Re-Sizing Images

Ruaidhri

Dearly Beloved,

We are trying to keep the size of images in posts to 600 pixels wide.

Mainly for 'viewability' on smaller screens.

Note:

For Avatars - max is 140x140

For images in Signatures - use 375 width

For anyone having problems re-sizing images in general, here are a few suggestions -

* Important *

Remember to use a new name (eg photo_a unless you want to over-write the original picture on your 'pooter.

FREE STUFF

Photofiltre and GIMP are both freeware and quite solid applications which will cover most needs (and very handy for family shots as well) smile.gif

Photofiltre

Can be downloaded here-

PhotoFiltre Download

GIMP

Can be downloaded here-

GIMP Download

Be sure to get the GTK also- read the page biggrin.gif

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>Re-Sizing</span>

Start GIMP

1. Ctrl O to open file
  2. Navigate to your file & double click on it to open the image
  3. On the Menu Bar click Image and select Scale Image
  4. Set Width to 600, ignore height
  5. Leave X resolution at 320.000 pixels/in
  6. Leave Y resolution at 320.000 pixels/in
  7. Click Scale button
  8. On the Menu Bar click File, then Save As...
  9. Make sure it is as a ".jpg"
  10. In the requester that appears when you hit save move the slider to 50 (this is plenty for our purposes).
  11. Pick a name and a folder
  12. Whack OK

Done.

Start PhotoFiltre

1. Ctrl O to open file
  3. On the Menu Bar click Image and select Image Size
  4. Set Width to 600, ignore height
  5. Leave Resolution at 320.00 pixels/inch
  6. Make sure 'Preserve Aspect Ratio' and 'Optimise' are ticked
  7. Click OK
  8. On the Menu Bar click File, then Save As...
  10. Pick a name and a folder
  11. Click Save
  12. In the requester that appears when you hit save move the slider to 50 (this is plenty for our purposes).
  13. Don't tick the 'Compression' box
  14. Whack OK

Done.

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>Photoshop</span>

Start Photoshop

1. Ctrl O to open file
  3. On the Menu Bar click Image and select Image Size
  4. Set Width to 600, ignore height.
  5. Leave Resolution at 320.00 pixels/inch
  6. Make sure Scale Styles, Constrain Proportions boxes are ticked
  7. On the Menu Bar click File, then Save As...
  8. Pick a name and a folder
  10. In the requester that appears when you hit set the quality to 5 (this is plenty for our purposes).
  11. Whack OK

Done.

Note: In all the above, if you change the resolution check that the width is still at 600.

In Photoshop you may need to change the width back.

If all this is gobbledegook don't be put off - it's mainly a load of old jargon biggrin.gif

Any problems - send a PM to Ruaidhrí and I'll have a shot at fixing it.

Also If anyone knows and has used other solid freeware for Win or Mac, could you please send me a PM with details and I'll add them in ?

There is also a free Power Toy for Windows that is quick and simple - it can be downloaded here - scroll down the right hand side of the screen and click on Image Resizer.

You won't see it in your program list, but when you right click on an image the resizer option will appear in the context menu - be sure you have made a copy of your pic first if you need the original.

There are a bunch of other goodies there too - the Calc is cool smile.gif

Regards,

Ruaidhrí

Useful link for Mac users, from IANAN - HERE

Just in: some more info for iPhoto users from arikol:

Here are the steps, this goes for the latest iPhoto (iPhoto '11) but the steps are very similar in older versions.

Best is to do:

Select the images you want to resize (shift-click for adding pictures to the selection)

File -> Export

Just have the "file export" tab selected (all the other ones do some extra funny stuff)

the options can be set as:

Kind: JPEG

JPEG Quality: Medium

Size: Medium (or small)

File name: either "use filename" or "sequential" If "sequential is selected then all the files receive a name which you have to specify in the next field (prefix for sequential) plus a number. If you write PENPHOTO in the "prefix for sequential" field then your pictures will be named PENPHOTO001, PENPHOTO002, etc..

Press the "export" button, and select where to export them (I usually put them on the desktop or in a folder on the desktop). After posting them to fountainpennetwork then you can delete them from the desktop (the export location), that will not affect your original photos in iPhoto.

Thanks arikol

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ruaidhri

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days