen combo, by the way!

The color is really "teal," which falls in the "blue-green" category. It looks (to me) more blue than green, especially when adjacent to something that is "really" green. The OMAS Arco Green is also a blue-green, but it is more green than blue. If I were shopping for a pen to match Yama-dori, I would look for a blue-gray, if I couldn't find a teal finish.

Hope this helps.

David

www.iselllpens.com is the only place I know that sells samples of Sailor Jentle inks. No affiliation, etc.

David

As David said, this is definitely in the teal category for me, and it leans towards the blue side of teal. Next a true blue ink it looks more green, but put it next to teal that leans green (Syo-ro) and it looks almost like a blue-black.

Like David said, isellpens does. As does andersonpens (No affiliation with either)

So many inks, so little time...

The nib on this pen writes very wet, but Yama-dori, while having excellent lubrication, also permits very good thick/thin line differentiation, which is very important to me. The big surprise was the sheen, although looking back at Saskia's 2010 review of this ink, one commenter ("Mother of Triplets?") remarked on its sheen.

David

Don't say we didn't warning you.

Not just of the Jentle line, but of pretty much all the Sailor inks, as I am unfortunately (financially) finding out. Very lubricated while not being overally wet, and the sheen! What ever chemical genius Sailor has locked up in their basement, he does good work.

Very nice handwriting and photos, I look forward to more of your mini and full reviews.

Edited by tinkerteacher

Semper Faciens, Semper Discens

what you mean lubricated without overall being wet Shosaikan seiran is a very very wet ink with a bit of lubrication... but still wet with decent properties but it can feather

though I'm now interested in their Storia inks as they are stated to be permanent pigmented inks

Edited by Algester

Have had problems with Yama-Dori feathering on our paper. Same for Oku-Yama. Interesting colors, but the on-paper behavior isn't all that great. And, the water resistance isn't much to write home about. They are more "interesting" so-to-speak than the Iroshizuku inks of near colors, but they just don't seem to have the on-page behavior of the Iroshizuku inks.

Also, don't know about such things as fade-resistance. After watching stuff written with Salix turn to grey lines with no significant UV assistance, I have started worrying about whether my file notes will actually be readable a few months down the road.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

My second Sailor Jentle Ink arrived today, and I couldn't wait to try it. This is Yama-dori, and it is loaded into an OMAS Ogiva Alba Green with an italic nib. This is kind of a "first look," so I didn't feel it belonged in the Reviews forum. So ....

post-73460-0-37907300-1427925988.jpg

Wonderful; it is one of my favorite teal/blues

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

That is the perfect ink for that pen. Gorgeous.

Thanks!

I found an even better match! The Conway-Stewart Coral Green resin. I have it in a Belliver with a very fine (about 0.6 mm) italic nib. I'll post a photo tomorrow, as time allows.

David

what you mean lubricated without overall being wet Shosaikan seiran is a very very wet ink with a bit of lubrication... but still wet with decent properties but it can feather

though I'm now interested in their Storia inks as they are stated to be permanent pigmented inks

Yes, I'd like to see more about Sailor's new Storia inks myself.

post-121456-0-57215700-1428071525_thumb.jpg

Especially Storia Night Blue and Storia Magic Purple.

I think I found the best color pairing of the pens I have with Yama-dori. What do you think?

David

Man, you have to stop throwing up these photos of awesome ink, your awesome handwriting, plus your awesome pen collection. Too much overload for the senses and pen and ink lust.

Interesting pen choice, however. It's got that colour shifting like Yama-Dori, with the red highlights. Maybe, a tad too much yellow flaking though, especially paired with the gold furniture.