Vintage Ink Pif - Open To Conus And Internationals!

webgeckos

Ever wonder what ink from 1930s through 1960s was like?

Ever want to try a vintage ink in your vintage pen?

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm186/webgecko1webgeckos/ink_zpspzwiimxb.jpg

Many members could not take advantage of Johnboz's generous PIF of vintage inks because they aren't (lucky enough to live) in Colorado. I know folks were sad to miss out, as I would have been, because of geographic limits. To remedy this, I am offering sample vials of his vintage inks as a PIF.

Care and feeding of Ink Bottles: Because two of the bottles had mold, which John had marked clearly, I will take the precaution of three washings, in 100% white vinegar, of the lids and bottle mouths/necks. This will be done before any bottle is opened. NB: I haven't finished disinfecting the bottles, hence I haven't opened them and smelled for molds etc. If I find anything iffy in ink it will be edited out of this post.

This might also run longer than is traditional, but I am aware many people travel to celebrate Easter with family, or are on Spring Break, and I wanted to be sure everyone had a fair chance to see this post.

All Vials of Vintage ink will be clearly labelled and numbered. I will ship them in ziplock baggies. For CONUS winners, they will go in USPS priority mail boxes, size small. For Internationals, I will be aiming for the padded 6 x 9 USPS international mailers, but I am not certain if all of the vials can fit. More on this below.

PIF Rules of Engagement - read this carefully before signing up.

This PIF is open to all members, CONUS and International!

I will put together 8 packets of samples of John's Vintage Inks. These will include the following:

QUINK with Solv-x: Permanent Black, Washable Black, Washable Violet, Washable Brown - MOST of the bottles state its one of 9 colors (4 perm, 5 washable.)

One states 7 available colors with 2 being permanent Blue and Black. This sample is Permanent Black, and it has a purplish-brownish cast to it.

QUINK (no Solv-x listed on label) Black (doesn't say if it is permanent or washable,) this bottle looks older than the Solv-x ones, label is black background on the sides with white text.

Shaeffer's Chemopure - Permanent Red #16

Sanford Pen It Royal Blue #226 - on opening the boxes to clean found both bottles are empty. Sorry.

Winners will be determined by Random Number Generator.

This PIF will close on April 6th, 2015 at 5:59 pm MST or one minute before Midnight GMT/UTC.

Winners will be announced later that night.

I will try and send out the shipments within 48 hours -- but this depends on how crazy work is -- for International airmail winners I wouldn't ship until I received the shipping cost via Paypal.

CONUS MEMBER NOTES:

I will cover the cost of shipping USPS Priority small box costs to any CONUS address. You are welcome to chip in if you wish, but it isn't necessary.

INTERNATIONAL MEMBER NOTES:

This PIF is open for all members, International as well as CONUS members, with the following conditions:

You must be in a country where I can legally send you mail to be eligible for this PIF. I'm sorry but I cannot mail to the following places: Libya, Lebanon, Somalia, Belarus, Sudan, North Korea, Iraq, Yemen, Myanmar (formerly Burma), Liberia, Zimbabwe, Balkans, the Cote D'Ivoire (formerly Ivory Coast) due to US Postal Restrictions.

Also: As I don't have the material sheets for these inks, I probably cannot ship to Singapore.

International Shipping Options/Details:

1. A 6" x 9" padded envelope will cost USD 24.50 to ship AIRMAIL and takes 7-10 days to most countries. It might not take all the sample vials, we'll have to work out a larger container or less samples. I leave this to the winner's discretion.

2. It is possible to send it normal first class mail for around USD $10.00. I have no idea how long it will take to get there.

For Customs I will list the vials as a gift of fountain pen ink. I will hand write a note saying I had these and hoped you would enjoy them to celebrate the spring.. just so it is clear they are a legitimate gift. I will put a customs value on the form as USD $5.00. I am not responsible for any taxes at your end.

No samples will be shipped internationally until I get the postage sent (AS A GIFT PLEASE, otherwise I eat 5% of the costs) to my paypal.

To Enter:

Post that you are IN.

NOTE TO PEOPLE IN JOHNBOZ's INK PIF Thread:

You'll need to post here, please. It just will make my life easier if everyone is in one thread. I apologize if it is inconvenient.

And to entice you some more... look at this beautiful Violet ink, it is the washable QUINK with Solv-x:

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm186/webgecko1webgeckos/violet_zpspc6gbb7y.jpg

This is my first at this, if I messed up rules or clarity, please be kind to a nervous newb :)

ETA - Change/updates log:

1. That the Sanford bottles were empty, sorry.

2. That one bottle of the Quink Solv-x Black actually lists only 7 Colors - of which only Blue and Black are listed as Permanent Options. This might help you date the ink. It has a purplish-brownish tint to it.

3. The Quink Washable Brown looks kind of thick. I will still send it but you might want to only use it with a dip pen.

Edited by webgeckos

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• webgeckos

• alarickc

• londonbooks

• Chudgins50

Yes please, add me to the random list. Especially the violet which I was eyeing off online last night. International shipping option #2 is preferable please. Thanks to both of you for your generosity.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

I am not entering.

I did want to say that if you are international and you win, you may want to take a look at the United States Postal Service site to estimate the shipping costs to your locale once webgeckos knows how much the final packages will weigh. The first class shipping costs may vary wildly depending on distance/weight.

Edited by fireant

I'm in Michigan- would love to try this! :) I have no idea how long ink lasts (or should last?) is there a guideline for that or just try it and if it works its good? :)

We turn not older with years, but newer with days. ~ Emily Dickinson

I'd love to try!! Count me in please.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Oh what the hell, might as well jump in, GERONIMO!

-RTMC

Favorite Ink and Pen Combinations:

Monteverde Jewelria in Fine with Noodlers Liberty's Elysium

Jinhao x450 with a Goulet X-Fine Nib with Noodlers Liberty's Elysium

Lamy Al-Star BlueGreen in Extra Fine with Parker Quink Black

Pilot Metropolitan in Medium with Parker Quink Black

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

This is very generous of you... I love the idea of sampling these vintage inks... as I understand it, other than the super quink / super chrome parker inks these vintage inks are usually pretty darn good and relatively speaking safe (when compared to the super saturated colors we have today)

Please count me in!

Thanks

This is amazing. Thank you for doing this. Hopefully I'll get lucky.

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

i would like to be counted in as well thanks and thanks for a generous PIF ....I live in south Carolina USA

Cathy :bunny01:

:happyberet:

I'm in, please!! This is so generous of you to do for us!!

...love vintage....

So, what's your point?

(Mine is a flexible F.)