Enough Interest In Mabie Todd, Swan Or Otherwise?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cob

• Cepasaccus

• Greenie

• Goudy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There were two Swan ringtops that sold very recently on Ebay (was yours one of them?) - a darkened green "Eternalite" (Mabie Todd's name) 54 ringtop, and a much more rare pen with green streaks that is a bit later. Both of those were American variants.

The first one is one of the earliest of the plastic swans, and you can see that from the capbands. Those are the same capbands they used prior to the introduction of the plastics (around 26/27). The nib on the first one should be marked "Eternal" to be correct, and it should be relatively large (to the size of the pen) and quite firm.

The second one is said by the seller to have a 2 size nib. Its probably more flexible. It should not be an Eternal nib. The Eternal nibs were thicker and heavier - meant to last longer. Its not common to find a flexible Eternal nib. But other nibs by Mabie Todd are typically flexible, and sometimes outrageously so.

Both pens are likely are 1920's - early for American Swan plastics.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Good morning!

I'm afraid I have nothing to add about ringtops; there certainly were ringtop Eternals - the short ones, with model numbers beginning with a 5 as mentioned above. I have owned only one ringtop - and it was a Wyvern (now sold)!

I'm afraid I don't follow ringtops on ebay so didn't see the ones mentioned.

Rgds

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Yes, that was me who bought the green-streaked one. The nib looks like a late one: the word "Swan" and a bird. The seller sort-of tested it for flex and the answer was positive enough to take a chance.

A gold one just arrived that I got for a similar price - what a bargain!

post-118146-0-45997500-1435445907_thumb.jpg

My small Swans are generally fantastic writers. They are often overlooked due to their small size. My gold banded black lever fill ring tops are outstanding writers. Please don't bid against me on the patterns I still want!

Here is an interesting one. It is bigger than a typical ring top, but smaller than a typical clipped pen - just a hair over 4 1/2 inches not counting the ring. And it has both a ring top and clip. It is an eyedropper, but also is the later screw safety cap. The end of the barrel says "SWAN PEN SAFETY SCREW CAP" NY barrel and nib imprints.

fpn_1435455082__reduced00001.jpgfpn_1435455094__reduced00002.jpg

Two very nice pens indeed: that one of yours Greenie would be I suppose a "B" were it to have a number although i don't know if the "B" designation was used on eye-dropppers. I have one small Swan with the wrong cap and no clip on that! Its a SF230-60B.

Meanwhile for those who like small golden pens three strange ones have appeared on English ebay under Mabie Todd I do not know what make they are, there is no information and they finish on Thursday:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301673275328?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301673278178?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301673279404?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

EDIT: Looking again at the listings it appears that they might be Wahls; why they came up I don't know, but I have left this message as someone might fancy them

Cob

Edited by Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

The nibs look a bit chewed-up but they're probably worth picking up if the prices stay low.

Wahl seems to have made scads of metal ringtops.

The first is a Wahl "Console" pattern with a cheap nib, incorrect and not gold. The pen is badly brassed. Little to salvage off this pen. Not worth the starting price. I collect these, so I am certain on this one.

The second is not a Wahl. The barrel end and lever are wrong. Warranted nib is sprung. hard to tell if the nib is salvageable. Possibly crimped on barrel and cap ends. Cap ring supported by what looks like slit of end cap bent to accommodate ring. None of my first tier ring tops are like this. Seems to be an inexpensive pen originally.

The third looks to be a Conklin lever fill. Search Google images. Same pattern and shape of cap arises. The nib on the auction photo might say Conklin.

Cob,

You are correct again! I have only two "B" type pens. One is clipless and ringless, and one is with a clip. This gold ring and clip pen is the same length as these.

The B seems to be a standard girth pen with shorter barrel. The caps on my 142/53 and unmarked scarlet short clipped model are interchangeable.

The first is a Wahl "Console" pattern with a cheap nib, incorrect and not gold. The pen is badly brassed. Little to salvage off this pen. Not worth the starting price. I collect these, so I am certain on this one.

The second is not a Wahl. The barrel end and lever are wrong. Warranted nib is sprung. hard to tell if the nib is salvageable. Possibly crimped on barrel and cap ends. Cap ring supported by what looks like slit of end cap bent to accommodate ring. None of my first tier ring tops are like this. Seems to be an inexpensive pen originally.

The third looks to be a Conklin lever fill. Search Google images. Same pattern and shape of cap arises. The nib on the auction photo might say Conklin.

Thanks for that display of expert knowledge. That robber wants £15 to post to UK from Sweden so he can keep his pen even if it is a Conklin!.

Cob

Cob,

You are correct again! I have only two "B" type pens. One is clipless and ringless, and one is with a clip. This gold ring and clip pen is the same length as these.

The B seems to be a standard girth pen with shorter barrel. The caps on my 142/53 and unmarked scarlet short clipped model are interchangeable.

Yes the B seems to be the equivalent of Waterman's "V" whilst Mabie Todd (I think) used "C" as the equivalent of Waterman's ½.

Cob

My pen greed is sated for the moment - I've got the green one on the way and two in the shop, so I'm good for the moment.

Because there is still not dedicated space for MT, I have to look somewhere else here to show my Mabie, Todd & Bard.

Because there is still not dedicated space for MT, I have to look somewhere else here to show my Mabie, Todd & Bard.

Hear hear!!

Cob

My last gotten Mabie, Todd & Bard (c.1905) with a GF Wave Chased Double Scroll pattern overlay and an over and under feed.

fpn_1435865633__swan_1m.jpg

Edited by Alex2014

My last gotten Mabie, Todd & Bard (c.1905) with a GF Wave Chased Double Scroll pattern overlay and an over and under feed.

fpn_1435865633__swan_1m.jpg

Beautiful ,and a typical Mabie Todd & Bard masterpiece.

Cob

I actually just said "wow" out loud. Beautiful pen.