Removing Piston Mechanism Problem

mislav

I already posted same topic in Repair Q&A forum, but didn't get clear answer. According to the advice of senior member of the forum I am re-posting it here in hope someone who know the answer will see it.

Another piston problem... I am not sure how to remove piston mechanism from Montblanc 264 fountain pen. I tried to unscrew it, but it does not go. I am afraid to use more force... Is there any special tool to remove it or I should just use more force.

May the force be with you! :)

post-120426-0-72883400-1427451737_thumb.jpg

Edited by mislav

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mislav

• fountainbel

• FredRydr

• NickRS

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually, you do need to uncrew it. The piston is screwed in the body. Since it is harder to unscrew it, you can try soaking the body only in warm water and later aplying heat on the area of the body where the thread should be. Then you should unscrew the piston by strongly gripping on the small thing between the turning knob and the body. Make sure you don't turn the knob, othervise it can crack and break the piston.

You can also try searching to do that o whatever 24X, 25X and 34X model since all of them have the same type od pistons.

Nick

Actually, you do need to uncrew it. The piston is screwed in the body. Since it is harder to unscrew it, you can try soaking the body only in warm water and later aplying heat on the area of the body where the thread should be. Then you should unscrew the piston by strongly gripping on the small thing between the turning knob and the body. Make sure you don't turn the knob, othervise it can crack and break the piston.

You can also try searching to do that o whatever 24X, 25X and 34X model since all of them have the same type od pistons.

Nick

Exactly !

Soak the barrel end in warm water, open the filling knob completely- avoiding damaging the filling knob- and gripping just on the riffled ring at the barrel end one can unscrew the piston cartridge turning counter clock wise.

Note one normally needs a special set of pinchers with feature thin jaws and a gripping bore only slightly larger as the diameter of the riffled ring.

I expect the gripping bore of the original MB tool even featured small teeth which mated with the riffing grooves…….

So be careful not to damage the riffled ring!

Alternatively you can also unscrew the cartridge by opening the filling knob completely and gripping on the threads on which the filling knob screws on.

But also here you better use a set of pinchers having 3 mm thick jaws ( just fitting between the opened filling knob) and a gripping diameter only little larger as the diameter of the threads.

The wall thickness beneath the threads being rather thin, be careful so you don't crack the threads !

Wishing you success !

Francis

Hi mislav

Here are a couple of links you might like. The first is on this forum, from a while ago:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/234216-50s-montblanc-264/

The second is on a site that is linked to from this forum's pinned index. It does not contain the 264 but has others (262) that will be very similar internally and give you an idea of what you are dealing with.

http://www.caprafico.com/tld/www.caprafico.com/files/360304697.pdf

Edit: ... or send it to Francis

Edited by Rowbo

You don't know what you need until you realise you haven't got it.

What Francis wrote.

A while back I worked on a 342 with the same piston. I used a rubber cork with a hole through the center to grip the knurled ring on the piston and unscrewed it.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/266645-342-section-removal/

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.

--William Makepeace Thackeray

Visit my blog to see the pens I have for sale

Paul's Pens

Thank you all for great tips! I will consider it all, check pen, all links and try to do the best I can.

I will do it in day or two and let you know how it went.

Thank you all, it was great help!

• 4 years later...