Clik Or Screw Cap ?

Hans-Gabriel

Hi All!

Do you prefer a cap that screws or a cap that clicks ?

Can you motivate your preference ?

Do you know any other way to hold the cap in place on the body ?

H-G

Edited by Hans-Gabriel

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• Lou Erickson

• canibanoglu

• bbycrts

Top Posters In This Topic

No real preference. Have both (roughly 50/50 split)

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I generally prefer a snap cap, as I never worry someone will just rip it off without unscrewing it. Have one broken pen from that now. I think it's fixable...

I've got a very old hard rubber pen that's just a friction fit - no snap. The end of the pen is just a cone, and the hard rubber cap pushes on to it. Don't push too hard - it'll never come off!

There is also the retractable fountain pen. I have a Vanishing Point inked this very day, in fact. (Along with three snap-caps and two screw caps. Too many pens today.)

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

I prefer the screw on -- from a security standpoint -- some of the snapons do not work very well

I prefer a click cap, but a screw cap isn't a deal breaker. For instance, my new Pilot Heritage 91 has a fairly long section and the threads are not intrusive. It's comfortable, but obviously not as as easy to open and close as I would like.

Pretty much what jar said. Although I find that using a click cap for on and off note taking sessions is better.

In addition to retractables and vintage slip-on caps, there are slip-ons with magnetic closures such as the Visconti Van Gogh series. My preference is toward screw-on caps. Without data, I feel they are more reliable for pocket ware--if they are going to fail, they will feel loose when you first get them. There won't be a sudden failure. And I enjoy the act of threading the cap on and off as part of my writing experience.

ron

Pretty much what jar said. Although I find that using a click cap for on and off note taking sessions is better.

Again for me that depends on the execution. My GvFC Classic takes only about 3/4 of a turn to uncap, may Cd'A Varius about two turns but some like my Montegrappa Symphony or Classica or 1930 take about a brazillion full turns. The first two work great for note taking but the later ones need forethought.

My Website

I love the Vanishing Point caps...

Most of my pens have screw caps, but if I had been able to choose, there would have been more slip on caps - easier for one handed work.

Greetings,

Michael

It depends, my vintage pens are all screw caps. The modern ones, P21, 45, 51, which are more for daily use all have slip caps.

Again for me that depends on the execution. My GvFC Classic takes only about 3/4 of a turn to uncap, may Cd'A Varius about two turns but some like my Montegrappa Symphony or Classica or 1930 take about a brazillion full turns. The first two work great for note taking but the later ones need forethought.

Hmm again, you're right. I agree that my Visconti HS takes not even half a turn to uncap. I was really thinking of my Pelikans and MBs when I said that :D

I generally prefer a screw cap as I'm paranoid about snap caps coming open in my pocket. A screw cap with one turn or less, though.

Not really committed to one or the other. The snap cap on my Lamy 2000 and the screw cap on my Pilot Custom Heritage 92 are both just fine. And speaking of Pilot, there's the Vanishing Point. Who needs caps?

My main problem is that, since I have both, sometimes my brain needs a couple of extra seconds to tell me which kind I'm holding in my hand.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Depends on mission and environment. If I want to write letters at home, I don't mind screw caps. If I have to use bulletproof or Nano ink, I even prefer pens with screw caps and special cap sealing mechanisms like the Sailor 1911s or Platinum 3776 Centuries. At the office, where time is sometimes at a premium, I prefer pens with a quicker way to access. So there I use for signatures either a Pilot Fermo with its twist mechanism or, if it has to be something more representative, a Visconti HS with its splendid bayonet-like closing mechanism, a Sheaffer Legacy Heritage, Lamy 2000, or a Waterman Carene as workhorse pens with their practical snap-on caps, and a Pilot Capless as the ultimate note-taker pen.

Edited by LuisAAbrilRomero

I don't think I have a strong preference. As long as the cap stays on the pen and isn't hard to remove, it doesn't really matter that much to me. Currently, I have 4 FPs with click-on caps, 2 with screw-on caps (but 1 isn't here for me to 100% certain on that though), and 1 retractable nib.

For work I prefer a click cap - easier and quicker to remove for quick notes and phone messages. At home I prefer screw caps.

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

What Jar said...Execution is the key. I have wonderful screw caps as well as awesome push-n-clicks. It is when the design is flawed that I deem it unsuitable.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain