Camlin Royal Blue Ink | Colour Changed.

cjpandya

"Camlin Black" UPDATE:

The colour and the properties for the old and new black ink remains unchanged. :) (I wished it would have become more saturated :roller1: )

Edited by cjpandya

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cjpandya

• Tresconik

• hari317

• New_Falcon

"Camlin Black" UPDATE:

The colour and the properties for the old and new black ink remains unchanged. :) (I wished it would have become more saturated :roller1: )

try Bril black, it is darker...

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

try Bril black, it is darker...

I tried two bril inks once anna. I loved the blue but can't remember the black. Unfortunately, I live in Vapi, Gujarat. It is not available here. Also tried searching in Mumbai with no luck. :unsure: That is why i entered for the group buy of bril inks as soon as i saw it! :D

• 1 month later...

I have a feeling that there is some change in the Camlin inks since the new Camlin/Kokuyo bottles came. The inks with Camlin/Kokuyo label seem to have more water resistance in addition to possible colour changes. After holding pages written in the camlin/kokuyo blue ink under running water a major fraction of the ink gets washed out but the writing is quite clearly readable and sharp. Earlier writings with Camlin alone inks got completely washed out. Looks like the joint production has made some welcome changes to the inks.

Unfortunately, I don't have any more stock of the old (camlin alone) bottles now to put these (rather intuitive) observations to test.

So, the new Camlin blue is more corrosive than the old one.
I filled my Airmail with the new Camlin blue on the 24th of last month, and set it aside. I examined the nib today, and found an extra breather hole and a couple of other would be holes.

Time for me to go look for old Camlin blue I think.

So, the new Camlin blue is more corrosive than the old one.

I filled my Airmail with the new Camlin blue on the 24th of last month, and set it aside. I examined the nib today, and found an extra breather hole and a couple of other would be holes.

Time for me to go look for old Camlin blue I think.

Tresconik, am I reading your post correctly, that you saw a reaction between the ink and the nib and the metal ended up being eaten away to leave holes?

WTT: My Lamy 2000 Fine nib for your Lamy 2000 Broad nib.

Tresconik, am I reading your post correctly, that you saw a reaction between the ink and the nib and the metal ended up being eaten away to leave holes?

One hole. But I did observe two pits in the nib that would have become holes too. Now the quality of the steel used in the nib might be suspect, but this has not happened with other inks.

One hole. But I did observe two pits in the nib that would have become holes too. Now the quality of the steel used in the nib might be suspect, but this has not happened with other inks.

Trying to think what could be the cause of this. If the ink was very acidic I suppose you would have seen holes in the paper where you had written too.

I wonder if there's any systematic testing we could do. I think in the past Noodlers did a test with aluminum foil and his ink, http://noodlersink.com/noodlers-aluminium/ , I wonder if that would tell us anything.

Has anyone else seen this corrosion issue?

Trying to think what could be the cause of this. If the ink was very acidic I suppose you would have seen holes in the paper where you had written too.

I wonder if there's any systematic testing we could do. I think in the past Noodlers did a test with aluminum foil and his ink, http://noodlersink.com/noodlers-aluminium/ , I wonder if that would tell us anything.

Has anyone else seen this corrosion issue?

My paper seems fine. And most inks made today are quite acidic. I know Quink and Waterman blue both have a pH of around 2-3.

I shall try submerging some foil in the ink.

My paper seems fine. And most inks made today are quite acidic. I know Quink and Waterman blue both have a pH of around 2-3.

I shall try submerging some foil in the ink.

Interesting find. That seems too very reactive for an ink. I have been using this ink for a while now. Its been in one of my eyedroppers since 2 months. No issue. Was there some residual ink already in the pen when you inked it up with this one?

Interesting find. That seems too very reactive for an ink. I have been using this ink for a while now. Its been in one of my eyedroppers since 2 months. No issue. Was there some residual ink already in the pen when you inked it up with this one?

Nope, I bought it and inked it up straight off with Camlin. Are either of your eyedroppers made by Airmail?

I have observed the nib more closely and found two holes in it, excluding the breather hole. I'll put up a picture of it later.

Nope, I bought it and inked it up straight off with Camlin. Are either of your eyedroppers made by Airmail?

I have observed the nib more closely and found two holes in it, excluding the breather hole. I'll put up a picture of it later.

No it's not Airmail. It's Oliver Karma. Sure, please post a picture so we can have a look.

Did you get a chance to take a picture of your pen?

Did you get a chance to take a picture of your pen?

Yeah, it's on my phone. Just need to transfer it to the computer and then the forums.

I bought a few bottles of the new Camlin package when I read this post. I wanted to do a comparison with Bril's Royal Blue.

Bril Royal Blue is still a more saturated ink than Camlin's new offering. Bril's blue is a deeper shade. The new Camlin Royal Blue seems more vibrant when compared with their old package ink.

@Tresconik, please post few pics when you get a chance.

Regards

Rakshit

Regards

Rakshit

Here you go.
I tried removing the dried up ink there after soaking the nib in water for several hours and using a toothbrush, but to no avail.

http://i60.tinypic.com/ivi9l4.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/2a8nwxi.jpg

Here you go.

I tried removing the dried up ink there after soaking the nib in water for several hours and using a toothbrush, but to no avail.

http://i60.tinypic.com/ivi9l4.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/2a8nwxi.jpg

What is this, I don't even...

That must have taken some serious beating.

Maybe you got a bad batch of ink?

It is hard to imagine that Camlin would let something like this get through their QA.

Rakshit

Edited by Rakshit

What is this, I don't even...

That must have taken some serious beating.

Maybe you got a bad batch of ink?

It is hard to imagine that Camlin would let something like this get through their QA.

Rakshit

It is a unique case isn't it? Intriguing. But honestly i feel the culprit here isn't the ink. The quality of the nib maybe at fault here. Just saying. Because such a stong corrosive property would lead me to believe that the ink cannot be so acidic.Even for a bad batch, it would require literally some acid to have fallen into the ink. Edited by cjpandya