Hello both, I thought you'd have something worth considering! Yes, heat too, and without mentioning outright anything quite so vulgar, it is of course it's the alchemy involved in producing a coveted wet noodle that's in the back of my mind... but don't tell anyone. Klondike stuff this.... and just as elusive.

I know, it's easier to cough up and buy one, but think of the fun if you discovered the key to "releasing" a nib, even just a little bit! Incidentally I know it can't happen, that it must be me that's changing, but I'd swear that my #3 3261, (untouched by human hand since 1950ish - or so it seemed) has with some use "released it's cheeks" a bit. "Silly boy" I hear you cry.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wet-Noodle

• Cob

• Scrawler

• Goudy

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the factors in the production of flexible nibs, is the craftsman's skill in tempering the metal. You are correct that shape and alloy are also factors, but heating a nib incorrectly is the one thing we can all do. If you heat a nib to the point the temper goes, you will have a soft thing that will not spring back. There are very few craftsmen left who can fix that for you. There are a few who can gold solder, or weld them, but their services are expensive. I have a friend who has recently obtained the equipment for gold soldering, and I have given him some old Watermans to practice on.

Yes, when working on classic cars, I had from time to time do some delicate welding> We had a sort of red clay like material, which when mixed with water into a putty-like consistency, was applied to the part one did not want to get hot. I suppose a similar material is used when soldering up cracked nibs. I was very annoyed to find just yesterday that a very nice flexible Swan 2 I had in mind for a pen I was rebuilding, had a 2mm crack in one of its shoulders; now it has joined the quite large bag of "casualties"

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Yes, when working on classic cars, I had from time to time do some delicate welding> We had a sort of red clay like material, which when mixed with water into a putty-like consistency, was applied to the part one did not want to get hot. I suppose a similar material is used when soldering up cracked nibs. I was very annoyed to find just yesterday that a very nice flexible Swan 2 I had in mind for a pen I was rebuilding, had a 2mm crack in one of its shoulders; now it has joined the quite large bag of "casualties"

Cob

Yes there is a putty specifically for this purpose. I will have to ask my friend about it. I was chatting to him a while ago, when I gave him the Waterman to practice with. He did tell what it was called, but senility has set in.

Yes there is a putty specifically for this purpose. I will have to ask my friend about it. I was chatting to him a while ago, when I gave him the Waterman to practice with. He did tell what it was called, but senility has set in.

Same here: every day, another senior moment.

Tragic really.

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Same here: every day, another senior moment.

Tragic really.

Cob

It used to worry me too... But I can't remember what the problem was.