The 3D Printing Adventure Continue...

...Previous post.

At last, I found one of solution for the original 3D printed clip! Instead of printing a clip separately, I designed it into a part of the cap and printed it as one piece.

This is first prototype for the Moai Clip Pen (My original design inspired by stone statue of Ester island) printed in polished metallic plastic (feels like a stone). The Clip works and the quad threads screws for the barrel and cap came out nicely and function well. The threads for the nib housing (for JoWo #6) also works. There is one concern. The ink will stain the section if you dip it into the ink bottle because the printed plastic is porous. It will come off mostly when you wash it but little residue remains. You can avoid this problem by using ink cartridge or detach the converter from the section when you fill the ink. Over all, I'm pleased the result. it opened new way of pen making.
Hum... Is it handmade?
fpn_1427906658__maskpen6.jpg
fpn_1427906679__maskpen5.jpg
fpn_1427906698__maskpen3.jpg
fpn_1427906713__maskpen1.jpg

I can't believe I'm making fountain pens! pen.18111.com

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Sammyo

• alc3261

If staining is a problem. What about using a vintage nib, feed, and section or have a section turned in a modern plastic that works visually with the porous plastic the pen is made from. Sort of a Franken 3D printer pen.

I really like your clip design and the overall appearance of your pen. The Easter Island motif really works as a clip design, very ingenious.

The Easter Island theme is a really nice match for the texture of the material. The clip design really highlights something that 3-d printing can do that other techniques will not do so easily. Can you change the color to better match the actual color of Moai?

Very thin cyanoacrylate glue, thin enough to dip the part in and let it flow and soak into the pores, followed by light sanding, is something I've seen used to deal with porous 3D print parts. Also strengthens them.

Remarkable.

Is it hand made? No.

Is it uniquely customisable? Yes.

So, it's a different take on the same idea, because what people really mean from 'Hand Made' is 'There is no other in the world quite like it'.

The idea of sealing with CA sounds a good one to me.

Regards,

Richard

The material has a sort of rough hewn look to it so if the staining on the section didn't come off on your fingers when you used the pen, the staining could be an interesting effect in some cases.

This looks like there can be some really interesting possibilites with this technique.

Congratulations.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

grabby hands clutching!

Wow that is amazing!

Thank you!

Very nice!!

Thank you!

If staining is a problem. What about using a vintage nib, feed, and section or have a section turned in a modern plastic that works visually with the porous plastic the pen is made from. Sort of a Franken 3D printer pen.

I really like your clip design and the overall appearance of your pen. The Easter Island motif really works as a clip design, very ingenious.

Thank you! Yes, I'll test a section made out of modern plastic.

Edited by 18111

The Easter Island theme is a really nice match for the texture of the material. The clip design really highlights something that 3-d printing can do that other techniques will not do so easily. Can you change the color to better match the actual color of Moai?

Thank you! It could be painted to simulate the color of original Moai but I would like to limit the use of other process or materials as much as possible because it's a adventure of the 3D printing.

Very thin cyanoacrylate glue, thin enough to dip the part in and let it flow and soak into the pores, followed by light sanding, is something I've seen used to deal with porous 3D print parts. Also strengthens them.

Remarkable.

Is it hand made? No.

Is it uniquely customisable? Yes.

So, it's a different take on the same idea, because what people really mean from 'Hand Made' is 'There is no other in the world quite like it'.

The idea of sealing with CA sounds a good one to me.

Regards,

Richard

Thanks for the idea. I've tried CA but its set too quick and messy to handle. Is there any way to thin or slow down the curing time of CA? Other concern is I'm allergic to the CA so try not to use it if possible.

The material has a sort of rough hewn look to it so if the staining on the section didn't come off on your fingers when you used the pen, the staining could be an interesting effect in some cases.

This looks like there can be some really interesting possibilites with this technique.

Congratulations.

Thank you, Ted! Yes, some people may find it interesting but most people will annoyed it, I believe.

Very cool pen. Especially the clip design. Lots of possibilities to adapt art from cultures around the world. First Nations peoples, ancient Egyptian, Greek, Asian and Viking art are just the tip of the iceberg.

As a possible replacement for CA you could try to see if "Cactus Juice", used to stabilize soft woods would work. Curtis would be able to tell you if it can be done. Dyes can be added to the liquid for an added colour dimensions.

Pete

I am genuinely impressed!

I am designer in the automotive industry using 3D software and sometimes working on SLA prototype parts. This is the first time I think the idea of a 3D printed pen seems like something I would spend hard earned cash on. Congratulations.

Additionally, I typically syringe fill the converter and then dip only the nib to saturate the feed.

Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

Thanks for the idea. I've tried CA but its set too quick and messy to handle. Is there any way to thin or slow down the curing time of CA? Other concern is I'm allergic to the CA so try not to use it if possible.

I've seen it almost water-thin, but don't have any details on where to get it. There may be other options too; polyester resin comes to mind. A google search for "3d print sealant" just now turned up quite a few interesting hits, you might see if there's anything that suits your situation in there.

This is by far the best looking 3D printed pen i've seen! How much does it weigh? Also how long did it take you to design? Are you designing for fun and to open source or to eventually sell?

I've seen it almost water-thin, but don't have any details on where to get it. There may be other options too; polyester resin comes to mind. A google search for "3d print sealant" just now turned up quite a few interesting hits, you might see if there's anything that suits your situation in there.

Thanks, I've googled and found that CA can be diluted with acetone. I might try this if I couldn't find any other solution.

Very cool pen. Especially the clip design. Lots of possibilities to adapt art from cultures around the world. First Nations peoples, ancient Egyptian, Greek, Asian and Viking art are just the tip of the iceberg.

As a possible replacement for CA you could try to see if "Cactus Juice", used to stabilize soft woods would work. Curtis would be able to tell you if it can be done. Dyes can be added to the liquid for an added colour dimensions.

Pete

Thank you pete for the suggestion. I've used cactus juice for my early wood pen projects but it didn't work for me.