The Pilot Metropolitan -- "gateway" Pen To The Custom 74

weltyj

Last year I got two pilot metropolitans, an M and an F nib for my daughter. I was so impressed with the smoothness of the M nib (with J. Herbin Perle Noire ink), that I got another metropolitan with an M nib for myself. The pen, which I have been using now for two months at work is just incredible. Super smooth nib, no problems starting, not too wet, but wet enough. Just perfect. It is that nice Asian M size, nice for writing and working with mathematical formulas.

I ran across those custom 74's with the SFM nibs and the little bit of line variation demonstrated, and well, I couldn't stand it -- one is on order now.

I blame the pilot metropolitan entirely on my order, it definitely acted as a gateway to my purchase of the more expensive pilot model.

I only hope the custom 74's is not yet another gateway -- that could get REAL expensive ;)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• weltyj

• Algester

• CarlosCaligrafia

• MathurinKerbouchard

I started the other way around, first the custom and then the MR. :)

The metropolitan is superb, there is almost nothing new to the writing on more expensive Pens.

The Customs have springi nibs and I do prefer gold nibs when I'm writing for pleasure. Otherwise I use my MRs (metropolitan) at work. Get a Plumix with an italic nib and you can swap it on the MR.

The hobbie is expensive because there are too much variety, and also because in our subconscious we think we are one pen away of getting a holy writing experience. The thing is, every pen will give you a different feel and the hunt for those different experiences is what keeps us going.

Pilot is my favorite brand so enjoy!!

Edited by CarlosCaligrafia

Pens:

Sheaffer Targa M / Parker 45 M / Sheaffer Imperial M / Parker Arrow

Lamy Vista F / Lamy Safari EF / PELIKAN M400 M Vintage (for sale)

Pilot Custom 74 F / Namiki Falcon SF / Pilot VP M / Pilot Prera / Pilot Metropolitan F M

Sailor Sapporo B / Platinum 3776 BB Stub

Pilot Custom 91 SFM / Pilot Custom 74 Dark Blue B

INSTAGRAM: @carlosoutfocus

For me it was the mini catalog with all the customs and nib models that was sent with my decimo. I tossed it aside at first, but it wouldn't leave my consicousness. Now have a c74 m and a kaede, more to come.

@Ink Blotto -- I'm really enjoying the Perle Noire right now, it is reasonably waterproof and fast drying which makes it perfect for use at work. J. Herbin Eclat De Saphir is also inked up in a second pen if I want a different color to use.

@CarlosCaligrafia -- I like that idea about the Plumix with the italic nib. I have a 78G with a broad nib which I think is the same as the Plumix italic nib, I'll check if I can swap the 78g nib into the Metropolitan.

EDIT:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/253259-pilot-metro-nib-swappable-with-pilot-78g-nib/

Indeed the nibs on the Metropolitan and Plumix and 78G are interchangeable. I probably will get a plumix with italic nib since my Metropolitan is silver, and the gold plated nib from my 78G would look out of place.

Edited by weltyj

Namiki / pilot black is water resistant also and is nice on Pilots.

Namiki / pilot blue is beautiful and light and more water resistant, almos water proof.

I refill the cartridges and sometimes mix them both to have different shades of blue-black.

Pens:

Sheaffer Targa M / Parker 45 M / Sheaffer Imperial M / Parker Arrow

Lamy Vista F / Lamy Safari EF / PELIKAN M400 M Vintage (for sale)

Pilot Custom 74 F / Namiki Falcon SF / Pilot VP M / Pilot Prera / Pilot Metropolitan F M

Sailor Sapporo B / Platinum 3776 BB Stub

Pilot Custom 91 SFM / Pilot Custom 74 Dark Blue B

INSTAGRAM: @carlosoutfocus

Indeed the nibs on the Metropolitan and Plumix and 78G are interchangeable. I probably will get a plumix with italic nib since my Metropolitan is silver, and the gold plated nib from my 78G would look out of place.

And also with the Pilot Kakuno if you're lacking a smiley face nib in your life.

Myself, I got tired of the nib smiling back at me and now my two super light and durable Kakunos are sporting a 0.9 italic nib from a Pluminix and a Japanese EF off a Penmanship.

Love the interchangeability of not only this level, but of all Pilot's different price level levels. If I ever get a 823, I'm sticking a FA nib on it.

Semper Faciens, Semper Discens

• 1 month later...

I've had the Custom 74 for about 3 weeks now. Initial ink was the J. Herbin Perle Noire. OH MY -- that was too wet! At the start of this week I loaded it up with Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black -- very nice now. I really like that I can get a little line variation now in my science doodles I do every day (sketching out functional forms I need to accomplish modeling tasks).

I couldn't be happier. :-)

FWIW I got it from ebay seller pisuke2005. I was very pleased with the speed of delivery and communication. No affiliation...

The Custom pens generally have wet nibs. Dry inks like 4001, Salix and ESSR work very well. The 74 is a gateway to the 742.

• 3 months later...

My Pilot Metropolitan Blue Leopard with a M nib arrived today!

It actually came as "Pilot MR", which is how it's called in Europe (and it's the Cocoon in Japan?) but I bought it from Amazon, so I don't know what an MR was doing in an US Amazon warehouse.

Anyway, I inked it up with Pelikan 4001 Turquoise and boy does it write smoothly. Now, I'm a leftie, so I didn't even consider the F nib, but now that I see how awesome that $15 pen is, I might seriously consider trying another Japanese F nib.

It's my first Japanese nib, so pardon my enthusiasm. :D

Who knows what ink lurks in the hearts of pen? The Shadow knows!

@CarlosCaligrafia -- I like that idea about the Plumix with the italic nib. I have a 78G with a broad nib which I think is the same as the Plumix italic nib, I'll check if I can swap the 78g nib into the Metropolitan.

EDIT:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/253259-pilot-metro-nib-swappable-with-pilot-78g-nib/

Let us know how you like the italic nib from the Plumix.

I swapped a Plumix italic into a Prera, but it felt unexpectedly scratchy, even though the nib looked to be in good condition through a loupe. A little feedback is fine, but this seems excessive.

Edited by PaperQueen

Why are there fourteen samples of dark plum ink on my desk? Because I still haven't found the right shade.

Is that a problem...??? : : : sigh : : :

Update: Great. Finally found one I love (Lamy Dark Lilac) but I can't get more. Ah, life in my inky world....

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely true.

I bought an MR a couple of months back, and the fine nib on that pen blew me away. By far the greatest thin lined nib I've tried.

I'm now getting a Custom 74 with an SFM nib for use in the house only.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the Metropolitan, but if you don't use the pen in a little while, I found that the nib dried out quickly. The Kakuno is cheaper but much more resistant to drying out and is a great nib too. Heck, the nib on the throwaway Pilot Varsity is pretty darn good.

If you want to try a dreamy pen, then try the Custom Heritage 92. I think the MF nib is the perfect nib. It brings a smile to my face every time I write with it.

Toshi

• 3 weeks later...

I just recieved the two metropolitans that I ordered. I got the gold finish with a fine nib and a black zigzag with a medium nib. I LOVE the fine nib. I ordered both because I didn't know whether I'd like the fine or the medium. Turns out I love the fine, used the medium but find the fine works better for me. Inked with the Pilot cartridges, blue for the Gold and black for the Black zigzag. I did a bit of research as I hadn't touched a fountain pen since grade school, over 50 years ago. I Love this pen, I looked at the Custom 74 but for now I'm satisfied with the Metropolitan. Some reviewers said the front grip was a bit small but I find it works fine, I use mine posted and balance feels good. Writing feels smooth with some feed back and I can hear it scratch on loops and up swings, but it isn't an uncomfortable scratch. I have to say I'm surprised that this is such a nice writing, quality pen for under $15 dollars. Got mine from Amazon. Tried to find this pen in a brick and mortar around my town, no dice. To bad most of the vendors are online as oppossed to in stores around town. New to fountain pens and new to this forum as well. Hope this doesn't lead me further down the rabbit hole in search of the perfect pen, because this one feels great right now.

youu guys to be honest I did an inverse trope on this my very first pilot pen was a CH91... not a prera, not even a 78G heck not even a metropolitan... a custom heritage 91! then I went backwards got me a 78G which I find crappy then I waited got me a Prera which was better :3

and then i dropped my CH91... <_< currently on its way to Pilot Japan hopefully good as new... BECAUSE WE DONT HAVE A REPRESENTATIVE OF THE BRAND FOR THEIR FPs :<

I'm thinking of getting the turquoise Retro Pop Metropolitan when it's out, and I wanted to ask about the nib. Is the fine a Japanese fine, or is it a "Japanese nib marketed to the US" fine? (I got bit by this with my Platinum Plaisir.) Money is a touch tight right now, so I don't want to buy multiples. I do have a 78G fine, which I love!

The 74 is a gateway to the 742.

And the 742 a gateway to the 823.

And the 823 a gateway to the 845.

Or at least that's how it was for me. :blush:

Currently browsing Namiki... :yikes:

same here got pilot metro then cust heritage 91 VP 823 Decimo 92 845 now what... maiki ukari royale?

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

I'm thinking of getting the turquoise Retro Pop Metropolitan when it's out, and I wanted to ask about the nib. Is the fine a Japanese fine, or is it a "Japanese nib marketed to the US" fine? (I got bit by this with my Platinum Plaisir.) Money is a touch tight right now, so I don't want to buy multiples. I do have a 78G fine, which I love!

The fine is very fine indeed. It is substantially finer than the TWSBI fine, and I can't imagine wanting anything smaller on any pen, unless you're really writing very, very small.