Camlin Royal Blue Ink | Colour Changed.

cjpandya

I recently purchased a few standard (60ml) ink pots of the camlin royal blue ink. As soon as i laid down the first line. I noticed that the colour has been changed. I had purchased a few ink pots from Mumbai and the other from Ahmedabad. I noticed that no matter the location, the colour now is different than the previous ink. (Both have manufacturing dates of around mid-late 2014)

The change is ever so mild, but it is noticeable none the less. The newer colour has become more of a uniform blue which is a bit lighter in hue. The earlier colour had a purple-grey undertone to it which made it a bit more saturated and darker. (I hope all this makes any sense!)

I guess it will be better if i just showed the pictures! Here they are. The left one is the new colour. And the right one, the old colour.

16963345695_2cfd30e62a_b.jpg

16775874440_3f53b21d7e_b.jpg

16775872470_5dff44bc55_b.jpg

I suppose it is more clearly visible in the last picture.

So what are your thoughts? Please share your views. If you haven't noticed it, do you think you will like the new colour? And if you already noticed this, What is your opinion?

Edited by cjpandya

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cjpandya

• Tresconik

• hari317

• New_Falcon

I don't know, to me, I like the sample on the left better.

Yes Hari bhai, that is the new colour. I am still deciding on which one i like more because i have been using the old blue for almost 15 years on and off! Although the new colour does appear "fresh!"

The new colour is brighter and also more intense in density. If the older colour appeals more, and if the manufacturer offers a magenta-hued ink, experiment by adding a drop of magenta to 2mL of ink and work from there. It's important the magenta doesn't include a yellow tone in its chromatography.

The older ink actually looks less dense in terms of pigment as well which could be achieved by diluting the new ink slightly. Does the new ink flow from your pens differently?

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

The new colour is brighter and also more intense in density. If the older colour appeals more, and if the manufacturer offers a magenta-hued ink, experiment by adding a drop of magenta to 2mL of ink and work from there. It's important the magenta doesn't include a yellow tone in its chromatography.

The older ink actually looks less dense in terms of pigment as well which could be achieved by diluting the new ink slightly. Does the new ink flow from your pens differently?

Thanks for the great tip! The flow is i presume a bit on the drier side than the previous one. Not much though. Will explore more as i go. And bdw, congratulations on Australia winning the Cricket World Cup! :thumbup: The team did good.

what is the manuf date on these new bottles?

As i mentioned in the post. The dates range from Mid-Late 2014 on different bottles. Also the packaging has changed. The Packaging changed Probably towards the end of 2014.

Here are the pictures of one such ink pot packaging.

16347733753_b06209aac5_z.jpg

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rRgK6Y]16966499182_1cece125b1_z.jpg

Edited by cjpandya

I bought three bottles of Camlin Royal blue last week at Thrissur, Kerala. The date on the packs is 11/2014. The packing is not the new one though. I don't know if the colour is different. Well, let me compare with the old bottle that my daughter has.

Regards

Subramoniam

Yes, the old one is purplish and the new one is like indigo. Like new blue better.

Regards

Subramoniam

Thank you. I should read the posts more carefully. :)

No worries. You're most welcome Hari Sir! :) :)

Edited by cjpandya

Yes, the old one is purplish and the new one is like indigo. Like new blue better.

Great! I think they may have changed their formula for their other colour inks as well. Will have to try the black and the red. I did not use the camlin black ink much because it has a tendency to shift more toward a dark grey rather than true black. Will have to see how or if the "new" black differs.

I bought three bottles of Camlin Royal blue last week at Thrissur, Kerala. The date on the packs is 11/2014. The packing is not the new one though. I don't know if the colour is different. Well, let me compare with the old bottle that my daughter has.

The packaging was that of the old one in November as well? It seems i have been mistaken. I will update my post.

I don't like the new blue.. noticing more bleed through with it.

Is it so? Which book/paper do you use?

I bought a bottle and the manufacture date is 11/2014 and it's the old packaging.

It's the first time I'm using this ink so I wouldn't be able to tell if it's changed at all.

WTT: My Lamy 2000 Fine nib for your Lamy 2000 Broad nib.

Is it so? Which book/paper do you use?

It was the ink I used in my ebponite eyedropper fitted with a broad JoWo nib, and it worked fine on the Navneet books.

The new formulation bleeds through though.

So now I've switched to Quink.

I bought a bottle and the manufacture date is 11/2014 and it's the old packaging.

It's the first time I'm using this ink so I wouldn't be able to tell if it's changed at all.

Yeah fair enough! How do you like the colour though?

It was the ink I used in my ebponite eyedropper fitted with a broad JoWo nib, and it worked fine on the Navneet books.

The new formulation bleeds through though.

So now I've switched to Quink.

Oh, That's unfortunate my friend that you had to switch the ink itself. I am yet to try it on navneet paper. Bdw Do you like the Quink's Blue ink? I feel it's a rather dull colour than the good saturated colour of the Camlin or the Brill inks.

Oh, That's unfortunate my friend that you had to switch the ink itself. I am yet to try it on navneet paper. Bdw Do you like the Quink's Blue ink? I feel it's a rather dull colour than the good saturated colour of the Camlin or the Brill inks.

I don't like Quink in fine nibbed pens. It's kept specifically for the broad nib, since that nib puts down a lot of ink so it looks more saturated. Also, a colour that isn't that bright I find, is less straining on the eyes after a while and so easier to study from :)