Frustration With Sailor Ink Capacity

4lex

I have two Sailor pens, Sailor Sapporo and Sailor 1911 Large NT nib. They are both in my top 10 pens but I use them less and less because of the limited ink capacity.

I write a lot and just don't feel the confidence in these pens that will last me a day of writing. I think converter holds 0.6 ml of ink and I have difficulty filling them fully so its more like 0.5ml.

Looks like pens are designed for Japanese writing system in which you use less ink to write down the same message (what you will need four pages of writing in English will only take three pages in Japanese.) I was thinking of converting them to an eyedropper but I am no great fan of them. Cartridge holds more ink but I would rather use rollerball then put that plastic thing in a pen.

Are there any larger converters that would fit in these two pens?

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4lex

• jeffkoch

• tinkerteacher

• Algester

Top Posters In This Topic

Done that, just cut the cartridge in half and fitted the ink sac on it. It trebled the ink capacity but looks a bit shabby. Thanks for advice though

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

No real solution to the ink capacity that I am aware of. I have 7 Sailors and 5 Naginata-Togi's. Even the Realo model doesn't solve the ink issue. Refilling a cartridge will give you the most ink, at almost 1ml. I don't like that either. Therefore, I started carrying 3ml or so of the ink I was using in my briefcase.... in case I ran out. Sample vile in a zip lock baggie. Then, I though..... dummy, just buy a second NT to carry and fill them both with the same ink. So now I have 5.

Ink capacity is the only downside to Sailor pens, IMO.

I enjoy MB 146 pens, Sailor, Pilot and Platinum pens as well. I have a strong attraction to dark red and muted green ink, colors I dislike for everything but FP ink. I also enjoy practicing my handwriting and attempting to improve it. I love the feel of quality paper under a gold nib.

I also like Sailor pens. I find the ink lasts me several days, though, from one refill. I always carry several fountain pens with me, and usually at least one in a Pilot Custom 823. They hold several mL of ink if you do the refill trick with them and because they are demonstrators, I always know how much ink I have before I leave the house in the morning.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/84753-how-to-fill-a-pilot-custom-823/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/196924-pilot-custom-823-medium-14k-nib/

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

If I'm planning to write with my 1911 NT-MF, I always carry extra pens with me. Invariably, it seems that I run out of ink halfway through a note-taking session.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

My least favourite converter out there.

I changed my best Sailor to an eyedropper a few years ago with no regrets.

How do you change a Sailor to an eyedropper? Is there a Youtube video for that?

My life is full of mistakes. They're like pebbles that make a good road.

Beatrice Wood

My least favourite converter out there.

I changed my best Sailor to an eyedropper a few years ago with no regrets.

What about the metal parts in the body of the pen? Was there no oxydation?

Wouldn't something like these Sailor made nylon/leather pen cases work?

http://thewritingdesk.co.uk/showproduct.php?brand=Sailor&range=Pen+Cases&cat=pen+cases&subr=

They are designed to carry both pen and ink.

They carry CARTRIDGES... and I am pretty sure, people who use plastic cartridges are at risk of going to hell...

They carry CARTRIDGES... and I am pretty sure, people who use plastic cartridges are at risk of going to hell...

As the cartridges hold more ink, and can easily be refilled with more interesting inks and resealed with a glue gun and some blunt syringes, damnd I'll be.

Semper Faciens, Semper Discens

As the cartridges hold more ink, and can easily be refilled with more interesting inks and resealed with a glue gun and some blunt syringes, damnd I'll be.

I refilled empty cartridges using a syringe. I carried them in an Altoids mint tin.

I didn't seal the openings of the cartridges.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I refilled empty cartridges using a syringe. I carried them in an Altoids mint tin.

I didn't seal the openings of the cartridges.

Interesting. You phrased that in past tense; are you still doing this? Several cartridges in the tin? Since an Altoids tin is nowhere near airtight, how much dehydration did you notice? Seems that if any sort of pocket lint got in, it might wick ink until the cartridge was empty. Care to share any anecdotes or do's and don't's?

<snip> Refilling a cartridge will give you the most ink, at almost 1ml. I don't like that either. Therefore, I started carrying 3ml or so of the ink I was using in my briefcase.... in case I ran out. Sample vile in a zip lock baggie. <snip>

It is possible to carry spare ink in a much smaller vile if you are willing to remove the converter from the pen and just dip the converter in the ink. The small vile fits inside a pill bottle for protection. One caveat; Platinum converters have a metal ring and crevasses so they are harder to wipe clean after dipping in ink.